Kelly
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bake Me Silly!
A game designed for the 2013 Solitaire Print and Play Contest

Well since I never managed to get components ready for this game last year, I'm back to re-attempt it this year. The game is going to have a bit of a design overhaul to try and simplify it a bit.

The link to the 2012 thread can be found here for those interested: Previous entry thread

Game description
You've recently invested in your life long dream to run your own bakery. The property is bought, the main kitchen is finished and your ready to buy some supplies and get baking!
In two weeks time representatives from the international food magazine Baker's Dozen are coming to rate and review your restaurant! Pleasing your customers, baking quality products and keeping the bakery clean will ensure that your bakery's review is glowing!

How the game plays

There will be a supply line of ingredient cards, special ingredient cards and employee cards. The player will be able to buy ingredients and use them in a deck building fashion, employees will be placed in front of you and either increase your productivity or have a special ability that will affect the game positively somehow.

Then the player will draw a hand and use what they have in hand to bake products in order to fulfill the needs of the customers each turn, as the player earns more points from the satisfaction of the customers the amount of customers will increase along with opening up more slots for employees and/or spaces on the supply line.

After 14 turns (2 weeks) the game will end and the player will total up their score which will correspond to the amount of stars that their bakery will earn (plus some other achievements for surpassing 5 stars)

Components
- Bakery Board
- Ingredient Cards
- Employees Cards
- Customer Cards
- Cubes for products (4 colours)

* Approximate Playing Time

* Links to the current game files

* An image of the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: WIP Bake Me Silly! (MkII) Solitaire PnP contest 2013 - Idea phase
I wanted to try and get an ingredients component into the game as it is baking after all so I thought it could be done with a supply line - where employees would also become available.

The player would buy from the supply line to bake that turn what products they can with the employees that are available. The player would then use the products to try and satisfy the customers drawn that turn.

Customers will then give a reward based on the level of satisfaction and then a new turn would start with a new supply and customer line.

I'll explain all this clearer with images later and once I've thought about it a bit more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet. (...No pun intended.) Can't wait to see how the game plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Always looking for a different game experience. This sounds interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've done a lot of brainstorming on this over the course of today and found it really hard to come up with mechanics that would work, not be too random but still fit the theme of the game.

I think I've got some bare bones that I'm happy to continue exploring and possibly mocking up:

The items to bake will require a number of 'ingredients' for example bread will require 1 set of ingredients whereas pies might need 3 sets. I feel that having different ingredients for different products may become too complex and hard to track.

The acquisition of ingredients is probably going to be done in a deck-building sort of fashion. So individual cards will be sets of ingredients (1-4 for example) then I will think of some other special cards that you can add to the deck. Then the player will draw 4 cards or something to determine how many products can be baked.

I think to keep the randomness down a bit the customers will need to be revealed before the baking phase otherwise players could get frustrated by not baking the right products - or this could be seen as predictable. Maybe the customers could have a number of items to buy and a budget to spend depending on the position of the queue they are in.

There's always the added possibility of putting random events into the customer deck that get replaced with a customer once resolved to give the player either positive or negative situations to carry out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about the quality of ingredients? Could that have a effect? Higher quality ingredients have higher point values but as a consequence cost more to play/use.

For instance eggs, dried eggs were used during the war years but the quality wasn't great, hens eggs are the de-facto eggs for backing but duck eggs have a reputation for light and quality cakes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wrrlykam wrote:
What about the quality of ingredients? Could that have a effect? Higher quality ingredients have higher point values but as a consequence cost more to play/use.

That's a great idea, it would be more reason to have the deck building element. I wanted to do individual ingredients but I think that the maths involved would be too complex for me to work out and for the player when playing. So my ingredient cards would be a single card type but have different numbers on to determine how many ingredients you have.

I think I will be changing the goal of the game too as to pay back a realistic loan is hard to represent in gaming terms and could either make the game feel unbalanced and/or too long as it would take many turns to generate a realistic amount of money.

So instead I think it will be a points system to determine how respectable your bakery is with a score track with milestones that will affect the game in a positive way. So once a player gets to a certain score their bakery will become a 2* bakery (then onto 3* 4* 5*) which could determine the hand size of supplies and how many customers you get a turn.

