Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Great Wall of China» Forums » Rules

Subject: a few rules questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
...
badge
...
Avatar
I've just received this, and I'm trying to understand the rules. The game description on BGG goes a long way, but I still have a few questions:

1. Your first action is to claim any prestige tokens where you have a majority in a wall. Can you claim for more than one wall per turn, or is it only one?

2. There's an example which shows how one player can win both prestige tokens for a wall (because no one else played cards in that wall). In this situation, do you claim both prestige tokens in one turn or must you claim one, then wait for next turn to claim the other (if you still can).

3. After both prestige tokens are claimed for a wall, the players take the tokens, the wall cards are discarded out of the game and two new prestige tokens revealed. If these tokens are the same, then both these new tokens are discarded out of the game, and two new tokens revealed. Is that correct?

4. At the end of the game, only prestige tokens actually picked up count towards your totals - tokens "claimed" in a wall but not picked up (because no-one has yet claimed the 2nd token for that wall) don't count. Correct?

many thanks for any help.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Steve,

I haven't played yet, only translated thre rules.

Here's my answers - not definitely correct - to your questions:

1. I believe you chack for "any majorities" and therefore claim for more than one. However, it seems to me that your opponents would be pretty terrible to let you have the majority in more than one at the start of your turn!

2. One turn at a time. You check once, claim the first one and place it on a card. Wait ... If you're still on top next time round, claim the second one.

3. Here's the way I read it, and this only applies to the two-player game: If the sum of the two tokens matches the other wall, then the new pair is discarded and a new new pair is put in. I guess this rule is there for teh 2p game, because otherwise each player could just work on a wall of their own, as neither would be better than the other.

4. Correct.


... and here's a return question:


1. For actions 2 & 3, it says you can play one card or many identical cards .... is that how you read it ? In other words, you could play all 7 wall cards in one go, if you really felt like it ?

2. Riders: If you play a Rider, you do it at the start of action 2, and then can play a card of another type in action 2, and a further different card in action 3 ??


N.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
...
badge
...
Avatar
1. I could see one situation where this might be an issue: if other players had claimed walls, and reduced their wall-score by placing the higher prestige tile on their wall cards, you might be in 2nd place in a bunch of walls when it came round to you. Claiming 2nd place in all such walls sounds OK from what you say.

2. OK - sounds plausible, but I could see it interacting with #1 and I wasn't sure.

3. Ahh .. OK. Makes sense.

Your questions ...

1. My understanding is that you can play any number of equal-value cards.

2. My take was that a Rider should be played between the 2nd & 3rd actions, but I wouldn't bet too much on me being right.

Two other things ...

If you didn't spot it, the BGG game description gets one rule wrong: Nobles/Adliger reduce the value of all cards in the wall to 1 rather than by 1.

I know someone else who is working on an English translatin, so I hope to have a better idea soon.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
1. I could see one situation where this might be an issue: if other players had claimed walls, and reduced their wall-score by placing the higher prestige tile on their wall cards, you might be in 2nd place in a bunch of walls when it came round to you. Claiming 2nd place in all such walls sounds OK from what you say.


Good point.

Also ... not having played this yet, I could see a good argument - while translating the rules - for taking the smaller tile, in order to keep you in the hunt for the big one.

---

Quote:
1. My understanding is that you can play any number of equal-value cards


I think it translates as "identical" rather than "equal value" ... therefore , you can't play a wall and a Noble (both value 1)


Quote:
2. My take was that a Rider should be played between the 2nd & 3rd actions, but I wouldn't bet too much on me being right.


I guess the answer here is "any time before the third action", just to stop people going "Oh! ... and this Rider!" a couple of minutes after their turn has ended.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
...
badge
...
Avatar
Moviebuffs wrote:
I could see a good argument - while translating the rules - for taking the smaller tile, in order to keep you in the hunt for the big one


The BGG game description says you have to take the largest value tile, but maybe this isn't actually in the rules?

Moviebuffs wrote:
I think it translates as "identical" rather than "equal value" ... therefore , you can't play a wall and a Noble (both value 1)


Yes, sorry, that's what I meant.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SteveK2 wrote:
Moviebuffs wrote:
I could see a good argument - while translating the rules - for taking the smaller tile, in order to keep you in the hunt for the big one


The BGG game description says you have to take the largest value tile, but maybe this isn't actually in the rules?



