Armageddon came to elftown

Player Signup:
1) Royalflush - Elf Bodyguard, Avatar of Doug - won with team Doug
2) Seppi - Elf Healer (lynched Day 3), now a spirit
3) Greek2Me - Goblin Bully (killed night 4), now a spirit
4) Genghis - Elf Blacksmith, Avatar of Levi - lost with team Levi/Village
5) BagpipeDan - Goblin Bartender (lynched Day 1), now a zombie
6) SevenSpirits - Secret Zombie (killed night 1), now a zombie
7) Oilslider - War, the 2nd Horseman of the Apocalypse (lynched day 5), now a shadow
8) Dragonbane11 - Goblin Begger (lynched day 4), now a spirit
9) Farren - Elf Watchman (killed night 2), now a zombie
10) Beowulf - Elf Mystic, achieved personal victory
11) Belash - Secret Zombie - won with zombies
12) Ineac Spielguy -Goblin Bookie (killed by EVERYONE night 6), now mush
13) Ithicks - Plague, the 1st Horseman of the Apocalypse (lynched day 6), now a shadow
14) GrimJester - Goblin Thief - lost with village
15) DarthVain - Goblin Shaman (lynched Day 2), now a spirit, alive day 3, killed night 3, now a zombie
16) Rostok - Famine, the 3rd Horseman of the Apocalypse, lost with killers
17) Seamusk - Secret Zombie (lynched day 6), now a zombie

Non-player Signup
A) Xandryyte - Team Doug - won
B) Javal Bowman - Team Levi- lost
C) Alexfrog - Team Doug- won
D) LudesFactor - Team Levi- lost

-Munch "my subliminals are working" Wolf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Elftown 3: Death Takes a Holiday ... Apr 5th - 14th
Yes ... it's the sequel to Elftown: Goblin Invasion.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/90756

and to Elftown 2: Warren Piece
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/99842

RULES
shamelessly stolen from ET2

Rules follow stardard Werewolf (WW) rules. One side is the WW and the other is the village. Each daycycle all players vote to lynch a player they suspect is a WW. Each nightcycle anyone with special actions act (including a night kill by the WW). The game ends when all WW are
killed (village win), or when there are as many WWs as villagers (WW win). No one is allowed to PM any other player unless their role allows it (traditionally only WWs can PM each other). There will be role reveal at death.

Ok, not gonna BS yah this time . The rules do follow the standard WW format. There is a daycycle where players vote to lynch a player, and a nightcycle where things happen. No one is allowed to PM any other player unless their role allows it. There will be name/race/role reveal
at death (unless some event interfers).

VOTING/LYNCHING
NIGHT falls at 7:30PM BGG time. At this time, the player with the highest number of votes will most likely be lynched. A tie will probably be broken by longest held vote. Any votes timestamped after 7:30PM BGG time will not count.

Players may vote for nightfall. If enough people vote nightfall so that the outcome is unquestionable, then it will be done. You cannot change your vote or unvote nightfall once you have done so.

Players may vote for themselves.

Votes need to be in bold to be counted, as per standard. You must do a bold unvote of someone before voting for someone else. You are allowed to unvote without having a new vote ready.

Vote posts that are edited will not count.

CONDITIONAL VOTES
Conditional votes may be accepted, as long as they are not placed within an hour of lynchtime. Conditional votes for nightfall are not accepted. If a conditional vote is worded in such a way that more than one person could be the target of the vote, it will not be allowed.

All conditional votes are public, and any can be rejected at any time for any reason. Conditional votes which I feel are too confusing will be rejected outright.

If you submit a conditional vote, your number of nighttime action points is reduced by one, even if you later remove the conditional vote.

DAWN
Night orders need to be in by 10:30PM BGG each night (but can be placed at any time of the day), and dawn will occur once I have processed all night orders. Night orders not received will be randomly determined.

DEATH
Players die. I ask that anyone who is removed from the game by death to NOT talk about the game with other dead people (or anyone who might talk with other dead people). There may or may not be events in the game that allow players in the game to converse with dead characters. There also may or may not be events in the game that could bring dead players back into the game.

