BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: LARP for everyone! (Life Action Role Playing - like somethin rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Steininger
Germany
Darmstadt/Dieburg
flag msg tools
Greetings geeks, this is my first post in this board.

Some years ago, afriend of mine and I invited 15 People to a dinner Party set up in the 1920, along with a formal invitation and some sort of "character sheet" containing only a short description of their character and their personal agenda for the evening.

We chose people that never had played roleplaying games before, and had a very fun evening as the crowd came costumed for an auction of occult objects in the castle of an poor noble.
The "castle" was just one big room, but they all had lots of opportunities to interact, and the evening was really great.

My question:
I�ve looked for this kind of game ever since. Think of some kind of whodunnit or something like that.
Just a scenario, some character descriptions and an interesting plot, like a murder investigation or something like that.

Is there anyone who has information about such games?

Bye!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Search for "Evening Of Murder" in the search box.

There are dozens of them in different genres.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Birzer
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: LARP for everyone! (Life Action Role Playing - like some
Sites I found while Googling that may be helpful for you:

http://larp-welt.de/
http://www.larpkalender.de/

I think most LARPs are homebrewed things. I don't know if there are any "systems", so to speak. I do know it is a common "feature" at a lot of conventions, and I've gone to cons totally dedicated to LARPs.

Jason

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cross
United States
Atkinson
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
We have a bunch of the "How to Host a Murder" series. They're a lot of fun, but they can only be played once. We especially enjoyed a Star Trek-based one. I couldn't believe some of the costumes that people came up with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The above post is pretty informative

Here at Durham we have a society devoted to LARP, called Treasure Trap. It meets on the same day as the Games Society, so I have never been, but we do have a few members in common. I'll ask them about online support if I get the chance (of course, given the circumstances, we don't meet that often...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Tavener
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
The overtext below is true.
badge
The overtext above is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
Incidentally, I found the "How to Host A Murder" ones quite professionally done, with only occasional "bugs" - the "Murder Mystery Party" games I played seemed much less professional, with occasional glaring inconsistencies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like the "Murder in a Box" games, there is another step deeper into the world of "Interactive Literature".

There are a series of games out there where each player is given quite a bit of background and a story comes out through the interaction of the players. "The Last Voyage of the Mary Celeste" is a good example of this type of game. In these games, you do roleplay your character and each character has a secret agenda, people they like, don't like, want to kill, etc.

It's different from "Mind's Eye Theater" and IFGS/NERO, etc in that you don't make your own character. It's more like you are reading a novel where each person has their character up to a point, and you see how the story unfolds.

The LARPA is one place where they talk about this type of game - they run several Intercon events where you can play these games. They also have a Game Bank where you can download or purchase some of these games.

http://www.larpaweb.net

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael R
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This webpage has links to a lot of scenarios for LARPS.

http://www.rpg.net/larp/index.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brain
United Kingdom
London, UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might also find it useful to google for "freeform" as well, as that's a nother common term used for this type of game that's generally used to distinguish it from things like Treasure Trap and The Gathering. Freeforms are much more sedate affairs and, although there is frequently combat, it is generally abstracted rather than active.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Steininger
Germany
Darmstadt/Dieburg
flag msg tools
Thanks for all the hints!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.