Subject: First impression rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Pabian
United States
Roswell
Georgia
flag msg tools
This was the first racing game that I had played so I wasn't sure what to expect.

I was impressed by the board (hey, it doesn't take much). After a quick inital read of the directions, we were off. I actually found the directions a little confusing at some point. For example, does each person draw from their cards, from a face-down pile or do we play them using some strategy? At first it seemed that you could do it either way and the directions didn't say either way for sure.

Now, it was just two of us playing so after the initial auction, we couldn't agree what we should do; should we randomly choose cards or should we play strategy? We decided to try each way.

At first, playing with the movement cards face down, it was certainly enjoyable to play, but we ended up having cars way out in front, while a couple were really, really, behind. Each race, at least one car did not finish since we ran out of movement cards.

The second game, we played using the card in a strategic manner; we played them with intent. This time, the game was much more agressive and the cars finished more or less in a pack. And after all cars finished, we had several cards left over. We ultimately decided that this was the way to go.

While this might have been obvious to some, the other games I have are pretty specific on how to play the cards, so having left it to our interpreptation of the rules, we just had to try it either way.

Now the game play was fun, and we enjoyed trying to shut each other down in the turns. The person I was playing with had cars finish first and second for the first two races and it was pretty clear he was going to win in overall. I think I would have liked it if it was a little closer and not so obvious that he would be the overall winner.

Overall, I was indeed impressed with this game. I like the board, the pieces, and the cards. I compared it to a type of Uno, but with cars. The "switch" cards introduced a sort of mental break; which made us stop, think, and make sure we were getting it right. So I really liked the stratagy part of this game.

I think it will be a classic in our library.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crocker
United States
Westland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I write this, the game is on it's way to me in the mail, so I've never played the game. But reading information at this site, and the listing for "Daytona 500" (essentially the same mechanics), it seems clear to me that you DO NOT play the game with a "blind" draw of your hand. I mean you have to look at your hand in order to do the bidding phase, so it makes no sense at all to play blindly after that. It does appear that you had more fun in your 2nd playing of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tortio wrote:
I was impressed by the board (hey, it doesn't take much).

I got a kick out of that line (since I've NEVER heard anyone say that DCGP was anything but butt ugly).

I've never played it but own and love Daytona 500. Assuming the rules are the same (a pretty safe assumption) then, yes, you have a hand of cards to pick and choose from. In fact, you get your hand BEFORE the auction so that you know which cars you want.

I can't imagine how it could possibly work with drawing from a face down stack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Pabian
United States
Roswell
Georgia
flag msg tools
Like I said, my intial thought was that is could be played either way since it did explicitly say either way. This was the first game I've owned/played that used movement cards so I just wasn't sure.

Yes, we had more fun the second time since I really like applying strategy over random luck.

I don't think the board is ugly at all. Simply a nice quality board with nice graphics.

I should probably mention that I picked this game up at a store closing sale, so I had no expectations either way when I picked it. I really just wanted to try a racing game of this nature. It was a rather pleasant suprise.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.