Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I've been moderating images and trying my best to decline all the images when someone submits 100 bloomin' pictures of similar items (a bunch of shots of single miniatures--often painted badly, counter sheet after counter sheet, every single card in a game's play deck on its own freakin' photo, each denomination of game currency--separately, etc, etc).

So, I politely click "Too Similar" and then click Decline.

And the damn picture and most of its siblings show up the next day in the overcrowded database.

So, I start politely clicking "Too Similar" and "Other: duplicate" and "Irrelevent" and they still get accepted by other geeks.

Either I'm the only one who sees a problem or people aren't paying attention to the other images submitted simultaneously by the same person or they're not looking at already uploaded images or they are just gaming the GeekMod system to get their geekpenny.

Can we get another Decline checkbox labeled "You're uploading too damn many of the same inconsequential type of picture" ? Please.

And while we're at it, can we please have a Utilities: GeekMod: History: Browse Moderators to see the ratings of everyone who moderates images? I'd love to see who all is approving so many images.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burke Glover
United States
Unspecified
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
I know what you mean... I watched in horror as about a dozen similar Runebound images were approved one after the other last night.

I get the distinct impression that the admins are perfectly ok with this, and that the system was designed to accept more pictures than it rejects. The guidelines are intentionally vague, and people won't reject something without a very solid reason to do so. Is an image "too similar" even if it contains a different mini than the last? I say yes, but the mob says no. Not much to do about it, other than revamp the guidelines, but I don't think the admins are interested in that. For now, Aldie and the admins are just pleased not to have to do the task themselves, and that eclipses any quality-assurance concerns.

Quote:
And while we're at it, can we please have a Utilities: GeekMod: History: Browse Moderators to see the ratings of everyone who moderates images? I'd love to see who all is approving so many images.

Cool though this might be, it leaves a hole for abusers to come in. The reason this information is unavailable is to prevent people from knowing the secret formula for getting stuff approved. The more specific information people have about votes, the more likely they are to try to game the system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well a few days/weeks ago I submitted a couple of counter sheets, each very carefully selected for a different game and in very good quality though they got declined because the "approvers" thought they were duplicate (which wasn't the case and still isn't!). So with regards to that there are obviously also people around who decline images without a correct justification or without properly checking their own reasoning!
And regarding counter sheets in general, it sometimes might even be nice to see more.

Bottomline I think this balances out, so I don't agree with you.
Even though I don't like these miniature images, I can imagine that fans of that genre might certainly be interested. So I would suggest to be more tolerant.
I would rather say that the last call would have the admins when they start to have storage issues...

A history might help certainly, in either direction.

my 2 cents
krgds
Abraxx

PS By the way, I don't think in this case it is appropriate to call a group with a different opinion "mob"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.