Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Womack
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I need to do a report for my college history class on something that took place prior to 1866, and that is within US history. This something has to be a person, thing, or event that shaped history. So the topic is vague. I enjoy all aspects of history, so just about any topic will be something i enjoy. I was wondering if someone could recommend a board game that would allow me to learn about an event in US history. A particular battle would be ok even given that it was influintial in some way. Just thought this would add to the fun of doing some research, and if it doesnt exactly provide me with any exact information on a topic, perhaps it can at least aid in my understand. All ideas welcomed, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
Wilderness War might be worth a look. Lots of interesting card text to give you ideas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Heaney
United States
Quincy
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wilderness War (on the French and Indian War) is a great suggestion. Nice mix of history and game. Depending on how much you were thinking of spending, Bobby Lee is a pretty good similation of the Eastern Theater of the Civil War (or Sam Grant for the West). Both Liberty! (on the Revolutionary War) and A House Divided (on the Civil) are good, but don't quite have the depth that the other three have.

A Dark and Bloody Ground is an excellent game on a more obscure topic (the Indian/American conflict over the Ohio Valley in the 1790s). GMT's games on Revolutionary War battles (Saratoga, Brandywine, Guilford) are all very good and detailed without being overwhelming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How experienced a gamer are you? If you don't have much game experience, I might suggest Columbia Games "Quebec 1759" or "War of 1812". Both are very approachable histrorical games and cover periods that aren't well represented in American History classes.

The game I'd really recommend is "We the People". While more complex than either of the above (and sadly out of print), it definitely teaches you about aspects of the American Revolution.

For Civil War, try the Avalon Hill Gettysburg or Chancellorsville games. While out of print, they're easily available on eBay. I like the Avalanche Press Civil War games on Chatanooga and Gettysburg, but those are more complex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like it's all wargames, my friend.

I did a search of games in the American West that may help you:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/search.php3?title=&designerid=&...

I can't think of any other types of games, except Early American Chrononauts:http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/9825
But it is about all of history, and about changing the timeline.

Someone should make a Jamestown or Plymouth Rock settlement game, in the tradition of Anno 1503, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I took a closer look at the American History search I gave you.
Looks like some more possible themes for you in that search:

Gold Rush (Lost Valley)
Gunslinging, OK Corral stuff (Bang, Gutshot, etc.)
Westward expansion (Go West)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Rauscher
New Zealand
Mount Victoria
Wellington
flag msg tools
The gunslinging stuff (Bang!, et al) is more 1870's to 1890's.

Does it have to be historical events in U.S. history, or just history of the america from initial colonization? For example, you can start with Voyage of the Mayflower, a 1996 game - probably out of print (c. 1620), through to the French and Indian Wars and the American Revolution - though these are pretty big subjects for a paper (wargames include Clash for the Continent - a 2005 game - and The Revolution Game, out-of-print I believe, but geared toward educational purposes), the War of 1812 (see, e.g., for Honor and Glory), play through the Great Expansion West in Manifest Destiny (another 2005 game, so I'm sure it's available), all the way to the Civil War, for which there are hundreds of games.

How about a Rum Trade game such as Rum and Pirates? Trapper-Company (2001) purports to play out the earlier american fur trade. Battle for New Orleans is about that conflict.

Too bad there seem to be no good early U.S. politics games - a pure wargame just doesn't seem right to go with a paper, unless it's to demonstrate such issues as difficulty of movement early on, and the significance of some of the main water courses (particularly the roles of the St. Lawrence and the northern lakes might be interesting as a paper).

Sorry that I cannot speak as to the quality of any of the above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Surely some of the 18xx games depict American history? If he likes Trains...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Pranno
United States
Chardon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deguello at Dawn - Battle of the Alamo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crocker
United States
Westland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played it, but "Clash For A Continent" by Worthington Games, just may have the type of display properties you are looking for. Scenarios for both the French & Indian War, and the American Revolution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Womack
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the info guys. Not sure which I'll go with yet, still going to read through some more reviews. And you guys are correct, I'm not a very experienced gamer, the only games Ive ever played are Settlers, Axis & Allies, and Guadal Canal which I picked up at a thrift store a week or two ago, and have really enjoyed so far. Also, the time period can go back into pre-columbian times, so I could in actuality do a paper on some of the natives of america. I'm sure I can argue for just about anything being influiential in what path this country took. Thanks again guys, I'm sure with all these suggestions I'll find what I'm looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hartstein
United States
North Plainfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Early American Chrononauts is a good choice here. While it doesn't go into detail about any particular event in history, it's all about looking at the events that happened and wondering how they might have happened differently and what would have resulted. You can examine the choices made by the designer, research the events, and then present as your paper your opinion on the timeline and alternates presented by the game. Depending on the size of your paper, you'd probably want to narrow your focus on a small section of the timeline.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.