Ireland
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
WARGAME!
badge
Lines of Battle: Quatre Bras 1815. Brunswick hussar.
mbmbmbmbmb
My entry for this contest: 2013 Solitaire Print and Play Contest.

At COMPETITION READY stage. Wargame category entry.

Game Summary: Irish Freedom covers the Irish war of independence, and then the Irish civil war. The player controls the Irish forces fighting the British, then, after the treaty with Britain, plays the role of Michael Collins' Free State forces against the anti-treaty Republicans.

Download link: www.kerpob.com/games/IFv4.pdf

Components:
Map.
Rules.
British counters (Army, RIC, Black & Tans, UVF).
Irish Free State counters (Mob, Guerillas, Regulars, A/Car, Artillery).
Irish Republican counters (Mob, Guerillas, Flying column).
Random event cards
D6 is required.

Playing time = 30-60 minutes.

Game map:

Game play: The game is broadly based on my earlier p&p solitaire game Vietnam Solitaire. As the Irish player, you must first force the British to end the war in a treaty. This is done by denying areas of the country to them and eliminating British units. After this is completed, the Irish forces split along the line of the civil war. As the Free State (pro-treaty) player you will likely be initially outnumbered by the Republicans (anti-treaty), but with superior organisation and tactics, you can force their surrender.

Historical background and the game: There are very few games on either the Irish war of independence, or the subsequent civil war. The war of independence can be indirectly blamed on the Germans. In 1912, after years (centuries, some would say) of resistance, the British parliament passed the Irish Home Rule bill. The bill then began to grind its way through parliament to become law. This was widely approved in Ireland, apart from the North-east, where the largely Protestant population feared for their future in what would be a largely Catholic state. They started to arm themselves as the Ulster Volunteer Force (UVF), and so did their Irish nationalist adversaries. Civil war looked likely, but was happily averted by the sudden arrival of several million heavily armed Germans in Belgium and France. Both the UVF and the Nationalists then happily joined the British army to fight the common foe. Meanwhile, the home rule bill was suspended for the war's duration, but sure it would all be over by Christmas... wouldn't it?

It wasn't, and by 1916 some more radical Nationalists (called Republicans) got fed up and in Easter staged a farcical uprising, limited to those units that didn't get the message that it had been called off. It was crushed, but the hanging of the leaders, and the increasing harshness of British measures as the war progressed caused a sea-change in public opinion. In the 1918 general election, almost all of Ireland (not the North-east) voted in the Sinn Fein party, which refused to sit in the British parliament and, in 1919 declared Irish independence. Desultory fighting started between the new Irish Republican Army (IRA) and British forces. This is the point at which the game starts, with IRA units of varying capability in most areas of Ireland, and British garrisons (mostly Royal Irish Constabulary) throughout. In 1920 the home rule bill (remember it) passed, but by now with a special amendment allowing two parliaments - one for the North-east (now called Northern Ireland) and one for the rest of Ireland. Sinn Fein ignored it, as they already considered themselves independent, while Northern Ireland voted itself into existence. The game shows this effect with Northern Ireland having extra military units of the UVF.

As the war progressed, the IRA were most successful in the Southern parts of Ireland, and the British forces were gradually excluded from the countryside and limited to towns. The game simulates this by giving different units different strength depending on the terrain - IRA guerillas and Flying columns are best in the countryside, the British better in the urban areas.

With neither side able to win, and the British half expecting the home rule bill to have solved things in the first place, a peace treaty was signed. The treaty gave Southern Ireland (now called the Free State) Dominion status (like in Australia or Canada), with the King still as head of state, and cemented the separation of Northern Ireland. Naturally, this disgusted the more radical elements of Sinn Fein (led by Eamon De Valera), and military units who considered that they had won and so should have full independence. An election in 1922 was won handily by the pro-treaty Sinn Fein, but this did not solve things and fighting started as the pro-treaty forces, under Michael Collins, started to assert themselves over the anti-treaty forces. At this point, the players forces are split - largely along historical lines, with the South containing more anti-treaty forces, and the East more pro-treaty forces. As the player, you control the Free State forces against the anti-treaty republicans. This also means that you need to be careful how you fight the British since you will be raising troops that may not be loyal to the Free State!

Initially outnumbered, the Free State forces rapidly mobilised and quite quickly crushed the Republicans. They used innovative tactics, notably landing troops by ship at key points behind enemy lines, and were able to win battles because they generally had artillery and armour (armoured cars) while the republicans didn't. In the game you can perform naval landings, and you have attached artillery and armoured car units to give a bonus in combat.

Victory will be decided by two things - How quickly the British are beaten, and how quickly/completely the Republicans are beaten.
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kershaw
Ireland
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
WARGAME!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP][2013 Solo p&p contest] Irish Freedom! Irish war of independence and civil war 1919-23
Prototype map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP][2013 Solo p&p contest] Irish Freedom! Irish war of independence and civil war 1919-23
Wow. We've got a serious wargame design veteran in the mix! Very cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kershaw
Ireland
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
WARGAME!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Approaching playtest time. Have a map and counters sorted, plus rules. Missing random events (cards), but they're really for historical flavour.