The game is Death Takes a Holiday, and as some have guessed, it works a bit differently in this game. When players die, they are still in the game. The may vote, although their vote counts only half, and they may post ONCE with a post of content (a post that says something besides just vote). They cannot be voted for, and no long are considered elves, goblins, nor killers (they get a new classification, and there may be more than one). This is the general rule for all dead. Some players may 'move on' which means they leave the game for good, and can no longer post nor vote. More on this later.

MISC
Only editing of posts if you need to correct minor spelling/grammar. No editing posts at all when you have died. No posting from the dead (although the obligatory zombie post is acceptable).

Players with night actions will be notified if they get a night 0 action. All N0 actions will be randomly determined and any information gained by them will be supplied with your character.

Mod information/rules text or questions from players in red.Players may pm with questions that they do not wish to ask aloud, of course.

SIDES
The two sides for this game are the Goblins and the Elves. Players will be PMd their side along with their role at the beginning of the game. The elves win if they defeat the goblins, and vice versa.

The previous game, I had posted the above, that there were two sides. Someone suggested that there might be three sides, and I commented on it. It was brought up that if I hadn't commented, then maybe people could have explored other possibilities, and finally figured out what was going on. I have to agree with them, and therefor, I will not state any information on what sides may or may not be in the game.

In the previous two games the 'wolves' technically won each, so to make it a bit easier for the village I will let you in on a secret: If you are a goblin or an elf, you are a villager (no exceptions). Your goal is for all the killer roles to die. If you are a killer role, you therefor will not be revealed as a goblin, nor an elf. Your goal is for the number of killers to meet parity with the village or outnumber the village.

See, simple.

If you are new, pay very close attention to what I'm not saying above. The words of the rules are specifically selected.

ROLES

Following are possible roles in the game. Some roles won't be included, some roles not listed will be included, and exact numbers of each role type will not be listed. Abilities listed are guidelines, and only players PMd with that role will know their precise abilities/limitations.

Ok, not gonna BS you on what roles could be or could not be in the game. I will let you know that there will definitely be at least one elf and one goblin in this game. There will also be at least one non-elf, non-goblin role. I will not comment on what other roles are in the game (except below where I mention there is at least one item creator ... and then any other exceptions I can think of). Players will get a race/role/side, which will be revealed at death (most likely). Remember, goblins and elves are villagers. Killers are not.

So, in the previous game, each player had 2 action points, and some specific actions they could perform. That worked, but was a bit complex. This game will go back to 1 action each night, but there will be a list of possible actions players can take. Different roles could get bonuses performing some of these actions, or could get unique actions not listed (example: The killer's ability to kill, or a looker's ability to look at someone).

Players also get money, which can be spent on items or actions. They also get a salary each day, which can fluctuate depending on what people did the previous day. Players will start with 1-5 gold, and have a base salary of 1 gold + 1 per special event (example +1 for each player that buys from the weapon shop on the previous day)

Actions available to all players are:

Sleep - do nothing. This is the default action of everyone who fails to submit an action.

Gamble - Spend X gold (no more than you have), and name a player, and whether they will be the night kill or the daytime lynch. If you are correct you get double your gold back.

Steal - Target a player, and attempt to steal something from them. The results are random:
1 (or below): You are Spotted and wounded
2: You are Wounded
3: You are Spotted
4: You are get nothing, but not spotted
5: You are steal a cheap item or 1d4 gold
6: You are steal an expensive item or 1d4+2 gold
above 6: additional items or gold.
If you specifically say you are only targetting items or targetting gold you get a +1 to this role.

Attack - Target a player, and attempt to wound them. The results are random:
1 (or below): You are Spotted and wounded
2: You are Wounded
3: You are Spotted
4: Nothing happens
5 or higher: You wound your target
Some items give a bonus to this role.

