Subject: can someone explain moving the fellowship through moria? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Beller
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
Can someone please explain what can happen if the fellowship chooses to move through Moria?

This is something that I seem to have a hard time understanding for some reason.

In other words: HOW does the fellowship move through Moria? HOW does the game mechanics do that?

Thanks

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Beller
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
I think what I am asking is....and what I am not understanding is....

The difference between "Declaring" and being "Revealed".

The FP player chooses to "declare", right? And if the fellowship is declared, then the ringbearers take no corruption (even if moving through Moria), correct?

But if the fellowship is "revealed" (which can only be done via a successful hunt, right?), then the fellowship would take corruption if they choose to go through Moria, correct?

Do I have the right handle on this situation? If declared, the fellowship can move through Moria WITHOUT risk of taking corruption. BUT....if revealed, the fellowship could take extra corruption. Is this the right way to handle that?

Thanks

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
Technically one could say there's no Fellowship counter---rather, there's a "last known position of the Fellowship" counter. This counter is moved when the Fellowship is revealed or declared. At that point you move the counter up to the number of spaces of progress it has made on the track.

Moria is a space, just like the other spaces on the board. So, for example, if it's in Rivendell and you declare with 4 spaces of progress, you pick up the counter in Rivendell and move it to Fords of Bruinen (1), Hollin (2), Moria (3) and Dimrill Dale (4).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct. Declaring is something you do voluntarily, at the start of your turn. Revealing is something that happens to you and that's usually bad. You don't take the extra tile if you declare going through Moria, only if you are revealed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eager
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
DBA Junkie
badge
"A Book should serve as the Ax for the frozen sea within us."-- KAFKA
mbmbmbmbmb
sauron I believe the circumstance you are thinking of occurs if (and ONLY if) the Shadow Player has played the Event card "Balrog of Moria".
The fastest route to Mordor is straight through Moria. Any other route requires more regions to be passed through, consequently more Action Dice used for the Fellowship player. But understanding how to utilize the Fellowship Track vs. when the "Frodo & Sam" token is fairly critical to playing the game.
Realize that when "moving" the Fellowship, the "Frodo & Sam" token is not ACTUALLY moved, rather the Fellowship counter is simply advanced on the Fellowship Track. This allows the Fellowship Player to "choose" between alternate routes to Mordor, providing he can avoid the Hunt. Only when the Fellowship is "revealed" by a successful Hunt roll is the "Frodo & Sam" token actually moved. Or when the Fellowship player "declares" his location voluntarily--if, for example, you wished to heal a few corruption points in Lorien by hanging out there for a turn, you must "declare" that the Fellowship is "in Lorien"--at which point you must demonstrate that the counter is a sufficient number of spaces advanced on the Fellowship Track to ALLOW the move.
But what if you are "revealed" NOT of your own volition by a successful Hunt roll? Let's say hypothetically that the Fellowship is first found (revealed) with the Fellowship Track on 5. The Fellowship player could choose ANY region five spaces away from Rivendell in which to locate the Fellowship, either over the High Pass, through Moria or straight South into Isengard (or even the Shire, though why one would choose that I can't imagine). The FP then moves the Frodo & Sam token to the chosen region, but moves the Fellowship track back to zero, since the Shadow Player now knows the Fellowship's "last known location", which is what the "Frodo & Sam" token really represents. Remember also that "revealing" requires the Fellowship to expend an Action Dice to hide prior to moving onward, "declaring" does NOT!
Remember that the Free Peoples player must "declare" their arrival in Mordor. If the Shadow Player has played Balrog of Moria, any time the Fellowship is EITHER declared OR revealed and the Fellowship track is Beyond '3', the players must determine if the Fellowship's route had to pass through Moria. Let's say you've burned straight to Mordor without being found even once by the Hunt Roll. If the counter on the Fellowship track shows 10 when the Fellowship "declares" their arrival in Mordor, then they MUST have passed through Moria (no other route requires only ten moves from Rivendell to Mordor), at which point they must draw a Hunt tile just as if they had been revealed by a successful Hunt roll. But only if the Balrog of Moria Event card is in play. sauron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also if the last known position counter is in Moria, whether by declaration (though you shouldn't declare there) or revelation, Shadow gets to reroll some hunt dice when the Fellowship moves again...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cabalzero wrote:
sauron I believe the circumstance you are thinking of occurs if (and ONLY if) the Shadow Player has played the Event card "Balrog of Moria".

This is not correct. From the rulebook:
Quote:
When the Fellowship is revealed, and its path traced from its last known position, if the Fellowship has moved through, is moving from, or is moving into a Shadow Stronghold, then a Hunt tile is immediately drawn as if a Hunt has been successful. This is done only if the Fellowship is revealed by the Shadow Player, and it is in addition to any further effects of a successful Hunt.

This occurs whenever the Fellowship is revealed passing out of, into or through any Shadow Stronghold, including Moria. Of course, this effect can be avoided by declaring the Fellowship after getting clear of the Stronghold in question.

So, to answer the original question, being revealed passing through a Shadow Stronghold carries a penalty, but declaring the Fellowship and passing through a Shadow Stronghold does not, unless a card says otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One other clarification: If the Fellowship is declared, it is still Hidden. A die does not need to be expended to Hide it again before it can move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
>Of course, this effect can be avoided by declaring the Fellowship after getting clear of the Stronghold in question.

Or by choosing a movement path which _avoids_ going thru them; right ???

I must say that the rules are quite confusing WRT fellowship movement and the sequence of steps involved with Hunt results.

In what language were the rules originally written? And why didn't they hire a native English speaker to format them in English?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gronak wrote:
>Of course, this effect can be avoided by declaring the Fellowship after getting clear of the Stronghold in question.

Or by choosing a movement path which _avoids_ going thru them; right ???

Correct.

Gronak wrote:
I must say that the rules are quite confusing WRT fellowship movement and the sequence of steps involved with Hunt results.

In what language were the rules originally written? And why didn't they hire a native English speaker to format them in English?

They were written in Italian. A game of this complexity with such subtle nuances is always difficult to translate into another language. The FAQ clears up a lot of issues. It can be found here: http://www.warofthering.webb.se/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.