Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Low
United States
Mansfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The last time I visted my parent's house, I noticed the poor forlorn box of Scotland Yard on a shelf, and brought it out for my weekly geek night. I think it is one of the only games that I played as a "kid" that still entertain to the same degree.

So four of the six players were familiar with the game. We made up a house rule that the inspectors/agents could not take "too long", and could not put markers on the board. Mr. X's job gets that much tougher, and it just doesn't feel like a chase game when you let the agents take all day.

Game one, the agents spread out in anticipation of the first reveal, and Mr X was forced to use a 2x on his first reveal since he showed up right next to an agent in the upper right portion of the board.

The dragnet tighened quickly, with agents blocking to the left, lower-left, left at the river, and right at the river, with the last agent wrapping around to sweep the area. The agents had deduced that Mr. X was either still in the area, or had headed nearly straight "south".

When one of the two agents on the river crossed a bridge to the lower side, Mr X was caught. What a short game!

Given our quick game, we setup for another go. The new Mr. X figured he had a low bar, given that he only had to last about ten turns to beat the prior showing.

Game two, the agents anticipated a tougher go, now that Mr. X had seen how precarious his situation could be. The agents spread out, and Mr. X made his preliminary moves.

Mr. X did one of his 2x moves, and appeared near the middle of the board. The agents moved to close in, and the very first agent took the underground from 46 to 79 and landed on Mr X. The second Mr. X said that he didn't notice that underground connection. It made for the shorted game I think I've ever seen. From there, we gave up on Scotland Yard for the night, and moved on to learn Vanished Planet.

Good to drag it back out, but I hope that we get some longer games out of this. Wow were those two short!

-Greg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.