Popular Tags: [View All]
Gilad Yarnitzky
Israel
Reut
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a large discussion about free shipping and who gives it from what value, and that there is no free shipping for international buyers. Not giving free shipping internationaly is very sensible and logical because of the huge shipping costs. No store can give international buyers free shipping.
However, you can look at it a bit differently. The free shipping in the states is actually a small discount of ~10$ on the average. So why not give the same discount to international buyers who buy at the same value? I don’t know what the percent is of international buyers from the online stores but I’m sure if one store will start this policy it will have an advantage over other stores.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Shops discount discrimination against international buye
Because shipping internationally can be quite a hassle. It's more work to fill out the customs forms, the items tend to mysteriously disappear more often, and there is a less protection for the sender in terms of insurance and tracking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At first, this sounds good, but (remember I'm internationnal to many stores), there are declarations to fill and time to be spent for those. It may be the reason we're not getting this type of deal.

I'd like to get that type of deal thought!

You may want to try http://www.levalet.com it charges only 5$ (Canadian) for shipping, everywhere, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
I own my own business and do a lot of shipping and Jesse is very much correct. For my business I use priority shipping for domestic customers. The post office supplies me with the boxes, I can print my own shipping labels and postage and the post office will even come and pick up the packages for me.

For international I have to use different boxes, fill out the customs forms and then make a trip to the post office to mail them. To top it all off when I write accurate information on the customs forms the customer gets mad at me because I listed the item and it's value accurately and they got charged customs. Now doing international shipping comes with the territory and I really enjoy dealing with folks in other countries. I like to tell people I now have friends all over the world as we have a lot of regular customers from all over the globe. However it is a lot more work than domestic.

Zaphod wrote:
Because shipping internationally can be quite a hassle. It's more work to fill out the customs forms, the items tend to mysteriously disappear more often, and there is a less protection for the sender in terms of insurance and tracking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Aljovin wrote:
You may want to try http://www.levalet.com it charges only 5$ (Canadian) for shipping, everywhere, I think.

From their website:
Canada and US: $5.00 - surface mail
Europe: $15.00 - surface mail
Other countries or air mail: billed at cost

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McIlhatton
New Zealand
Palmerston North
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You need to think about the motivation for giving the discount.

The shop wants to entice people to buy a large order, perhaps larger than they intended, just so they can get the free shipping. Many 'Games I bought' lists here on the 'geek show that people do buy extra stuff for this reason.

However an international customer (such as myself) already has motivation to place a big order because the shipping cost per item drops significantly if I place a large order.

So it isn't good business sense for the shops to offer this discount to us foreigners.

And as people have already stated it is a lot more hassle to ship internationally.

Personally I'm just glad that many US online stores do ship internationally. at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with all the others here: Free shipping is not the big deal due to the fact that I got my games cheaper in the US than here.

Used to buy books is the US too and they had a really cheap flat-rate for shipping (surface!) which they dropped. I asked why and they told me that most of their foreign customers are not interested to wait for 4 - 12 weeks. And due to the fact that only a very small percentage voted for "snail-mail" they dropped it. So the first question is: How long am I willing to wait. Since most people would respond: Only a week - I have to pay for the extra shipping.

@ Brian: To those who get angry about the true customs declaration I can answer these: I usually have between 12 - 20 packages shipped from the US. Some do a true declaration of the value which is less a pain due to the fact that I pay the postman (and the game is still cheaper than buying it here). A false declaration takes longer: The customs - office will hold the package, I have to do some paperwork, go for an hour ride to pick it up and, if the package contains Wargames / CoSims might get questioned.

From my experience: 50 % of the packages pass the customs unnoticed but the larger the package is - the higher the chance that I have to go to the customs office (even if the declaration is true). That's speaking for the region I live in Germany.

@ Gilad: I think the biggest problem might be a lack of Gamestores in your region that have the games you want. Usually I check the local (internet) stores for the price of a game, than check the US stores, add shipping and tax and see where I land. Then I decide. I'm sure that's the way you do it too but maybe MAYBE someone sees your posting and starts a HUGE Internet store in your country. Otherwise the paperwork and the customs - declaration (that even might vary between the different countries - I always have to fight with the customs - office about: Invoice in German - but they learn, slowly but steadily) makes free shipping for us international buyers a no-no.

One (maybe stupid) hint: If you have a large order, just ask for a discount (the 10 $ free shipping charge). Sometimes you get a positive response. If the order is really large, they might even give a a flat-rate for shipping or deduct some % from the price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilad Yarnitzky
Israel
Reut
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for all of you who answered me.
I must admit that I wrote the letter in a provocative way and I can understand some of the reasons for the shipping costs. I’m simply frustrated that there are hardly any games here (but things are much better now then two years ago), and most of my purchases are internationally, and the shipping costs and taxes are killing me. At my current financial state looks like only one small purchase will be in the up coming year…so many games, so little money…

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ycyclop wrote:
However, you can look at it a bit differently. The free shipping in the states is actually a small discount of ~10$ on the average. So why not give the same discount to international buyers who buy at the same value?

Such discounts seem to be common (at least in Germany). Some shops:

milan spiele
- national shipping cost 5 Euro, reduced in steps until 0 Euro at a value of 80 Euro.
- international shipping cost depends on country. Up to 9 Euro discount for large orders (full discount reached at 360 Euro)

spiele-offensive
- national shipping cost 4 Euro, or 0 Euro for larger orders (40 Euro up)
- international shipping: 4 Euro discount for larger orders (40 Euro up)

ab-zur-kasse
- national shipping cost 4 Euro, or 0 Euro for larger orders (40 Euro up)
- international shipping: 4 Euro discount for larger orders (40 Euro up)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.