A El-Nowehy
Canada
Markham
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The eighth option in KoK suggests that each player puts down 3 cards for the opponent to choose from thus adding element of randomness to the battles instead of the predictability of the original game.

I agree that adding such randomness will make the battles more exciting, but at the same time, I think, it’s unfair to the player who planned his moves better to just lose by sheer luck.

The alternative variant I’m suggesting is to proceed with the battle as it was in GoT unless one of the belligerents (normally the one who is about to lose) opts for the random variant.

The player who chooses the random variant gets to choose the number of cards to be drawn from. The maximum number of cards picked should leave that player with at least one card after the battle.

Like the suggested variant in the KoK, each player selects a card from the set picked by the his opponent. But the player who opted for randomness loses all the cards she picked regardless of the outcome of the battle, while the other player loses only the card drawn from his set.

This suggested variant has three differences from the one in KoK:
1. Randomness is optional but could be imposed by one of the two players.
2. The one who opts for randomness will choose the number of cards to be selected from as oppose to the suggested 3 cards in KoK.
3. The one who opts for randomness will lose all the cards he picked while the other player will lose only one.

IMO this variant will avoid the predictability that the original game suffers from but at the same time will maintain fairness by penalizing the player who wants to play against the odds. It is, as if the losing party pulls a stunt that could save the battle but will cost her dearly.

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's interesting--but, burning through a lot of your house cards isn't necessarily a penalty, and making it possible to dump a bunch of crappy cards seems to take all the sting out of using your good ones.

It seems like people will tend to use up their best cards early on, and then have one battle in which they choose the random variant so that they can dump all their low cards (and, if they're lucky, win the battle), leaving only one medium-power card to use before they get their good cards back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Elliott
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe a better way to handle this would be to require a player to pay a couple power tokens for the right to fight a random-draw battle...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A El-Nowehy
Canada
Markham
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually I think this is not a bad idea. Or pay a power token for each card .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.