Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Coon
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all. I was recently given a used copy of this game. The contents are intact except for the ships that came with the base set. (Imperial and Pirate, I believe). I have the mast sprues and most of the sails (minus 3 cut-out Imperial), but not the plastic ships.

Does anyone know where (besides eBay) I might find just the ships from the base game, as well as any additional ships?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Woodburn
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
You are in trouble.

This game is quite highly regarded by many. The ships have been oop for years, and have become hot commocities. As far as the actual ships go, ebay really is the best option I can think of. Alternatively, you could use ships from other games. Perhaps some Pirates of the Spanish Main ships, which are about the right size, or maybe you can find some old loose Broadsides pieces for sale.

GL

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your best bet is to find someone else who plays the game, since they will certainly have enough ships to form 2 opposing fleets.

Proxies are possible, but it can be difficult to get the scale right (important for arc of fire etc).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Coon
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm. Well, the problem is I'm interested in obtaining them for collectability's sake (as well as gameplay). Can anyone identify the exact ships that came with the game? And were those ships sold individually? I imagine the pirate ships probably only came with the main game, but I'm hoping them Imperial ships could be obtained from a boxed set...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Jones
United States
Jupiter
FL - Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, the pirate and imperial fleets use the same ships, but with different flags and paint jobs. The real problem is going to be if you acquire the expansions that use the ships of non-human races, not to mention the sea monsters. Unless you can find someone who has the ships and has never heard of ebay you will be forced to use other options. I suggest using the ships form Pirates of the Spanish Main for now, and although they are not identical in size, they should be close enough so that the game itself won't have to change much. There are many great pics in the image files of the game and the expansions:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/2516
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/viewitem.php3?gameid=4134
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/viewitem.php3?gameid=4135

However you decide to do it, the game is very entertaining and is, IMO, a solid miniatures system. Played it for years and still have all my ships!

Good luck...
arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Murray
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff,

I recently got back into Man O' War after about 10 years away from it. I misplaced all my boxed sets and mini's during my college years soblue.

To get back into it has taken quite a few $$$. EBay is your friend. There are some great deals to be had and some awful ones. Be particular. Some of the people selling ships and game sets are charging an arm and a leg. My biggest problem is most of the sellers are from Britain and shipping to the US is $$$$$$$. So I have to avoid them usually.

Having said that, I've acquired 5 complete 1000 point fleets (Elf, Dwarf, Orc, Dark Elf, and Skaven. 3 nearly complete (Empire, Chaos, and Bretonnian). If you have the cash to spend its possible. You have a big head start having been given the main game set for free. Those normally sell for $60 to $125 depending on condition or completedness.

Good luck to you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Rauscher
New Zealand
Mount Victoria
Wellington
flag msg tools
Originally this came with 12 Wargalleys (I think). I have this plus it's supplements that I got at close-out at a GW store in Baltimore in '95 or so! I believe the boxed game included 6 Imperial Wargalleys (with forward-facing cannons and oars), and I think the other 6 were Bretonnian Corsairs (with no oars, side-facing cannons).

I believe you used to be able to buy these separately in a squadron of three ships.

Go here for some of the printed materials for the expansions: http://www.minds.nuim.ie/~decdoc/?page_id=2

You can probably order the metal pieces direct from Games Workshop - though they'll cost a fortune. GW has usually been pretty good about perpetually keeping previous miniatures available in limited quantities. I don't know if you'll be able to get the plastics that came with the box, though. They have great customer service, though you pay for it.

No harm in giving them a call to find out, however. Best to try the main U.K. order line, as they're more likely to have such old stuff - I doubt the U.S. plant ever produced them in the states, so wouldn't be likely to have them on hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gallardo
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This could be your lucky day, Jeff!

I bet I can help you out. I know I have unplayed (maybe even shrinkwrapped) MoW stuff from my GW days back in college. I'm pretty sure I have the two basic ship sprues you're looking for, one blue and one red if I remember correctly. I have other misc pewter ships and some of the sea monsters as well.

It will take me some time to dig through a bunch of old storage boxes but I'll let you know what I come up with. I'm sure we can work something out. devil

Hey...what are Geekbuddies for?!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Coon
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, cool Mark! I'll send you an email later on.

Thanks for the help, everyone. I'll keep an eye on eBay to see if I can find what I'm looking for. I'll check around the pictures and see if I can find a photo of the ships that came with the base set. I'd like to find those first since I have all of the other stuff.

