JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
In recent weeks I’ve seen an increase in posts from people who are requesting donations of geek gold for an avatar. “I only need 4 more” some say. Others are more bold, “I need 75 geek gold for an avatar, badge and Uberbadge.”

Now, I’m not outraged by these requests, as some people are. I am amused by what I see as an interesting arc to these requests. At first, they are simply ignored. Then someone will come along, get indignant, and post that it’s wrong to even request such a thing. This will cause someone else to feel sorry for the first fellow and donate some geek gold just to show Mr. Indignant that they can’t boss anyone around! Then other people will join in on one side or the other and it becomes the messy forum that I just love to read with quick witted barbs shot at each side. Who doesn’t love a little controversy?

As I read these posts, they brought me back to the days when I only dreamed of having an avatar, let alone a geek badge. I thought that I might share my personal journey to my avatar and others are welcome to share their stories as well.

I was very confused when I first came to BGG. But, shortly after registering, I realized that it was a database of board games. I decided to submit a game that I had purchased for my children, Rainbowland. I bought this game because it was cooperative and it looked pretty. Unfortunately, it wasn’t that great of a game. I decided to submit it and write a little review of it in case other parents were considering this game. Well, in return, I received a message in my inbox saying that I had geek gold.

“What the heck is geek gold? ooo, maybe I can buy a game with it!”

I went skipping about the site to look for ways to spend my shiny new geek gold. What a disappointment. I discovered that I could use it to ask people to translate game rules for me.

“Good Gravy,” I thought, “who in their right mind would buy a game that was in a different language?”

Then, I saw that you could buy an avatar.

“What the heck is an avatar?”

I discovered that an avatar was the little picture that some people had under their names. Whoop-tee-doo. How lame. So, in other words, geek gold is worthless. I mean, who in the heck would give a rat’s ass whether or not they had a stupid little picture under their name?

In two short months, I did.

Getting an avatar was all I wanted. Sure, I wanted some of these games that I read about. Sure, I needed a translation of a game I bought that was in German. Sure, I wanted a copy of some rules of a game I bought secondhand. But, more than anything, I wanted an avatar. I wanted, specifically, a ‘Go, Dog! Go!’ avatar. I hoarded my 4 measly geek gold and tried to find ways of adding to them.

I had created a small expansion to the game, The Big Idea. So, with some trepidation, I added these files to BGG and by golly, there was some more geek gold in my inbox. What a sense of accomplishment, I was so happy! But, gosh, 30 geek gold seemed so far away. It seemed unattainable.

I looked at Session Reports. At that time, I had only read a few and they bored me to tears.

“Gary, Dave and I sat down to play. We rolled the die to see who would go first. Gary rolled a four, Dave rolled a two, I rolled…” zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

It was so hard to bring myself to write one of these boring, recounts of a game. But, I tried. I wrote one for Doktor Igel and there was my next gleaming new geek gold.

Writing reviews was something that I was more interested in, however, I felt completely unqualified. How presumptuous of me to tell anyone on the ‘geek about a game! I was a complete newbie when it came to gaming. I chastised myself for my lame review of Rainbowland.

But, my desire for an avatar won out over my insecurities. I decided to write reviews for games that probably no one on here would play. I forged ahead and finally got my avatar almost two years after coming to the ‘geek.

I love my avatar. It makes me happy and I have to say that I think I like it all the more because it took me so darn long to get it.

Shortly after getting my avatar, I earned enough to get my badge and then I went on to get enough to buy an Uberbadge. However, I changed my mind about the Uberbadge. I decided I needed to keep some geek gold for tips. I try to tip whenever I can, but I do have to be a little stingy, I don’t have THAT much gold.

There’s my story. Yeah, it’s a long one, because it took me so long to get my avatar.

How did you get yours?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
I wrote reviews of games nobody had submitted reviews for (after playing the games, I figured out why nobody plays them laugh )

I also uploaded some unique photos, and wrote some nice session reports.

Alas, I also relied on the kindness of strangers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I bought it with dollars, contributing nothing to the database, but something to the Red Cross.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
Mine came mostly through pictures. I saw that a lot of the games I had lacked close-up pictures of the covers (i.e., SCANS), and spent an afternoon uploading those suckers. I also went on a mad dash there as I reached the end of my necessary GG to get an avatar and/or badge and/or uber-badge and uploaded some crap. Luckily, an admin helped me sort out some of that crap, and I donated the gold I had earned through that to a worthy Geek.

Now, I get it here and there. There's not much else I need the gold for, so I'm happy to get it piecemeal, and dole out some through tips here and there (though the tip system seems not to be working at the moment).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
Isaac, I think the tip system is working again. Try sending a GG to me - you know, just to test it. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
My initial burst of GG came from the old 'Find Gold' system where someone offered a bit of gold for specific information from a game. In my case, the user wanted the rules for Rubik's Game, which just happened to be in my parents' game closet at home. But beyond that, I've made the overwhelming bulk of my GG by submitting pictures, new games, session reports, and a review. I've even garnered a few tips for content along the way.

I'm with the group, I think begging for GG is beyond the pale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Hinkle
United States
Twinsburg
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got a chunk of the way thanks to DWTripp's contest, where I truthfully admitted to being dead. I've written two session reports, but the rest came from the wonderful folks in the Werewolf forum, via tips and gifts for the games I ran, with a couple more thrown in so I could be easily findable.

I got the GeekBadge because I sold St. Petersburg via a GG auction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the one and only
Germany
Nettetal - Kaldenkirchen
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The GG for my avatar was given to me by my close friend Dr. Fu. In return I help him out with translations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
The biggest chunks have come from:

A) Donating to the Hurricane Relief Fund, and
B) Posting a photograph of Derk wearing a frilly pink dress.

The rest has come from uploading game aids and variant files, a session report for a solitaire game, a few photos, and tips here and there. Not to mention the wholly satisfying method of accumulating GC (geek copper) through image moderation.

EDIT: You would think that a red state idjit from Florida could spell hurricane correctly, eh?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
Jatoha, I LOVE your avatar...it's probably my favorite one here.

I got my gold through a few pictures (mostly of Survive!, natch), one review, and a few submissions of children's games (I also wanted to warn parents about a couple stinkers I got at a garage sale). Plus, I've won a small amount in user contests. Lastly, I've been around long enough to get a bunch of gold in the community gifts Derk and Aldie give out every once and a while. All that and I've still don't have enough for a uberbadge, which I don't care so much about. However, I really DO like the user contests and someday I'd like to earn enough gold to make a decent prize for a contest of my own creation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Fisk
United States
Spanish Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let see...

My Avatar was obtained by session reports, pictures, etc.

My Geekbadge was obtained through a gg gift from a friend.

My Uberbadge was obtained through giving to the red-cross.

All in all I contributed to the site, but also to disaster victims. A good blend IMHO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
I did not figure out what was for a long time and when I did I couldn't have cared less. I wrote some session reports because I had something interesting to say about the game and the was incidental, but I did gradually accumulate some.

Then came online werewolf. An avatar became a necessity as a way to be quickly recognized in the flood of posts during a game. I began writing more session reports in earnest and submitting a few pics. Donations from fellow werewolfers put me over the top for an Avatar. Notably 3 from both xandryyte and bookandgame.

Donations from games I ran and from geeklists started me towards a geekbadge. I also bought some during the hurricane donation period. A 15 donation from bilboatbagend in response to a geeklist put me over the top for that. I don't feel a need for an ubergeekbadge so I'm not aggressively pursing right now. It's nice to have some on hand for tips and such.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eastside, Esq.
United States
Richmond Hts.
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got my avatar through a few methods. They were as follows:

1. A handful of Reviews
2. Several session reports
3. Joe Gola's Feat of Daring contest.

I also hate the begging for GG. Come one, it's there for the taking, just work a bit for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mb
What about those that don't care if they get an avatar? I have collected enough to get one, but have given most of it away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Donohue
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
Kneel puny Doomtrooper before the might of the Ezoghoul!
mbmbmbmbmb
I got mine as a random gift.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/446223#446223

I was just asking whether it was ok to offer games for geekgold (this in the days back before Geekbay, or at least my knowledge of such things).

Next thing I knew, someone had given me enough GG to buy an avatar.

