Brawl» Forums » Variants

Subject: Brawl with Fight! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ville Pirttimäki
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those of you who didn't know, the good French have made a new addition to the Brawl family under the name Fight!
Sure, there are a few changes, but some, myself included, don't see them so big that the thing would qualify as its own game.

However, even tough the first time I heard of these cards, I heard of them as reprints of the original 6 packs of Brawl, there are changes. These changes are enought to cause some problems if these packs are intended to use with the usual Brawl decks.
First of, let me point out all the differences I've noted:
1. The deck size is 44 cards, not the usual 35. This is a MAJOR change gameplay wise and I shall return to it later on.
2. The card size is a bit smaller. This comes in handy when playing with Brawl decks because at the end, you can gather all the cards in one pack, square it up, grab the larger Brawl cards and let the smaller Fight cards just slide off as you lift the deck up.
3. There is no Press cards, but Replays. More of these later on.
4. The material is a bit smoother than those of the Brawl decks. Take this as a warning, because these card can easily slide out of their places, especialy on slipery surfaces.
5. The texts on the packs are in French. Big surprise ^_^

And now, to playing with Fight decks agains Brawl decks.

First of, the 44 cards are simply too much. I personaly feel that they give the faster player too big of an advantage. I tried this with a friend of mine and easily played all the 44 cards before my friend could play the 35 of his, thanks to the straight forewardness of all the decks. You can pretty much guess how those games ended.
If my friend had played with the Fight decks, I think I would have ended the game before he would have gotten halfway through his deck. This is only a guess, how ever.

So, I would sugges that when played against Brawl decks, 9 cards would be removed from the Fight decks. I think it would be the most fair for them to be the same ones when talking about single decks. This would create 7 new, hopefuly unique decks to be played against.

Now, I just receved my decks a while ago and haven't had much time to try them out. I did make suggestions of what cards to remove and would like to share them with you lot. Please bare in mind that these haven't been throughly tested for ballance yet.

Amber: Remove 3 Clears, a Base, a Green Hit and Hit-2 and a Blue Hit-2 and 2 Hits.
The deck would weak red, weakish blue and strong green with low number of clears.
This deck seemed hard hitting, but pretty ballanced. It is also the only one I tested a few times.

Duke: Remove a Clear, a Replay, 3 Bases, 2 Red Hits and 2 Red Blocks.
This deck would have strong blue and othewise be pretty weak, but have a few clears.
Tested a couple of games. The deck seemed, not awsome but OK.

The rest are not tested, just planned.

Jack: Remove 2 Hits and a Block is every colour.
I tought I'd make a Replay machine with strong red and a surprise in blue.

Kali: Remove 2 Bases, 3 Clears, a Blue and a Green hit and 2 Red Hits.
This one I planned to be a strong blocker, especialy in blue, with moderate amouth of clears.

Natasha: Remove 2 Clears, 3 Red Hits, 2 Blue Hits and a Block and a Green Hit.
Natasha's overpowering red needed significant toning down, not forgetting other colours. Still should be a hard hitter, tough.

Siu Tin: Remove a Base, a Clear, 2 Red Hits and 2 Blocks, a Green Hit and a Block and a Blue Block.
Should create a relatevily good-all-around deck with blue stronger than other colours.
Seemed pretty ballanced at least against Darwin. I take it as a good sign.

Tiger: Remove a Base, 2 Clears, 2 Green Hits and a Hit-2, a Blue Hit, a Red Hit-2 and a Block.
Another hard hitter needing to be toned down. I left blue with relatively little hits but 2 hit-2s. UNBALANCED!!

Also, to tone these usualy pretty hard hitting decks down a little more, I suggest that you don't play Replays as Presses, but just cards that will nil the effect of Block cards.

Ofcourse, there are just suggestions I made up with little planning. Most compositions of the original decks can be made from the Fight decks by removing cards. I'm just gonna say what you get from a certain deck. Should make a small and simple enought list:
Amber -> Pearl
Duke -> Bennet
Jack -> Darwin
Kali -> Morgan
Amber -> Pearl
No Fight deck has the cards to make up Chris

And finaly, to end all this ranting, I would like to thank you for reading this far.
Now, I'm not claiming to be a game ballancing guru, a ruler of any kind nor a man, whose words would bare any authority. The things that are not solid facts are simply my personal opinnions and suggestions.
I made up these new compositions I couldn't find anything similar already in here. If you have suggestions, corrections, links to similar topics/sites/stuff-like-that or personal experiences, please share them with me. I would certaily appriciate them all.
Thankyou again and good play

Edit 18. December 2006: Found out that the Tiger variant is way unbalanced. With only 2 clears and no relplays he's extremely weak against ANY deck with a few blocks. Have to think of something else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
HO HO HO! Give me some money!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the interesting article. Note that there are, in fact, European versions of the orginal Brawl decks. These were released in Germany by Turant. I don't know if this release reached outside of Germany or not. However, the French Fight! decks are certainly new and exciting. I think you are probably right in attempting to trim down the Fight! decks to match the card count of Brawl.

You never got back to explaining what Replay cards did. Do they just start the whole column over again?

Thanks again for the info. I think I'll have to keep a lookout for this, as Brawl is one of my favorites. Even if I have to tweak the decks, more fighters means more fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ville Pirttimäki
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GaryP wrote:
You never got back to explaining what Replay cards did. Do they just start the whole column over again?

Ah. My bad. Checked with Babel Fish and aparently they work exactly like Press regarding Blocks. I did asume this much. Just didn't elaborate it clearly enought in the post. Kinda left explaining the whoel thing about Fight! to the very, very basics there laugh

Anyways, as I suggested, the Replay cards might be good to be used EXACLY as stated in the rules:
Babel Fish wrote:
this chart acts like a anti-Block. One can play Replay on a Block of any color, then to play of other Hits on this Replay. Hits that you play on Replay must be same color as Hits below this one.

This would mean no playing on base modifiers that you could do with Press cards.

And, as one more treat, all the rules of Fight!
In French.
http://www.eclipse-editions.com/infos/IMG/FIGHT_regles.pdf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
HO HO HO! Give me some money!
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh. Thanks much. I actually finished reading the French rules and came back on to post that link to the rules and explain Replay. As you said, it does not mention negating Base Modifiers, but this set has no base modifiers. I do rather like that the Base cards in this set are oriented horizontally. It makes it easier to differentiate from the lines of hits.

I am rather curious why they would keep all the other card text in English, but change Press to Replay. "Replay" is just odd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam kouzmanoff
United States
champaign
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I read the wiki entry about fight, It implied that maybe you had 44 cards because you had a sideboard?

Quote:
These decks were all 44 cards instead of the original 35 cards, and included new rules, including "customization" options.

I can't read French, is there anything in the rules that talks about editing the decks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.