And yes - if I can't find it quickly, I may pickup some of the Pirates of the Spanish Main minis just so I can play the game again. It's been a long time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Beyer
United States
Newport News
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi Jeff,
Send me a list of what you're looking for and we can probably cut a deal for most of what you want. I currently can field as my own navy over 2000 points of each fleet. Not including fielding over 600 points of every type of flyer. And an abundance of sea monsters I bought enough extra fleets to help my friends field their own navies and flying forces up to about 2000 points. However they never came through with the cash.

FYI, long ago Games Workshop litteraly broke the molds of the Chaos Dwarves, the Dwraven hot air balloons and the Bretononian Coursirs (can't spell correctly with out getting out the game) and the molds for the masts. So they were only produced to a certain limit which makes them very hard to aqquire. As a result I do not have cousirs or chaos dwarves to spare. But I still have some hot air balloons extra. Other than that I have tons of every thing else. I have a very limited number of masts but I have found that fancy cocktail tooth picks work very well as the mast and thin plastic and metal rods work great as the yard arms.
I will probably offer my still in the box sets on ebay soon to yeild top dollar and my out of the box sets I was going to paint first and create masts before placing them on ebay. However I no longer have the time to spend on that project.

If any one is interested email me - maybe we can work out a deal.

P.S. We are almost done constructing our new oceanscape playing table, and are preparing our fleets (Khorn, Pirates and Norse, vs, Dwarven and Empire)for an epic battle where each of the sides are fielding a 4000 point armada. Thats 8000 points on the table at one time and we think that well equal about 65 figures for each side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Coon
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PM Sent - Thanks John! Hopefully you can help me figure out what I need to get started and the best path to starting the ship collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Coon
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm, this post was meant to go via Geekmail, not the forum. Not sure if this was a BGG glitch or user error. Commented out for now...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Beyer
United States
Newport News
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
First, 12 plastic galleys were included in the original game. They can be used as half Imperial / half pirate, or all Imperial or all pirate. Either way thats only 4 squadrons of galleys.

Okay as I see it you have 1 Black Ark, 3 Doomreavers and 3 (I assume you mean)Death Fortresses. You may filed them as this
1 Black Ark 250 pts (counts as one squadron)
1 Squadron of Doomreavers 150 pts (counts as one squadron)
2 Death Fortresses 200 pts (counts as two independents and you
can have only as many Death Fortresses
as you have squadrons)

total 600 pts

As for the Imperials you could have
4 Squadrons of wargalleys 600 pts

In a typical battle you want two field about 1000pts per side.
A wizard can cost you 50-100 or 150 points. Man O War cards cost 25 pts each. So unless you add extra points or assign them for free that should eat up about 100-200 pts of fleet cost.

So to round out your Dark elf fleet you should look into getting 1 more squadron of Doomreavers (150) pts. THis will allow you to field your left over Death Fortress 100pts). Making a new fleet total of 850 (600pts + 250). Leaving 150 pts for a wizard and/or man o war cards, or another squadron of Doomreavers (150 pts).

I'd go with 2 squadrons of Doomreavers so you always have that option.

As for Imperial you'd look for something like this:

2 Great Ship 300pts
1 Squadron of Wolfships 300pts
2 Squadrons of wargalleys 300pts

This is 900pts of fleet add some man o war cards and or wizard to round out the point cost.

For extra ships on the table run it like this:

1 Great Ship 150pts
1 Squadron of Wolfships 300pts
3 Squadrons of Wargalleys 450pts
plus wizard/man o war cards.

Also the followup expansion (SEA OF BLOOD) introduced flyers, sea monsters and extra Imperial ships. But don't go there until you decide if you want to commit past the basic level (you might one day, I never go to sea with out the extra punch of sea monsters).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Coon
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI, I am still actively trying to acquire some Man O' War ships. If anyone has any, let me know! Mainly I'm looking for (in order of priority)

Imperial Greatship / Wolfships / Hellhammers / Ironfist
Dwarf Flyers
Dark Elf Doomreavers / Flyers
Orc Flyers
Any Chaos
Any Skaven

Shoot me a Geekmail if you're willing to part with any ships. I'd consider cash or trades. I'd prefer unpainted / unassembled, but as long as I can strip them and repaint them, I'm looking for anything! Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.