Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Crocker
United States
Westland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, this is a beautiful game and I like all of the components and parts, except one.... The round die-cut family control markers. I've always found such counters to be hard to pick up, and they've always given me a feeling of cheapness. I started thinking about what I could do to improve them...to make them thicker and give them a little more heft. An inspirational moment gave me this idea. I just took each counter and a dab of Elmer's glue, and then fastened each one to a penny...they're virtually the same size. Now those counters are about 150% thicker, and at least 3 times heavier. Much easier for my fat fingers to manipulate. I've used this idea in a couple of other games too. I can't think of another material or method that is either cheaper, or would give me better results (you need 270 pennies).
And replacing the money with poker chips (as mentioned in another forum thread) is a crackerjack idea, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In the spirit of the game, it occurred to me that spent cartridges in various calibers and metals would make evocative "family" control markers. They're easily picked up at any shooting range. I highly recommend using only SPENT cartridge casings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crocker
United States
Westland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not bad! Or you could paint the cartridges to match the families. But frankly I wanted to do something with materials that I had on hand. Everyone has a jar full of pennies, don't they?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Szegedi
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the same thing (fat fingers)-lol

I took all the markers and paired them up with all the other colored markers and glued them together...basically you have a yellow marker and if you flip it you would have a green marker on the opposite side...or black...or blue, etc.

I was inspired by the original Conquest of the Empire game...where if you take back a land, you would normally just "flip" the control marker, having your opponent's color on the back-side.

This way...you have all the materials on hand (just need glue!) It is the perfect thickness too!

Works great! arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.