It was pretty damn cool. I've since helped a few others on their path to Avatar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a great story of how you got your avatar Jatoha, thanks for sharing it. I've also noticed a lot of people begging for GG these days, which I find odd. It took me about 7 months to get mine, although I was held up by finding someone offering a copy of TtR: Mystery Train for GG, which I wanted to have. Anyway, I got mine through a mix of methods, but primarily by submitting photos. I also wrote two reviews and one session report. I also remember being excited when I won a few GG through a Family Feud style contest that was really fun. Plus there was the nice 10 GG Christmas bonus, and one for my post in the infamous Caylus thread. All in all it was a nice challenge trying to earn enough to get an avatar and badge, one that I appreciate looking back, and as others have said, it definitely makes the avatar more special having worked for it. I'm tempted to give GG to people who beg for it, but I honestly don't want to deprive them of the journey of earning it, which is what really makes you so attached to this site, checking it constantly, and overloading the server like we all love to do every day. Thanks again for a great story Jatoha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Riedy
United States
Glen Ridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll jump on this bandwagon. I (obviously) don't have an avatar yet, but think it's bad form to go begging for gold. Get out there and start panning! I got lucky and got a (very bad) game for Christmas that wasn't in the system, and so milked that with a review and some pictures. Now I figure I'll just add session reports here and there until I'm full up. (I can't bring myself to review something that has a bunch of reviews already -- as all the games I've played/own. What's the point? Same thing with pictures.) It'll probably take a few months. Which is just as well since I still have no idea what I'm going to use as an avatar anyway.

Like Tom said: enjoy the process. Get to know the geek and the Geeks, and let them get to know you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've enjoyed reading all the stories of everyone else. My path was similar to Jatoha's.

I came to the Geek in Dec of 04. I didn't know anything about Euro's at that time. But I did look up the game I was most familiar with. Risk. I noticed that even though it had a ton of reviews, it didn't have any for playing Mission Risk. So I decided to write one. I was pleasently suprised when I got this thing called Geek Gold. I had seen mention of it, but didn't know until then how to get it. I quickly found out how to get it so then I uploaded some pictures of games that I had that didn't already have useful pictures. I also added a review or two of some of the less reviewed games I had played. I got two small gifts from users. One for helping with something, and the other for a contest. (This was before the tiping system.) Then I found my pay dirt. The item that should get me up to 29 gg. A game from my childhood that wasn't in the database and was still in my parents basement. I added it to the database. I couldn't wait for it to get processesed so I could submit some photos and a review. But it was taking FOREVER to get accepted. I know I waited at least 3 weeks (okay... so it felt like forever.) But then in one of the forums I mentioned that I was waiting paitently for my game to be submited, and Skelebone, loaned me the remaining GG I needed for my Avitar. So I was able to get the Avitar a a month earlier than I could have on my own. Finaly the game was accepted and I was just 1 gg shy of being able to pay Skelebone back. So I wrote a session report. That was in March of 05. All that work definitly made my Avitar precious to me... which is why I too think it is ashame for people to beg. Although I might give them 1 just to get them started and to faciliate community.

After that I slowed down my quest. It was hard enough getting that first 30, I never expected to get enough for a badge, let alone an Uberbadge.

I got a few here an there for games I moderated in the Werewolf forum. But I was also doing quite a bit of tiping my self at that time, so I never got much of an increase in

I finally got my Geek Badge with the Hurricane reliefe effort... Only I goofed. I donated $70 so my husband could get an avitar, and I could get my geek badge... oops... 30+50=80 not 70. So I was just a little short. But then I complimented a fellow werewolf player (Bwt2q) on his new badge (that he had purchased by the Reliefe Fund) and told him my silly mistake... and he generously gave me the missing 10 I needed.

So now I had my badge. Whoho... Never gonna get an Uberbadge... no problem.

Well, then at the end of the year. I decided I should donate to the geek and get my supporter badge. I do spend enought time on here playing werewolf afterall. So I purchased it. Then the next day, in one of the games I'm playing Noaceyet offers to give enough to up them to the next purchase for anywone that is willing to donate to the Geek. So I jokingly say. "Darn, I should have waited a day." (or something along those lines.) Well, he was nice enough and gave me the to get my uberbadge, since I had donated to the Geek.

So, that is my story. Worked hard, Recieved a Loan, Gave Money to Hurricane Reliefe, and was rewarded for Donating to the Geek.

It is great to have friends. I couldn't have gotten all my goodies without them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ima Meeple
Denmark
Unspecified
flag msg tools
.... uhm this might be a bad time ask, but could someone please send some geekgold my way, I'm only 4gg away from an avatar ...

awwww crap, I'm not even regular enough to make those kinda jokes yet, right ??
and now I'm up for warning for A: saying cdrap and B: going completely off topic, altho' I think I can save myself from the latter

I am actually only 4gg away from my avatar, but I really don't wanna get there via begging. I wanna get there the way Aldie intended, by contributing to the site. If everyone was a beggar, we wouldn't get any new stuff to browse thru'.
So far I've managed to add a 4 year old game that wasn't in the database, and some pics for SWTCG, looked over a few pics and made my mark there as well, and you know what, getting 30gg for an avatar is actually a fun game in itself (I wonder if I could put that in the database ) ... and a nice li'l bonus is that I learn more and more about BGG and it's features every day.