Currently I imagine that the game would have 14 turns to represent 2 weeks before the bakery is "inspected" to determine its star rating. This would introduce a 'high score' element too that the player can try to beat each time. Of course until I make an initial prototype and play test everything is guess work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Peet
United States
Milford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelzky wrote:

This would introduce a 'high score' element too that the player can try to beat each time.

I really like this idea, I think it will add to the replay value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Germflinger wrote:
Kelzky wrote:

This would introduce a 'high score' element too that the player can try to beat each time.

I will have to make it so its not too easy to get a high score - like the 5* rating will not be the ultimate score but other milestones beyond that (awards etc) that the player can work towards maybe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelzky wrote:
Germflinger wrote:
Kelzky wrote:

I will have to make it so its not too easy to get a high score - like the 5* rating will not be the ultimate score but other milestones beyond that (awards etc) that the player can work towards maybe.

Yep. Food awards,

EGGON RODNEY Award - (Egon Roney pun)
Four Letter Award - (Gordon Ramsey style award)
Sam and Ella Award - (negative award points for this poison)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wrrlykam wrote:

Yep. Food awards,

EGGON RODNEY Award - (Egon Roney pun)
Four Letter Award - (Gordon Ramsey style award)
Sam and Ella Award - (negative award points for this poison)

Yus! Comedy - I love it!

Question is would these be awards that the player would add to the game or purely for comedy value and bragging rights?

Edit: reduced size of quote as the whole lot wasn't needed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really just a general suggestion, some humorous awards ideas for levels. I can't think of the game at the moment but it had some silly "similar names" items that made you smile, roll your eyes or groan. Unless you want to keep serious.

For the sam and ella award was really me being silly. But it could be an idea for a hazard card/event - food poisoning/poor hygiene.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well the game is called Bake me Silly!

Silly pun-like milestone awards to give the player a sense of achievement sounds good to me - I'm already adding small bonuses for each star gained on the points track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been doing some more thinking about the game and now I think I need to start making up some components for it to start some testing to see how the game is going to (or not going to) work.
I've got some special cards in mind for the game that will provide some issues/solutions for issues for the player such as

* Rats
* Flood
* Clean up (deals with flood/rats)
* VIP's (give bonus for satisfaction)
* Health inspector (causes player to loose points for flood/rats in play)

I've also updated the initial post to better explain what the game is about with the following:

Game description

You've recently invested in your life long dream to run your own bakery. The property is bought, the main kitchen is finished and your ready to buy some supplies and get baking!
In two weeks time representatives from the international food magazine Baker's Dozen are coming to rate and review your restaurant! Pleasing your customers, baking quality products and keeping the bakery clean will ensure that your bakery's review is glowing!

How the game plays

There will be a supply line of ingredient cards, special ingredient cards and employee cards. The player will be able to buy ingredients and use them in a deck building fashion, employees will be placed in front of you and either increase your productivity or have a special ability that will affect the game positively somehow.

Then the player will draw a hand and use what they have in hand to bake products in order to fulfill the needs of the customers each turn, as the player earns more points from the satisfaction of the customers the amount of customers will increase along with opening up more slots for employees and/or spaces on the supply line.

After 14 turns (2 weeks) the game will end and the player will total up their score which will correspond to the amount of stars that their bakery will earn (plus some other achievements for surpassing 5 stars)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoa. Flooding? Really? I didn't realize that was a thing that restaurateurs had to be concerned about! Because that would really suck--all your flour and sugar ruined.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe faulty plumbing? Lol, it was one of the first things that came to mind !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelzky wrote:

Man, I'd want to strangle that plumber!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:
Kelzky wrote:

Man, I'd want to strangle that plumber!

It happens. Flooding even hit the local Leisure Centre, spent 2 million pounds on a refit and they managed flood the entire lower basement levels just before the big reopening. They had to close the Cafe too while the basement was flooded. The funny thing was that they couldn't manage to get the pool to fill in spite of fixing the leak, took them nearly six months to sort it out.

