Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Borges
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because I did not take proper notes last night, I won't be able to write a detailed story version of the writeup. However, after playing the game I now know how I'll be able to write the next in an interesting way.

Players/Starting Locations:
Dracula - Justin (me) - Strasbourg
Lord Godalming - Steve - Athens
Dr. Seward - Ben - Edinburgh
Van Helsing - Angela - Clermont-Ferrand
Mina Jarker - Pete (now Petna) - Vienna

This was the first time any of us had played the game, although Petna (okay, okay, Pete) was sort of familiar with the original. Because it was my game, and I was probably most familiar with the rules, I took Dracula for a spin.

I began my journey down to the Mediterranean coast, but it was right away that I made my first mistake. I had a New Vampire encounter in my hand which I should have played, but instead put down a wolf. This ended up being a silly move, because in the end there were only a couple of encounters that made it to maturity, the first being one of them. So that was a waste of two points. Instead, I played that New Vampire in the third slot, with second New Vampire in the fourth. And wouldn't you know it, just as they were resting on the last and second last spots of my trail the Hunters encountered them and twice beat them! Grr.

My second mistake came when I went to sea at Marseilles, and instead of doing a double sea movement (either to the Tyrrhenian Sea or the Atlantic), I merely moved to Alicante. This was an even bigger mistake because very shortly one of the Hunters discovered one of my trail spots, and they quickly deduced that I had either landed in Barcelona or Alicante, which narrowed my current location to somewhere in the Iberian Peninsula.

With the Hunters closing in I had to make a break for the sea again, and here came another mistake on my part. I forgot what horrors the Stormy Seas card could wreak upon me, and I went to Santander to flee to the Bay of Biscay, instead of heading to Lisbon and sailing the Atlantic. Well, while on the Bay of Biscay, Ben played the Stormy Seas card and I was forced ashore at Bordeaux, with Hunters closing in fast.

Now would have been a perfect time NOT to make another mistake, but of course I did I got into a fight with Angela (Van Helsing) and instead of just trying to flee (as it was daytime) I attempted to stay and Claw my way into her heart. Well, her Crucifix really did a number on my, and I lost 6 health in that battle, when it was possible to only lose 3. Add this to the 2 I spent on sea movements, and I was down to 7 Blood! Making matters worse, the other Hunters were RIGHT there ready to move in, and both Ben and Pete played Long Day cards, which made the day VERY long for Dracula.

The elongated day took its toll on me. If not for those two cards it would have been night time when I next encountered the Hunters. However, things could have gone THAT much better, possibly, if I had not made my final, fatal mistake of the game. I was stuck in Toulouse, with the Hunters almost entirely surrounding me (everywhere but Barcelona). What I SHOULD have done was played my HIDE power, stayed in Toulouse, gotten the extra encounter and waited. The first Hunter (Steve) would have had to choose to either stay in Marseilles, go to Toulouse or go to Clermont-Ferrand. Any of those choices by Toulouse would have been great for me. The next Hunters would have had similar choices, all of which could have helped me a lot.
BUT, I did make that last mistake, which was to head into Clermont-Ferrand and meet Mina (Pete) head on. The battles there did not go well at all. ***I just realised that the Hunters made a mistake that none of us caught! Ben and Pete (Dr. Seward and Mina) formed a group to fight me in Clermont-Ferrand, but they did NOT start the turn there together! Dang...***
So, as you can tell, I died in Clermont-Ferrand. It was an honourable death, and I put up as good a fight as I could at Dusk (which SHOULD have been Midnight, if not for those pesky Long Day cards). It turns out that the game should have ended a bit differently, because the final death blow that came from Ben (literally, a Killed outcome), should not have actually happened.

However, I don't mind that the game ended like that, because it was getting sort of late and Angela had to take baby Jacob to bed.
It was a great learning game for everyone, and I think we all enjoyed it enough to want to play again ASAP (in fact, Pete and I will be getting together with some others to play the game on Sunday!).

I left out a lot of stuff, of course. Such as a prolongued fight between Angela and an Assassin with my Relentless Minion card. As well, there were traps and garlic thrown around. Some tense moments when Mina came up against the New Vampire card and could have died right there and then, which would have meant two Vampire Points for me.
I think the group deduction that occurred once I was discovered was great. Of course for Dracula's sake it would have been nice if the Hunters could not communicate with each other, but that would just be silly I think the components are fantastic, as well. I love the hidden movement for Dracula, and the fact that Event cards are drawn from the bottom, which provides great tension (and cheers and jeers when a Dracula Event is drawn).

Overall, I think this is a top notch game after one play, and I really look forward to more. I'm glad I bought it.

Justin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Little
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Karate Chop!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great session report... enjoyable to read, and makes me want to try the game out. I've got the original, which I love to death, and am a bit reluctant to invest in the new FFG version.

Did anyone else express interest in trying out Dracula? Think it'll see the table frequently or just as a fad?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete L.
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha. Petna indeed. Don't mess with Mina, man. Your vaunted minion learned that when I opened a can (shaped like a knife) o' whoop-ass and sent him packing. Overall, it was an excellent experience and I certainly won't be waiting eighteen years again to try it once more...well, this Sunday in fact.

It'll be interesting to see one day how an experienced Dracula player can outsmart the hunters, establish new vampires throughout Europe and then somehow sneak back to Castle Dracula to restore his strength before setting out again. Yes, I'm looking forward to this very much.

Pete

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Borges
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Jason, very kind. My next one will be as atmospheric and story-like as I can make it.
There has been some interest in the game from others who didn't play yesterday, which may or may not only be because it is a new game, and one from FFG at that. From the players yesterday, it looks like everyone enjoyed the game either a lot, or enough to want to take it for another spin. I can see myself playing this quite a few times, for sure. With each Hunter having different abilities, and the possibilities of setup numerous for both Hunters and Dracula, I forsee a pretty different game each time. There is both enough random and strategic elements to make it a great game in my books.

Pete, I wouldn't mind playing Dracula a few more times to see how well I can do. I've already learned (or at least I hope I've learned) a lot from our first play. It can only get better with experience, too. I'm looking forward to Sunday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great session report! I'm going to be getting this soon and I can hardly wait. The early reports and sessions have looked good, the components the usual FFG good stuff, the theme a homerun....

Thanks for the report, looking forward to your next one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zom Bee
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ynnen wrote:
Did anyone else express interest in trying out Dracula? Think it'll see the table frequently or just as a fad?

I thoroughly enjoyed this one as well. I don't think it is a fad game, since the original has stood the test of time and has help build the anticipation for this new version.

This is a much more solid cooperative adventure game than Arkham Horror (in my opinion - and I am more of a Lovecraft fan). Having a player playing Dracula really makes him hard to catch. I could see how an experienced Dracula would be a challenge.

It is also way easier to teach. Although the rulebook seemed daunting at first glance, the gameplay mechanic flows easily and it was failry simple for the new players to grasp everything and get going with only some minor rulebook referencing during the gameplay to answer specific questions. I am eager to try it a few more times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Borges
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xombe wrote:
I could see how an experienced Dracula would be a challenge.

What are you saying? I wasn't a challenge?
I'm definitely looking forward to this game again as well. I'll definitely give the role of Dracula to whoever wants it, but it was a fun position and I know I'll do better next game.

Thank you kindly, Ken.
This is definitely a great game to pick up. It's not cheap, but it's not expensive for what you get at all. If you can rally up the players, it'll be worth it. Plus, we had a nice mix of players at the table, with varying experiences, and everyone enjoyed it. That, I think, is one thing that makes this game shine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.