Get Drunk - Spend money to take one or more random actions. You may or may not remember it:
1 Gold - you get a random action for the night. You have a 5/6th chance of remembering.
3 Gold - you get TWO random actions for the night. You have a 3/6th chance of remembering each.
6 Gold - you get THREE random actions for the night. You have a 1/6th chance of remembering each.
10 Gold - you get FOUR random actions for the night. You will not remember any of them.
Random actions:
1: Sleep
2: Steal from a random player
3: Attack a random player
4: Pray
5: Guard
6: Protect a random player

Pray - Select a specific non-living player type (Non-players, Spirits, Restless Dead, etc). Any votes cast on you tomorrow from that group does not count.

Guard - reduce all attack roles against you during the night by 1. You have a 50% chance of absorbing a wound against you this night.

Protect - Target a player. If they are dealt damage (from being attacked, a kill result, or from failing a steal/attack - for example), damage will be randomly divided between you and the person you are protecting. Any attack role against that player is reduced by 1. Any attack role MADE by that player is increased by one.

Give to Charity - Spend X money. Some of it may be redistributed to villagers that need it.

Stuff Ballots (added on page 7) - If you select this night action, pay X gold (a value determined by you, and yes, zero is a legit value). Everyone who selects this action gets a Secret Vote in the morning of variable power. The player(s) who spent the highest value on this action get a full strength vote. The player(s) who spent the least value on this action get a ZERO strength vote. All the players inbetween get a 1/2 strength vote. You learn the strength of your secret vote.

To use this vote, send a PM to the mod, with your selected target. That player gets 'secret vote' placed next to them, but the strength of the vote isn't revealed. You cannot unvote this secret vote.

Get high (added on page 11) - The first time you use this action is free, afterwards it costs 2 gold more than your previous time using it. You get a vision, as if you had drunk a potion of visions. Using this action has a 50% chance of making you hungry for just the following day. There is also an increasing 1/6 chance that using this action will make you addicted. An addicted person will be sick on any day following a night that they don't use this action.

Warning - using this action in conjuction with a potion of visions will mess you up. You become sick and hungry at the start of each day, but as a free action you get a vision each night.

Deny Existence (added on page 11) - This is a night action that targets a non-player (so choose which of the four you are denying when you select this action). Each day the single non-player with the MOST people denying their existence CANNOT post (no content, no non-content, no votes, no actions). If there is a tie for most, then all tied non-players are limited to 3 posts of all type that day. Any other non-player whose Existence is Denied is limited to 5 posts of all type that day. This lasts until the following morning.

Non-players who are not denied can still post freely.

Romance (added on page 17)- Target another player. The following day you can send up to 3 PMs to them. This does not give them the ability to respond by PM.

Warning: If you target a player who also targetted you with romance then you fall in love. You gain unlimited free PM ability with the person for the rest of the game. You may not vote for this person, nor kill them (if you are a killer). Your fellow killers can kill them though. You may still perform any other action against them, including attacking and stealing (hey, love hurts). A villager who falls in love with a killer loses their original VC, and now wins if the killers win. They are not counted at all when calculating if the killers have parity with the village. Once you fall in love, you cannot take this action again (sorry, no two-timing allowed).

Also, two old actions have upgrades:
Pray (added on page 17) - you can still pray to keep votes from a specific un-player type away from you, but now you can Pray TO a specific non-player. Praying to a non-player has the opposite effect of Denying Existence.

Steal (added on page 17) - you can still steal from players, but now you can also steal from stores (which will be guarenteed to have money). Note: Stores will have unknown security precautious (with results beyond what is listed on the normal theft table), so careful if you select this.

Loot the dead (added on page 21) - Target a spirit. A steal roll at +1 is performed against them (addition +1 if you specify items or gold, just like normal stealing). Items/abilities that help stealing help here. You cannot loot zombies.

Warning: Any spirit you loot will be notified you looted from them. If they vote for you on the following day, it will be at full strenght.

Boost moral (added on page 21) - Try to cheer people up. Target another player. Any night action they perform is at +1.

Embrace the fog (added on page 27) - Um ... you don't know what this does, but it sounds cool. Try it.

---

The killers may perform one kill each night. A kill effectively inflicts 3 wounds on the target. It takes 2 wounds to kill a target. This is an FYI, in case you wish to plan protect/guarding actions (with objects).

ORDER OF NIGHT ACTIONS
This needed it's own section. The order of night actions is my discretion. Night kills happen when they happen. All night results are revealed at the same time.

ORDER OF DAY ACTIONS
There are only two day actions (besides voting).

* Passing Objects - Players can pass items and gold freely amongst each other during the daytime (and only in the daytime). There are three ways you may pass an item or gold:
1) Announce in the thread that you are passing the item or gold (in bold). Example: Pass sword to xandryyte
you must have the appropriate item to pass, and the result is instant.
2) PM the player that you are passing the item (with me CCd). That is the ONLY thing you can place in the PM, and this is the only reason a player may PM another player (if they don't already have permission).
3) PM me that you are passing an item, and I will PM the player that they are receiving an item. They will NOT learn who they get the item from.

* Buying Objects - You may only buy items during the daytime. Prices/items will be announced at gamestart. Prices may fluctuate, and items may be added or removed from the available list eash morning. Any item mentioned in the morning will be available all day. To buy an item, send me a PM that you are buying an item. I will verify the PM. You then have that item (and lose the gold spent).

The general rule of thumb for price fluctuation is; items purchased multiple days in a row will go up in price, items not purchased multiple days in a row will go down in price, and the most purchased item each day will not be available for purchase on the following day (sold out). Events that happen will add items each morning.

ITEMS
Unlike the previous ET game, when you die, your items and gold go with you. They are not redistributed, and players do not learn what you had.

Also, some items are one use (potions and whatnot), while some are multiuse (swords, shields, etc). All multiuse items have a 'decay' factor. The first time they are used, they work. Each time after the first, they have an increasing 1d6 chance of breaking when used (with a 50/50 chance of giving it's bonus when it breaks).

VICTORY
The careful eye will notice what I don't say above, and that is, I don't list how the game will end, or what the victory conditions are. Pat yourself on the back for noticing.

The game ends when the game ends. There are set ending conditions. Some players may know them (or some of them), and some players won't (that would be YOU). When the game ends, it is calculated who has achieved victory and who hasn't. Tada.

Unlike the previous Elftown games, I state the victory conditions up front. The village wins by killing the killers. The killers win by reaching parity or surpasing the village.

The dead do not count as villagers or killers, so their victory conditions remain a mystery for now.

STATUS
Something brushed upon last game, but was a part of it, were Statuses ... stati? Status. Unless otherwise stated, everyone is fine. There are possible other status, which will be mentioned in your morning email.

Here are some examples of Status that might be in the game:
Quote:
Wounded - You have been badly wounded. If you get wounded again, you die. You get no nighttime action until this status is removed.
Gooed - You are covered in a green, sticky goo. You may not unvote. You can remove this status by spending a night action to clean goo

Note, wounded (in this example) doesn't tell you how to remove that status. This is done on purpose.

FYI: Death isn't a negative status. Death is death. If you have something that cures negative statuses, it won't work on this. Two wounds equals instant death.

QUESTIONS?
People are free to ask questions. If the answer is something that can and should be publically known, then a public answer will be given. If the answer is only something privately known, then it will be given privately. If the answer is something you have no way of knowing, a vague answer will be given (ok, it will probably be vague in all cases ... but this case is more vague). Please highlight any questions in red

THERE ARE NO GIANT BOULDERS. Players are free to post anything they want, including anything I PM them. They are also free to make up stuff and claim I PMd it to them. I will not correct someone pretending I sent something to them. If asked though I will correct errors about public information (so be careful with what you claim I say).

Nonplayer rule - second to last rule. There are two some non-players in the game (currently Xandryyte and Javal). They are NOT players in the game. You may not lynch them or target them with any actions (including night kills). They have no victory condition, and don't care who wins or loses (well .. maybe she does .. but she gains nothing either way).

BUT, they are allowed to post in the game as much as they want. They also may vote in the game (as many times as they like on different players each day), and each vote count 1/2 point.

They may also post certain effects/rules that take place immediately.

Restless Dead Rule

This rule does not allow players who were in the last Elftown game (but not in this one) to post though, only Xandryyte (but I guess I can't stop them from posting ... I just prefer they didn't ... without asking first ).

Players from ANY previous elftown game who are not involved in this game get a one time vote (at half strength), and may post one post with content (actual words besides vote), for each game they were in.

-Munch "let's see how many we get before I post the rules this time" Wolf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Likens
United States
Cornelius
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FIRST ! (And I better live for longer this time!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
seppi
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
No death?

okay, I'll still play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terri K
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
Good golly people... my username has a lower case x!!
badge
Females play board games too!!! ;)
mbmbmbmbmb
Non-player Signup
A) xandryyte

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wouldn't be much of a WW game if there was NO death ...

-Munch "knowing me there's a double meaning that you'll only learn by playing the game" Wolf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
She-Hulk
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Elftown 3: Death Takes a Holiday ... Apr 5th - signup
I'm in. I think I'm a masochist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rasmussen
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Kisu~
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay! More Elftown. I'm in

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You're an evil, awful, terrible man

I'm in, of course.

Just sayin' is all

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oil Slider
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Can I play? I'll give you a cookie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Valvard
msg tools
Spread the conFUDsion wherever you can...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be a non-player, if I may

If I have to be a player then *sigh* I shall.
But I'd rather interfere from the sidelines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Kelley
United States
Fort wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
the last was so much fun how could I miss this one

I am in

Shawn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
seppi
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
MunchWolf wrote:
Wouldn't be much of a WW game if there was NO death ...

-Munch "knowing me there's a double meaning that you'll only learn by playing the game" Wolf

Ahhhh... okay, I see... Death takes a holiday in Elftown cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OOoh. Can I be a non player?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well .. you see there's this whole .. "I can't say" thing ...

well .. I could say .. but that would ruin the surprise ...

-Munch "wait til I post rules ... then I'll answer questions" Wolf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexfrog wrote:
OOoh. Can I be a non player?

There are only TWO non-players ... and the spots have been filled. I can mark you as an alternative non-player if one of the non-players wants to be a player ...

or .... hmmmm .... assistant non-players ... that might be workable

-Munch "you do realize there is more to being a non-player than not playing?" Wolf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
    Conserve energy:     Play Board Games!
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice. From what I’ve tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire. But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate To say that for destruction ice Is also great And would suffice.
badge
Shake your business up and pour it. I don't have all day.
mb
I F ' O m G i ! n

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludes
United States
Honor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Gee, can I be an alternate non-player? ... seems like the thing to do with a game where we make up the rules as we go along ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are rules ... just haven't posted them yet ...

-Munch "course ... even when I have posted them .. I haven't posted them" Wolf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greig
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
Always believe
badge
I went out there in search of experience, to taste and to touch and to feel as much, as a man can before he repents...
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't need no stinkin rules... even when you post them, I won't bother reading them, so sign me up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Hutchison
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Belash wrote:
I don't need no stinkin rules... even when you post them, I won't bother reading them, so sign me up!

Fancy Seeing you here Mr. Barker. . .

I want in!
Sign me up Puh-leeze

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
How tall is justice?
Canada
Georgetown
Ontario
flag msg tools
Who IS this masked man? And WHY has he never been photographed together with 6 year old millionaire playboy Calvin?
badge
I see a world that's tired and scared of living on the edge too long.
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's give it a whirl. What's the worst that could happen?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Namaksy
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to sign up also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow .. the game is almost full, and I still haven't posted rules (which I will be posting soon) ...

-Munch "Warning to new people: At least skim the previous two Elftown games.... while this looks like a stardard WW game, there is a catch ... there is always a catch" Wolf

note: Geosmores has withdrawn from the game ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [36] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.