BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Whittling the purchase list down rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Crazy Bob
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a list of the games I'm currently looking at getting. List keeps getting bigger instead of smaller this time.
Tigris & Euphrates
AoS (Didn't really like Railroad tycoon, let's up the bid)
Power Grid (with the extra maps)
Santiago (I saw it on games with scott)
Apples to Apples (for the wide appeal.. uh... no pun intended)
Twilight stuggle
Shadows of Camelot(will it have staying power?)
Comands & Colors: ancients (is it like memoir 44? I didn't really like it)
Hammer of the Scotts(didn't like Victory! but this seems to be a different story)
LOTR: confrontation

Some games I threw out because they probably won't get played for a very long time:
Nippon Rails, etc.
War of the Ring
Lock 'n Load WWII (the flavor of ASL without the time crunch?)
Up Front (I know, I know, it's OOP)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Justin about LOTR: Confrontation, and also wanted to say that I think you should definitely get Tigris & Euphrates. It's currently my favorite game, so I may be a little biased, but it's really fun, works great with 2, 3, or 4 players, has an excellent mix of strategy and luck, and has a lot of replayability because the games often turn out very different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
caffinedrenchedfrog thegreat
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking to trade my copy of LOTR: TC.

Just in case anyone has any offers they think I would be interested in.

jp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Between my last order and my next one, I've considered a lot of the same games as you. I already own Power Grid and T&E. Both are great games. The only drawback is that T&E has rules that can be hard to get into, and requires serious thought to really play it, so if your gaming group is lighter there may be issues (although from the other games you list, probably that won't be a problem). Power grid, while just as heavy in some ways, is maybe a little easier for less-serious gamers, because the theme is so much easier to understand. I mean, once you know you are controlling an electrical utility, then of course you'll be paying money for power plants, fuel, and running power lines around the country, and of course you'll get money back for the cities that you supply to. In T&E, in a way the theme makes sense, but not in any way that is so easy to see.

Santiago looked really fun to me also, but it sounds like it really plays best with 5, and usually I play with 3 or 4. Unless you can often get exactly 5 maybe you should check around first.

Not much else I can add on the other items on your list that can't be said better by other people here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Euron Crows Eye
United Kingdom
radcliffe
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadows over Camelot I would recommend as long as you have at least 4 players , I dont think it works so well with less.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
elcomadreja2 wrote:

C&C: ANCIENTS is a "deeper" version of the same system MEMOIR '44 uses, though most folks who play it swear the differences are critical and add up to a substantially better game.

AGE OF STEAM is harder and more merciless than RAILROAD TYCOON, so I[m not sure you want to go again.

Word on replayability of SHADOWS OVER CAMELOT is mixed; some say ezxcellent in that regard, some say not so much. My own experiences ae too atypical to be any help - most of my games are with first-timers, but I know I still enjoy it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
elcomadreja2 wrote:
Here's a list of the games I'm currently looking at getting. List keeps getting bigger instead of smaller this time.

Tigris & Euphrates
Power Grid (with the extra maps)

Great games at the heavier end of the gaming spectrum. Power Grid is essentially a good resource management game with a nice auction element thrown in. E&T is just good, period.

Quote:

AoS (Didn't really like Railroad tycoon, let's up the bid)

This kid of depends on why you didn't like Railroad Tycoon. AoS is very similar but more of a brain burner so approach this with caution depending on what you're looking for.

Quote:

Shadows of Camelot(will it have staying power?)

I'd say no on this one. Lord of the Rings did something for me and it was replayable. This one really fell flat. When you consider how little LotRs gets played now days I can't imagine that Shadows Over Camelot will do much better several years from now.

Quote:

Same designer, same system BUT much better. The Command and Colors system really works well with this type of combat (ancients). Battle Cry kind of fell flat since the game employed too much luck for my tastes. You often got stuck with cards that were not of any use and there were other things I didn't like as much. Overall it was a game that I thought took all the choices away from the player. Memoir '44 brought some of those choices back. The cards could be used in multiple ways so you rarely had a card that was of no use to you. And the turnover of the cards was quicker so you could count on a card coming up if it was in the deck. However, I think Memoir '44, while a good game, isn't as well suited to the C&C system. Modern combat just doesn't seem to work as well. Ancients however works nicely. The cards are more diverse, the units are more diverse and the tactics are richer (due to numerous additions to the rules). This is the game the others were trying to be. It's a simple wargame that still allows the players choices to decide the course of the game on average.

Quote:

Hammer of the Scotts(didn't like Victory! but this seems to be a different story)

This is a completely different game from Victory. Victory is one of the weaker games from Columbia while Hammer is right up there at the top. Note that Crusader Rex is a very similar game so if you like the theme of that game better. Can't go wrong with either one.

Quote:

LOTR: confrontation

This is a great game in my opinion. It's simple and quick, easy to teach and presents the theme nicely but it's nonstop tough choices! The new version might add a bit more fiddlyness to the game as you have to decide which units to use each game. It'll add time to the game which takes away one of the nice things about the game in the first place . . . that it's quick. But, if you enjoy deck building of any kind (CCGs, Blue Moon etc. ) then this might just appeal to you more and then I'd recommend picking up the new version. At least with the new version you can still play the old version but I hate the new plastic holders in the new game, they're just too big. All nitpicking aside, this is a great game either way.

Quote:

Santiago (I saw it on games with scott)
Apples to Apples (for the wide appeal.. uh... no pun intended)
Twilight stuggle

I don't know much about these so I can't comment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.