Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marc Hartstein
United States
North Plainfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm afraid I've broken the two-player variant of Jungle Speed. It's not completely unplayable, but it's not as fun as it should be.

The problem is that you only need one of your hands to win. The neat thing about this is that you can play to send cards from one hand to the other. The problem is that you can get an early win.

As soon as one of your hands has no cards left in its draw pile (only on the table), you can simply grab the totem with your other hand and claim victory. Your other hand gets all the face-up cards, and your first hand has now won. A hollow victory, but a victory no less.

Saying, "You can't do that," doesn't really fix the problem. You'd still win if you "accidentally" grabbed the totem with the non-winning hand. Saying you can't win that way is kludgy. Accepting that the first hand to play its draw pile out is the winner is ok, but it's not quite as satisfying as the full game.

Any suggestions for how to fix it that actually fix it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a couple games of 2 player Jungle Speed and thought it was pretty fun. I don't think we ran into your scenario, but I can't remember for sure.

One way to fix the issue is that if a player does a bad grab or bad totum touch ( ) then the player takes those cards and puts them in his pile that has the least amount of cards left reguardless of which hand actually made the bad touch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Oliver
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What are you using for your victory condition?

I play the 2-player variant as posted at the Jungle Speed web site. According to that,

Quote:
The game is over when both players have managed to get rid of all the cards in one draw pile. The players then count their remaining cards; whoever has the most loses the match.

If I understand correctly what you are saying, you mean that when one player is out of cards in one of their piles, then they have won the game. But that is not how to end the game -- the game continues until both players are down to a single pile each.

Then there is the problem of incorrect grabs. If you just grab the totem every time with your remaining hand, you will often grab for the wrong card and take the cards, thus adding to your remaining cards and reducing your chances of winning.

Also, we've found in our games that sometimes a player forgets they can't take cards with a hand that has no cards left, so that player now must take cards back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hartstein
United States
North Plainfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah. I'm playing under old rules, which are broken as I describe. I am almost certain the website has changed since I last visited (I really don't remember reading the PDF sideways on my screen).

Under the old rules, the victory condition was the first player to get rid of all their cards from either hand. It was also permitted to duel between your hands strategically; or you could ignore the duel and continue playing. The rules specifically suggested that it might be a good idea to have one hand collect a lot of cards and protect the other hand as your "winning hand".

I'll have to try these new rules and see how they play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
In case anybody reads this... I believe the more current ruling is that a 2-player game ends when one person gets rid of BOTH of their piles. That person wins.

I've only played 3 such games but the rules seem to work well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.