Flooding nearly killed my FLGS. The pipe in an empty neighbouring property burst and destroyed £25000 worth of stock including his entire stock of Babylon 5 CCG Psi Corp boosters and starters and all his CCG singles. A sad sad day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
wrrlykam wrote:

Flooding nearly killed my FLGS. The pipe in an empty neighbouring property burst and destroyed £25000 worth of stock including his entire stock of Babylon 5 CCG Psi Corp boosters and starters and all his CCG singles. A sad sad day.

Good Lord. I hope the store had good insurance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flooding killed my local craft shop, built within a garden centre on a known flood plain - though flooding happens every couple of years there it never really hit the garden centre except this one year.

Craft supplies are known for not mixing with water! The shop moved location then lasted less than 2 years before bankruptcy - shame really as it was much cheaper than hobby craft!

Back onto the gaming track I'm currently working out the initial numbers for the ingredient deck and doing some more pondering over the customer deck...

... If the customers were double sided it could give the player an indication of the products they could buy, then when flipped the actual numbers they will purchase - maybe sometimes they'll buy very little. Or maybe a hidden VIP/Health inspector. I also thought one of the employee abilities could be to flip one of the customers before the baking phase. What do you guys think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Numbers numbers numbers cry how does anyone achieve... numbers and... math?

Designing games is easy - making them work is hard, and this is where I fail at these contests because it gets too hard and I give up.

I will trudge through it! I am determined and I have more time in this contest than the last two that I entered late!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Peet
United States
Milford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelzky wrote:
Numbers numbers numbers cry how does anyone achieve... numbers and... math?

Designing games is easy - making them work is hard, and this is where I fail at these contests because it gets too hard and I give up.

I will trudge through it! I am determined and I have more time in this contest than the last two that I entered late!

I completely understand how you feel! Numbers and structure...how many of this..how does this connect to that...etc. Conceptual ideas come easy, the bare bones working model can be hard to solidify.

In my own current design I have been repeatedly returning to the most simple state of the structure. Perhaps going to the simplest structure and then adding elements once that structure is solid may be a good approach. I know everyone works differently but sometimes it works for me. I always have to remind myself to focus on being patient with it...often an AHAAA! moment will occur.

DON"T GIVE UP!!!

You're doing well and have a lot of support here. Keep working at it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael R.
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't worry about the numbers. Put any old numbers in and see what happens. It is very difficult to decide on the mathematical side of things if you approach it as a mental exercise. Perfectly distributing values may work on paper but feel totally wrong when you actually play the game. Just make a version that seems 'ok'and trust that play testers will feed back their results, which is the thing that will help you balance it most of all. It's highly likely that your first version will be way too easy or way too hard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys I love the community here ^-^

Well I've plugged in some hopefully useful numbers - Magic Set Editor has been my friend in making up proxies that look vaguely cool and will be easy to modify.

Time to print and have a go I guess!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I played two half games of 7 turns each and I stopped at these points as I had either 0 or 1 VP and not being able to bake anything but the lowest tier product of the game shake

So it seems that the numbers are WAY off lol, but it was hard to know what to change - but I knew it needed to be quite drastic - so I made the lowest tier product sell for more, some items in the supply line cheaper and started the game with two customers each turn rather than one.

Then I decided to play a full game of 14 turns no matter what.
End of game:
10 VP (just enough for a 2* bakery based on original numbers)
11 money (it accumulated at the end as there wasn't much point in buying anything)

Some notes:
The game is far too hard to get off the mark - I mostly only could produce one product a turn and give it to a customer, the times I could produce two products the customers didn't want them. This is either an issue with the starting hand/deck or with the number of ingredients required for each product. I also found that when I wanted fruit I had meat in hand. I may combine the two into an either/or card.

Its even possible that I do not need the fruit/meat element - I included it to add variation to the game but I may remove it to see how that effects the game and to see if it still is fun to play.

The deck building part seemed fine at first, I was happy to purchase better cards and they proved useful in hand - then I got a board full of 'meat' ingredients that I didn't want and no way to remove them. I'm considering refreshing the entire supply line each turn rather than replenishing it card by card as they are bought.

Towards the end of the game there didn't seem to be any point in buying any additional cards as I wasn't going to get to use them - I could add VP to the cards to add up at the end of the game. I am not sure how else to fix this problem.

It's clear that there is a lot of altering/tweaking/testing before this game gets anywhere near anoyone else maybe a deck builder was too ambitious?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |