J. David Koch
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Hey...That Tickles....
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks.

Just got Power Grid for the gaming group and we all love it.
Looking forward to playing lots more.
But after the first game, a couple of weeks ago I thought, "who in their right minds came up with this stupid Monopoly money for such a great game?"

I ended up being banker and spent most of my time heads down in that first game messing with that stupid, tiny, sticky, paper money.
And then I thought, "Shoot last week during our game of "Traders of Genoa, same thing.... bah, paper money, I hate it."

Happened to be in the Power Grid forum last week and someone was talking about losing their paper money and what should they do.
(Rejoice, I thought)
The answer that came back was ....poker chips....
Now, this is probably old news to a lot of you out there, but I had never thought of that.....

Well, the scales fell from my eyes.

Last weekend, we broke out Power Grid again and I told my buddy who was lining up to bank, "Nah, that's cool...I'll be the banker" and I jumped in. Well, sure enough..... What a pleasure!"
Easy to count out, distribute, and make change.
Plus, that distinctive sound of poker chips moving, stacking, and clicking.
Love it!
For those of you worried about hiding your money or VPs in the game, just get a bowl, or put them all in a bag, or if you are really feeling ambitious, make screens for each player.

My advice is get the heavy 11.5 gm chips.
It really was fun to use 'em.
And now there are so many places you can get chips relatively cheaply.
Now I'm thinking of ways to get em in all my games that use money and/or VPs (Puerto Rico anyone?)

And oh yeah, I guess I could use them for ....poker too.

Take my advice.
Get rid of the paper and pull out the chips.
You will be glad you did.

McGuit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
I'll think of something witty to put here...
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I use chips if I'm playing at home- I don't take them out specially. Also it helps to standardise the colour values.
I use white=1, blue=5, red=10, green=50
Different games have differnent colours for money and it can be quite confusing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheevers
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've been using Poker Chips for a while now. You're right about Power Grid, it makes the game more enjoyable. We've also replaced the Caylus coins with them too, so it's not as fiddly.

James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jen Kuipers
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep looking on ebay for a good set of the heavier chips that already have denominations on them that are good for most of the more popular games that need their paper money or chits replaced. I can't seem to find just the perfect set.

Any recommendations?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kinsey
United States
Lancaster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jen-

I have several sets of the 11.5 chips that I use for poker, but I also bought a set of slightly lighter chips @ (I shudder to say it) Walmart - they are marked $1, $5, $10, $25, and $50 - you get three trays of 25 chips in each denomination for less than $14 - well worth the investment (you can also special order chips of any weight, color, and markings on various websites, but it's a lot more expensive...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crocker
United States
Westland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The "Dollar Tree" was selling was selling a 6"x6"x2" embossed tin (called the "Texas Holder") containing a deck of cards and about 100 of the lighter 8.5 oz CLAY chips in red, blue, and black. This was right before Christmas time. I bought 4 of them with the specific purpose of replacing paper money in games. Perhaps they still have some left. Although they are lighter, they still feel substantial and make that pleasing poker chip sound when tossed on the table...as opposed to the tinny sound that plastic poker chips make.
Good deal for a buck.

The chips have no denominations, but that's nothing a Sharpie or a White Out pen can't fix...or better yet, printed labels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sir Cumference
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
Crockerdile wrote:
The "Dollar Tree" was selling was selling a 6"x6"x2" embossed tin (called the "Texas Holder") containing a deck of cards and about 100 of the lighter 8.5 oz CLAY chips in red, blue, and black. This was right before Christmas time. I bought 4 of them with the specific purpose of replacing paper money in games. Perhaps they still have some left. Although they are lighter, they still feel substantial and make that pleasing poker chip sound when tossed on the table...as opposed to the tinny sound that plastic poker chips make.
Good deal for a buck.

Hey, thanks for the tip. I think I saw some of those in the store near me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. David Koch
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Hey...That Tickles....
mbmbmbmbmb
Have not seen the Dollar Tree deal, but that one sounds fantastic.
Looked over at Ebay but for the heavy weight chips, and there is some good pricing there, but it seems the postage can really kill you in getting your new chips.

When I starting shopping around town for chips, here are some of the prices that I saw:

Don't know how many of you are near a Kohl's department store but they have an outrageous deal going on now.

(80) 11.5 gm chips - 5 different colors - $4.99
So 400 chips for around $26.00 all in.
Best deal for the heavy chips I found.

WalMart

(50) 11.5 gm chips - 1 color - $5.49
(100) 7 gm chips - 4 colors $6.99
(350) 11.5 gm chips - 4 colors - + metal carrying case $34.99

L.S. Aryes (going out of buisiness here)

200 7gm chips - 4 colors - $9.99
200 11.5 gm chips - 5 colors - $15.99

Costco

100 11.5 chips - 4 colors - +deck of playing cards - $9.99

I'm sure there are better deals out there. This is just a sampling of some of the places that I looked. As you look around, I'm sure your mileage will vary in terms of deals. But the bottom line for me was for about the cost of one new game, it's possible get some high quality poker chips you can use in all your games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Birzer
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A little late for this, but in the B&N 50% off sale, the deal also included poker chips. I think it ended up being about $1.99 for 50 11.5g chips. I ended up getting one of each color.

Jason

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean T
United States
Tucson
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up a 300 chip, 11.5g set during the B&N blow-out for less than $10. We've been using them in various games. Rather than marking up your chips with denominations which may or may not transfer from game to game simply put out a chip on top of a single denomination bill from the game (or on top of chip for games with cardboard/plastic money tokens) to show what each color is worth. Alternately with a little time, you could create color coded cheat-sheets for each game to store in the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. David Koch
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Hey...That Tickles....
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea Sean!

Did not like the idea of permanently marking up the chips since folks will probably want to use them for lots of games.
Putting one chip on each denomination of bill or placing a VP marker on top of each chip insures that there is no confusion about what a chip is worth.

To quote Charles Montgomery Burns,.... Excellllllent......

McGuit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harvey Wasserman
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Search under "crafts counting chips" for an alternative to poker chips. For example: http://www.getsmartcatalog.com/product_info.php?products_id=...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pennisi
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought a bunch cheap at B&N as well. My plan is to spray paint them in silver, gold, and copper with metallic paint. I'm going to test on a few before I do the lot but I hope it works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fix
United States
Sterling Hts
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For anyone that is willing to wait... I recall that at Oorigins last year, they had about 2-4 dealers that were running great deals on poker ships (like 400 chips with cards in aluminum case for $20-25). I kicked myself when I got home that I did not get one. Hopefully, they will have something like that again this year, if you happen to be going to origins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Fisk
United States
Spanish Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mergryphon wrote:
I keep looking on ebay for a good set of the heavier chips that already have denominations on them that are good for most of the more popular games that need their paper money or chits replaced. I can't seem to find just the perfect set.

Any recommendations?

Here is where I bought mine:

http://www.simplypokerchips.com/pokerchips-4aces.html

Now granted I invested a bit more, but I bought denominations all the way from a buck to 10k so I can cover lots of different game requirements. I purchased a total of 500 chips.

And yes, I think that it was money WELL spent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael B
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's funny, it was Power Grid that recently opened my eyes to using poker chips instead of paper money too! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael @mgouker
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rlfix wrote:
For anyone that is willing to wait... I recall that at Oorigins last year, they had about 2-4 dealers that were running great deals on poker ships (like 400 chips with cards in aluminum case for $20-25). I kicked myself when I got home that I did not get one. Hopefully, they will have something like that again this year, if you happen to be going to origins.

What kind of chips? Clay, clay composite, or plastic? Do you know the weight?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A.
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's funny that this is now being posted. I literally JUST downloaded from this site the Formula De dashboard that uses poker chips. I was fortunate to be given a suitcase of poker chips late last year that I wondered how I would use (I'm not a poker or card player). Now, they'll be Formula De chips.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Campbell
United States
Excelsior
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My problem with poker chips:

There's always at least one character at the gaming table who sits there and absent-mindedly clacks the chips to together while others are taking their turns.

Click, click, click click

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! angry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. David Koch
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Hey...That Tickles....
mbmbmbmbmb
They are just trying to rattle you bud.
Click back at them.

McGuit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eric hanuise
Belgium
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
There's more than just representing money to the poker chips...

I just bought a set of 100 clay 11.5g chips and have toyed around with'em for a bit.
Now think about clout fantasy... nah, no good, pogs sucks.
[edit : OK clout fantasy is more subtle than pogs, but really, slamming pogs to flip'em over or launching clout fantasy chips to place them is very similar to me. And I don't like either - that's a personal opinion .]
hey what about carabande/pitchcar, carrom, ... ?

yep, poker chips pitch well and glide far on a smooth table. And they bounce interestingly one against each other as well. Surely there's some fun to be had there, the parts are here only the rules are missing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.