Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Defense
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a bright 7-year-old who loves games like Return of the Heroes and Memoir '44 ... we both love fantasy/RPG games, and I'm wondering which game would be easier for him to grasp, Descent or Runebound.

I know it's not really apples to apples, but I want to get a game we can play together.

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My 8 year old loves Runebound, and would probably love Descent if I had it. He certainly likes HeroQuest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a thread I had before:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/807250#807250

"Recommend Dungeon Crawl for boys 8 & 10"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Smith
United Kingdom
Stockport
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For two, I'd recommend Runebound. You can nerf the game to make it faster if needed (eg fewer experience to go up levels, full healing costs 1 gold, pick two cards to add to the for sale stack at markets etc etc). None of these change the basic game mechanics, they just speed it all up.

Descent looks cool - not yet played, but probably better with 3/4.

ADS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play Descent with my wife. She takes the entire hero party, currently 4, but she could easily play with just 2 or 3 heroes. It's a blast with just us. We'd love for more to play, but with a 5 month old, it takes us 5-6 hours to finish a quest, and we don't live close enough to our friends to be able to play a 3 or 4 player game over several days.

We also play Runebound, but the replay time between games of Runebound is longer for us than it is with Descent. We'll play Runebound once or twice a month. We'll play Descent 3-4 times a month, maybe more once we get a room that we can leave the game set up in (we have cat issues...they like to run off with the figures).

If your child loves games with fantasy setting, the many figures of Descent might hold their attention more. The tactics required by the heroes are more complex than those in Runebound, and they may need your assistance in setting up the hero party the first few times. Runebound has more of a story element in it, which my make the down-time when they aren't taking their turn more bearable.

In either case, it sounds like they're ready for either. Runebound's a bit less expensive, so that might be the better starter investment. But I'm guessing that you're going to be getting both at some time in the future. Enjoy! arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For yet another FFG fantasy game, you could also get World of Warcraft. It plays very simliarly to Runebound, but in my opinion is generally better, with more interesting options for building your character and much less "fiddliness" in all the cards. On the downside, its longer.

Both Descent and World of Warcraft can easily go 4 hours or so. Runebound is probably closer to 2.

Descent requires one person to play in the "Overlord" role, which can be annoying. If you are playing with just two, I recommend letting the hero player have three characters. Two characters will get pretty badly creamed by many of the scenarios.

I think Descent and World of Warcraft are both pretty good. The price is high, but the massive quantities of really nice components justifies it. Runebound just doesn't grab me - its slow moving, a bit tedious, and many of the cards are overly complicated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I cant get into World of Warcraft

After playing it online for 2 years now Im sick of the world and the game in general. Im gonna go with Runebound so that my 11 year old and I can play

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.