I don't have the original in front of me at the moment, just my translation. But ... I've written that the player "takes one of the fame tokens", so I would guess you can choose either ... the lower one wouldn't harm your score as much and might allow you to go for a double-whammy on your next turn.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Polynesia
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Moviebuffs wrote:
SteveK2 wrote:
Moviebuffs wrote:
I could see a good argument - while translating the rules - for taking the smaller tile, in order to keep you in the hunt for the big one


The BGG game description says you have to take the largest value tile, but maybe this isn't actually in the rules?



I don't have the original in front of me at the moment, just my translation. But ... I've written that the player "takes one of the fame tokens", so I would guess you can choose either ... the lower one wouldn't harm your score as much and might allow you to go for a double-whammy on your next turn.



Hi Nick,

Are you willing to post your translation? I've got the game coming and was planning on translating it myself. If somebody else has already done it...

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve+Jackie McKeogh
United Kingdom
Okehampton
Devon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm the 'someone else' referred to 'somewhere above'. I've uploaded my translation yesterday so it should be appearing on the files section in due course.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve+Jackie McKeogh
United Kingdom
Okehampton
Devon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only just read all the posts above. Most of the issues seem to have been resolved. However the rule for discarding tokens in the two player game is wrong. The pair is not compared to the other section of wall; it is that if the two tokens for one section both have the same value (e.g. two 1s, or two 2s, etc.), they are discarded and a replacement pair is drawn.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Condoroussis
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played for the first time and was the one who read the English rules, here is how I understand it:

Quote:
1. Your first action is to claim any prestige tokens where you have a majority in a wall. Can you claim for more than one wall per turn, or is it only one?


Yes, more then one as I understand it

Quote:
2. There's an example which shows how one player can win both prestige tokens for a wall (because no one else played cards in that wall). In this situation, do you claim both prestige tokens in one turn or must you claim one, then wait for next turn to claim the other (if you still can).


No, it has to come back around and you must still be the leader in the row

Quote:
3. After both prestige tokens are claimed for a wall, the players take the tokens, the wall cards are discarded out of the game and two new prestige tokens revealed. If these tokens are the same, then both these new tokens are discarded out of the game, and two new tokens revealed. Is that correct?


This only applies to a two player game, but is correct.

Quote:
4. At the end of the game, only prestige tokens actually picked up count towards your totals - tokens "claimed" in a wall but not picked up (because no-one has yet claimed the 2nd token for that wall) don't count. Correct?


Yes

Quote:
1. For actions 2 & 3, it says you can play one card or many identical cards .... is that how you read it ? In other words, you could play all 7 wall cards in one go, if you really felt like it ?


The rules I read said you can play 1 card or up to 5 identical cards, so never 7, but you can play all 5 KNights (+1 cards) or up to 5 1 point wall cards at a time

Quote:
2. Riders: If you play a Rider, you do it at the start of action 2, and then can play a card of another type in action 2, and a further different card in action 3 ??


Yes, but as I read it you can play a Rider, do action two, play a second Rider, and do action three. If I rememeber correctly, the rules stated that you cna play 2 riders in one turn. So you can have up to 4 plays in one turn. But since you only have 2 riders, you would use them all up in that turn.

Quote:
If you didn't spot it, the BGG game description gets one rule wrong: Nobles/Adliger reduce the value of all cards in the wall to 1 rather than by 1.


As I understand and based on the example given, the Nobles make all cards before or after it in a row count for 1 point, not reducing them by 1.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Siggins
England
Bexhill
SUSSEX
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I just say that there is an official set of English rules, which I was involved with, and there are some very subtle distinctions in them so it is no surprise that these questions are coming up from the German. I will see what I can do about uploading them, but this may have to wait until the American version is out.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Condoroussis
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My answers come from the rules that were sent over from Kosmos, I am guessing they will be the ones in the English version.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Koehr
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The rules I read said you can play 1 card or up to 5 identical cards, so never 7, but you can play all 5 KNights (+1 cards) or up to 5 1 point wall cards at a time


In the german rules there is nowhere a limit to the number of identical cards played. As you are never obliged to play a card at all in your turn (you can draw a card both in the second and third action), so it's (theoretically) possible to play all seven wall cards in one turn, if you got them.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.