Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ed S.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
I started out playing Heroscape, but I'm finding a lot of D&D Miniatures that I like too. One of the things I really like about Heroscape is that it's based on a hex grid and that the terrain is stackable, allowing you to build towers, bridges, ravines and such.

While I've been converting some of my favorite D&D figures to Heroscape squads and heros, I thought it would also be good to go the other way too and make some rules amendments for D&D Miniatures to take advantage of the 3D aspects of the Heroscape terrain.

Here are my suggested amendments. Let me know what you think. I'm sure they could do with some play-testing.

MOVEMENT

GRIDS. The big difference between the two games is that Heroscape uses a hex-grid and D&D uses a square-grid. D&D has special rules about moving diagonally. Basically, just scrap the diagonal movement rules and move one hex per speed.

CLIMBING. Here we use a direct translation of Heroscape's rules about moving up in elevation. Every tile a figure climbs costs one of their movement points. The figure must have at least one movement point left after climbing to actually move into the space at the top of their climb, or they can't make it. Also, unless the figure has some special ability, they can't climb more than their height in elevation at one time.

For example: a creature with movement 6 is next to a "cliff" that is 4 tile-sides high (4 tiles stacked on each other). That creature climbs the 4 tile-sides and stops at the space on top of the "cliff". That movement costs him 5, so he can still move 1 more space.

Another example: a creature with movement 4 wants to make the same climb, but cannot because it would cost 4 just to traverse the vertical of 4, but he wouldn't have movement enough to actually move into the space on top.

D&D stats don't state height, so a good rule of thumb is to use the height of the figure plus one. Humanoids generally are, in Heroscape terms, size "MEDIUM 4". That means they can't climb more than 4 tiles at a time.

FLYING. If a D&D figure has "F" next to its speed, it can fly and can ignore changes in elevation.

DESCENDING AND FALLING. Moving from higher to lower elevation does not cost extra movement. If the drop is equal to or more than the figure's height, roll the 20-sided. On a roll of 1, take 10 damage. On a roll of 2-7, take 5 damage. On rolls of 8 or higher, take no damage. If the drop is more than 10 times your figure's height, take an automatic 5 damage and add any damage taken from the normal fall roll.

Do not roll for damage if falling into water or deep snow.

COMBAT

ADJACENCY. Melee combat requires the combatants to be adjacent. To be adjacent, figures must not only be in spaces that are adjacent, but also the difference in elevations must be no greater than the height of the lower figure. For creatures with a melee reach of more than 1, the elevation still matters.

For example: A figure of height 4 stands in a small crater that is 3 tile-sides deep. Another figure stands up on the edge of the crater, but otherwise right next to the first figure. The difference of their elevation is 3 (the depth of the crater). The lower figure's height (4) is more than 3, so the figures are adjacent and can fight with melee.

Another example: Same scenario as above except the crater is 5 deep. The figures are not adjacent because the lower figure's height (4) is not greater than the tile-depth (5). The figures cannot engage in melee.

ELEVATION ADVANTAGE. When attacking from an elevation that is one or more tile-sides higher than its target, a creature applies a bonus of +5 to the chance to hit. When defending from a higher elevation, apply a +5 bonus to the defender's AC.

ELEVATION DOES NOT AFFECT RANGE. For all intents and purposes, elevation does not affect range.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Browne
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting, although since I own no heroscape tiles I won't be trying.

I'm curious how you factor burrowing.
How are you factoring line of sight, especially over height?

Line of sight in DDM is factored by beginning on a tile corner, is this still applicable?

With Melee Reach 2, it should allow an attacker to attack a height 4 creature in a size 5 pit. (They have that extra reach, after all.)

Can ranged attacks shoot over a small rise to attack something directly behind it? (I'd consider this "cover")

How, otherwise, do you factor cover?

If I gave it more thought, I'm sure to come up with a ton more questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed S.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
A lot of good points you have. I totally neglected "cover" rules in my first draft, but I've since added them. I'm updating the document on a wiki at http://minis.wikispaces.com/DDM+on+Heroscape+Terrain

Here's what I have so far...

LINE OF SIGHT AND COVER
There is line of sight between figures if you can see the target's body from the attacker's "eyes". This is tested by getting as close to the "point of view" of the attacking figure as possible, which usually involves squatting and squinting. Seeing the tip of a weapon or cloak is not enough, a major body-part must be seen. If there's a dispute, roll for it.

Line of sight can also be thought of as originating from the center of the space on which the attacking figure stands and terminating in the center of the space on which the target stands.

If, in the line of sight between attacker and defender, there is a terrain feature that is higher than both of the figures' bases, the defender has cover.

As for MELEE REACH, I must have left out the sentence that explains it. I'll add it on the wiki.

I really appreciate your input on this. It's going to take some playtesting. What would you suggest for BURROWING rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Wagaman
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We just used Heroscape terrain for a 100 point, 3 figure, 7 player grand-melee. It was a blast.

We used a +1 for attack if you were attacking down (melee or range) and a +1 to the defense of a figure that was higher and being attacked.

In the future, we'll add a melee reach down and up of 2 level for each square of melee reach.

We used much of the same rules for for flight that were discussed earlier.

FRED

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed S.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Wow, 7 players! I've been away from my Heroscape terrain for a couple months, I'll have to try to get a big skirmish like that going when I get back.

Have you gone back and played again with your post-game modifications?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought about using heroscape tiles too.

I found various problems that needed to be fixed.

LOS and cover dan be solved by using hex-"corner" instead of square-"corner", using the D&D miniatures rules.

The main problem i still have to solve is "cone" effects.

The second problem is for large minis. A figure that stands on 4 squares in D&D minis cannot fit on 4 hexes in HeroScape. It really makes for ankward movement.

Never mind very huge creatures that take 6 squares or the collosal red dragon that takes an 8 by 8 grid...

If you limit yourself to creatures that only takes a single square, you might be ok i guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Cameron
United States
Magnolia
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I gave the large creatures a little thought as I have a bunch of Heroscape terrain and mean to try and use it for DDM sometime. I would think the Large " 4 square " mini's would fit ok in a 3 Hex Heroscape terrain section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.