Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Heaney
United States
Quincy
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested in pre-ordering this game, as the Mexican-American War has not yet been well simulated or gamed, and CDG are still going strong. But I have big reservations about this map. Yes, I know it is a play-test map, but it, quite frankly, seems built on a 20th-century map without regard for the conditions of Mexico in the 1840s. The many of the "towns" on the map, particularly in the west, simply didn't exist until the 1890s or even the twentieth century. Cuidad Obregon? Mexicali? Something as simple as Ciudad Juarez should be El Paso del Norte (it didn't get renamed until the 1880s).

And being able to cross the Sierra Madre from Culican to Durango? Maybe a couple of men without horses with Yaqui Indian guides could make it, but not likely. Such a crossing certainly was beyond the ability of the armies of the 1840s. I know I shouldn't judge a book by its cover or a game by its mapboard, but the playtest map looks like a 20th-century map with the railroads taken out.

Compare to: http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.gmd/g4410.ct000127

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Welker
United States
Steubenville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Post!!

I've been revising the map on and off, and any input prior to its final incarnation would be appreciated. I've taken a few notes off your post for editing, and I will look at the map from that post. Up until now, my main resource was late 1880s and early 1890s, so I had to assume some sort of continuity with the terrain and roadnet, but having this map does help identify towns better, and what could become something I have been thinking about a lot--movement "points" for crossroads or minor settlements or parish churches, wells, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Heaney
United States
Quincy
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, the new map looks pretty darned good. Looks like both the map and the system underwent a few changes. Looks like I'll be adding my name to the GMT 500 list for this one now! Nice work, Mike.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.