Anyways, it's been fun reading up on how you old farts all got started here and eventually earned your avatars and such

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great story of your journey to get an avatar and badge Tish, thanks for sharing!

meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoy reading everyone's stories. Thanks to all! Let's hear more, and Nico, your post made me smile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ima Meeple
Denmark
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Jatoha wrote:
I really enjoy reading everyone's stories. Thanks to all! Let's hear more, and Nico, your post made me smile.

WHUUAA no laugh, I really got revise my material

Thanks, it's always nice to get a compliment, especially when you're newbie, trying to learn the ropes in a new place

BTW haven't recieved my warning/ban yet, so I must deduct that A: either Aldie is lazy (not likely) or B: it's actually allowed to say crap on BGG (which I will of coz abuse no end in the future )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
My story is quite similar to Jatoha's.

Came to the geek, didn't get GG (in any way), then suddenly, the avatar virus attacked me and I wanted to be recognised as one of the Old School, one of the Contributors, one of the Stuff-Adders.

So I started to look for games that weren't in de dB. Which was kinda hard, since most games I own are Dutch and most titles here are English. But I really looked: tried game mechanics, producers, theme, and when I didn't find the game, I added it. Day after I included pics, review etc, so something like 5-10GG/game. Too bad most were already in the dB, under TOTALLY different names/producers etc. Thanks Aldie, for removing the doubles but not taking away my hard earned GG
I submitted some sessions reports, reviews etc. and eventually, I got my avatar!

Now, my GeekBadge is another story. It was far far away. Man, what was I supposed to do?! So, I started working. And then, not long ago, Lemur posted a question. Had some trouble with Excel and macro's. Well,.. me and Excel,... huhhuh. Anyway, he said he tipped, I said I was saving for my badge. Spent some time helping him. And he tipped me for it. Generously Far more than I expected, in fact, enough to buy my badge - which was a really nice surprise. Compared how much time I spent helping him (pretty some) compared to how much time I spent collecting gold (LOTS) I feel I owe him an answer now every time he'll ask something! laugh

Cheers Lemur!
Anyone else needs an answer to a MS-Office Q? I still need that UberBadge...cool

PS: begging lame? I think there are some pretty funny beggars. If someone only needs a few GG - why not, if he makes you laugh. I think big-tipping beggars is lame.
"Hey I never did smething, gimme 30!"
"You're an a**, work for it"
"You're an a**, calling him an a**. So you, 1st a**, here 30 for you." ...now, that's lame

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Adams
United States
Brigham City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got mine through an unsolicited loan.

I had written a review for a game that had none, a few session reports for games I thought were memorable, submitted a few images (admittedly, not as nice as I would have liked), and received a couple of tips from ValJor for his Excellence in Session Report Writing Awards from the most wonderful Geeklist ever.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listi...

Then suddenly I had another 16 GG with a note saying it was a loan to help me get an avatar sooner. I hadn't asked or said anything about it. I just figured eventually I would get to 30 GG and could get one sometime down the road. So, I got one early and then paid him back after earning another 16 GG a little over a month later.

Inspired by ValJor's benevolent use of GeekGold, even before the tip jars were implemented, I felt that GeekGold was a nice way to reward others for things you appreciated or enjoyed. I decided to use it mostly for tipping others after I had my avatar paid off. So, I always try to keep a little on hand for tipping, mostly to those who don't have an avatar yet but write something witty or useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ima Meeple
Denmark
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Well I just might be gettin' that avatar sooner than expected ... I really dunno if I should cheer or not, since that effectively ends my hunt-for-avatar-game .... then again there's always that badge-thingy.
Heh, I feel like a regular ... erh .... virtual Indiana Jones hunting treasure. Of coz it doesn't hurt that I have he's rugged good looks too arrrh

Ahem ... anyways, here I am rambling again, what I really wanted to say is that I actually found 2 games not in the database, so they've been put up for adoption (or whatever Aldie calls it ), and if they get accepted, then I should get my wrinkly old fingers on all that preciouss gold .... and if not, then I got some nice pictures (unfortunately not any of the incriminating kind I could use for extortion .... bah ... shake )

And finally, thanks to the nice people donating gg to me. I've made sure to put it to good use, and since I can't get any beer here, I've tipped someone who deserved it. I have of coz kept some for myself .... I'm not stupid ... well maybe a little, since I made a calculation error, I'm actually only 4 gg away from the avatar now, so please replace any previous 4gg statements with a nice 6.
Thank you for your time

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.