United States
South Attleboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Greatest secret agent in the world!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Chrononauts: Rich, Dave, Dan and Mark

Dave had brought along this little card game, from the makers for Fluxx, and he gave us the run down on how to play.

A time line is constructed, basically a line of cards is laid out representing events from 1865-1999. Things like Lincoln's assassination, the sinking of the Lusitania, Sputnik's launch, etc. Some of these cards are called "Linchpins" the others are "Ripple Points", or something like that. Basically history is altered when players flip the "Linchpins (so say, Lincoln survives the attempt on his life) and the effect is cascaded to 1 or more "Ripple Points" (they too are flipped). These flipped "Ripple Points" are paradoxes in the time line and need to be patched by the players. Too many paradoxes (13) and all the players lose.

Players have a hand of action cards they use to alter history, collect historical artifacts, screw other players, etc.

Each player is dealt a personality card and a mission card at game start. Each represents a path to victory. The personality card has several state criteria listed. These criteria are events in the time line that have to be set/unset for that personality to return to his own time. So say "Andy" needs the Titanic to avoid sinking, the Korean War never happened, and John Lennon to die as normal. He needs to flip the proper "Linchpins" to cause these events to happen/not happen. And then he must "patch" the appropriate paradoxes in the ripple points he created due to the cascading effects.

The mission cards are more straightforward, in the action card deck are artifacts, collect the 3 listed on your mission card and you win.

Another path to victory is to upgrade to a hand size of 10. You start with 3 cards in your hand and can sell artifacts (with the right action card) and patch paradoxes in the time line to gain cards.

It definitely has a Fluxx feel to it, somewhat random and chaotic. The strategy is light and the luck factor high (after all it basically boils down to getting the right cards at the right time). But the flavor is done really well. You do feel like a Time Lord running around mucking with recent history. I found myself reaching into my pockets in search of a jelly baby.

I recommend this one as light filler in the same category as Fluxx (although I actually enjoyed it a bit more than Fluxx, which I think, can seriously bog down at times). Rich didn't seem to enjoy it much, but Dave, Dan and I did and we forced Rich to play it twice! Ahahahah!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.