Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Just
United States
Yorba LInda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently bought Reef Encounter and played a four player game with some friends and my wife over the weekend. It took about half the game to figure out what was going on and I was look forward to playing again soon with my friends.

Well my eleven year old son saw us playing and last night asked to play too. Are you sure you want to play?, I said. This is not an easy game. Set it up was his reply. He was ready to game.

I explained the rules to him but I emphasized the main action of the game. This is how you lay down the corral polyps. Try to set up coral to have them eat other coral. Grow large coral. Eat the large coral with your parrot fish.

So my wife and I sat down to play with my son. Very quickly he began setting up coral next to each other. Turn the coral strength tile. Eat coral. Repeat. After doing this about five or six times he started using his parrot fish to eat his large coral each turn. Before my wife and I knew what had hit us the game was over. Total game time: 60 minutes.

We counted the tiles in our parrot fish and in front of the screen and my son had destroyed us. Final score Andrew 58, Kathie 27, and Ken 26. Andrew took the scoring paper and placed it on the refrigerator for all to see. He circled his score with exclamation points. Children are so kind.

Would anyone like to buy this game? I'm afraid to play my son again. Just kidding. The game is just plain fun and it is much easier to explain the rules then it is to read them. It took me 15 minutes to teach Andrew and he had them down cold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anye Freer
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just checking that you didn't miss the rule that you can only have two coral on each board? He shouldn't ever have been able to have more than 2 adjacent corals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Just
United States
Yorba LInda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a limit of two of your own shrimp to a board but I don't see any rule limiting coral.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anye Freer
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, that's what I meant... my bad. Just wanted to make sure you saw that rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am missing something in your discussion here. On each coral rock (one board) you can only have one of your shrimp. That is, if all of your four shrimp are in use, they would have to be on different boards (rocks).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sterling, that is incorrect.

You can have one shrimp per coral.
You can have two shrimp per rock (board).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. I must have remembered that rule wrong. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.