Meanwhile, here is my biography of one of the more strange Irish commanders:

Eoin O'Duffy (1892-1944). Joined the Irish Volunteers early in 1917, and
was the first IRA commander to capture an RIC barracks in 1920. His
obvious military ability led to his rise through the ranks, supported by
Michael Collins, to Chief of Staff. He supported the treaty, and was a
key brain behind the successful strategy of seaborne invasions that
defeated the Republicans in the Civil war, *and* he was the commander
responsible for the capture of Limerick. It is after the wars though,
that his career took a decidedly odd turn. At first things were OK - he
successfully reorganised the new police service (Garda), but was
dismissed by Eamon de Valera when he came to power in the 30s. O'Duffy
was involved is setting up the paramilitary Blueshirts to defend
pro-treaty political meetings from attacks from anti-treaty
paramilitaries (who wore green shirts). He was increasingly becoming
influenced by fascism, which was in vogue in the 1930s, and was very
likely trying to organise a fascist coup with a Blueshirt march on
Dublin in 1933, but de Valera banned it, and nothing came of the effort.
Increasingly out of sync with the more moderate politics of his
pro-treaty party colleagues (now called Fine Gael) he left, formed a
short lived fascist party, and then gathered 7000 volunteers to join him
on a military mission to Spain to fight for the fascist side, although
only 700 actually made it there. Their performance and leadership was
poor, and were more of an embarrassment to Franco than a help. This
mis-adventure ended O'Duffy's political and military career.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kershaw
Ireland
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
WARGAME!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now components ready - download link in first post in thread.

Seems to play pretty historically, which is what I aim for as a priority!

I'm undecided on strategy. Beating the British is straightforward, but you will end up with a large number of Republicans if you're not careful that you then have to beat in the Civil War.

Civil War - strategy is keep the cities and drive them back. Can't let them have anything to themselves.

If you want to download and try it out, send me a geekmail, or post here your thoughts.

Thanks!

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP][2013 Solo p&p contest] Irish Freedom! Irish war of independence and civil war 1919-23 - COMPONENTS READY
kerpob2 wrote:

Is there any chance we could have a version without full-colour backgrounds on the cards? That's a lot of ink/toner!

Perhaps a colour banner behind the title of the card and the rest in black and white?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kershaw
Ireland
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
WARGAME!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP][2013 Solo p&p contest] Irish Freedom! Irish war of independence and civil war 1919-23 - COMPONENTS READY
Bichatse wrote:
kerpob2 wrote:

Is there any chance we could have a version without full-colour backgrounds on the cards? That's a lot of ink/toner!

Perhaps a colour banner behind the title of the card and the rest in black and white?
Ok, will do. Can you select black and white only when printing the card pages?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kerpob2 wrote:
Can you select black and white only when printing the card pages?

Potentially, but that will just use a lot of black as it dithers it into grey instead. :/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I look forward to playing this.

Any plans to make an Android version later?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kershaw
Ireland
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
WARGAME!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pelni wrote:
I look forward to playing this.

Any plans to make an Android version later?
Maybe. It would be iOS too though, if I did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cecily Parsley
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not even a wargamer and both this and your Vietnam game speak to me! Probably because I'm an historian...
At any rate, once I get some spare cash I'll probably print these out at our local UPS store and give them a whirl!
Good luck with the contest and nice work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lucid
United States
Mountain House
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My Grandpa was in the IRA in Kerry (the Kingdom of!) and came to America in the mid 20s. He and his buddies would get together on Easter and talk about fighting the Tans. At one point they all hid out in a crypt after some mayhem.

I'm all over this game, glad somone tackled this piece of history. Go raibh maith agat!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lucid
United States
Mountain House
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played it a couple times last night, here's my assessment.

The cards and pieces are great! Also the map is pretty good. I like the look and feel with the blue and green units as well as the British counters, it does give you a feel for the factions and the counters are functional, colorful.

Don't have many games that play solitaire well. Ghost Stories is one I actually prefer solitaire to group. This one is fun solo!

Easy, straightforward rules. I was up and running minutes after I got finished glue sticking the pieces to a cereal box.

It's random, not a lot of strategy/tactics but I see where there were a few decisions to make about where to pick my fights and get the odds going for the treaty goal. I really like the progression of units and my favorites are the Flying Columns (Up Kerry!)

Play is clean, it makes sense, logical. The grids and 6 sided die rolls make it that way and I liked that.

This game is great because of the feel of it. For me I really get a sense of the dynamics of the time with the colors shifting on the map; the differences in interaction when the Tans come into play; the event cards are very cool in enhancing that feel too.

My Grandpa was not a Free Stater. He worked in dairy until the rising and then when he joined in the civil war he was a Dev man. I wish he were alive today so I could ask him why he didn't follow Collins. I really enjoyed that film with Liam Neeson and felt the anguish between the "blue and green" factions of the game.

Nicely done Sir! I'll be looking for this on the ios or vassal. If you publish it, I'll buy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny Wilson
United States
Skokie
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zaphod b wrote:
My Grandpa was in the IRA in Kerry (the Kingdom of!) and came to America in the mid 20s. He and his buddies would get together on Easter and talk about fighting the Tans. At one point they all hid out in a crypt after some mayhem.

I'm all over this game, glad somone tackled this piece of history. Go raibh maith agat!

Just downloaded it! Even though my ancestral roots appear to be near Derry City, I'm all about beating the oppressors...er...uh...I mean trying to earn a historical conclusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kershaw
Ireland
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
WARGAME!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
War of independence cards sample:

Civil War cards sample:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lucid
United States
Mountain House
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drjohnny wrote:
zaphod b wrote:

Just downloaded it! Even though my ancestral roots appear to be near Derry City, I'm all about beating the oppressors...er...uh...I mean trying to earn a historical conclusion.

Derry City, well did I mention my Grandpa worked in the Dairy industry?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo
United States
Downingtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Solitary Man
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Dave. So I gave your game a try last night. Very cool! I’ll be honest – I do not consider myself a wargamer in the slightest (my only experience thus far is a few games of SE: 4X and T-AL), and generally, I don’t have any interest in a historic simulation style game. However, the unique subject matter of your game was both interesting and intriguing, and something about the components just grabbed my attention. So, first, kudos to you for bringing someone to your game that may not normally be interested in such things. And second, I really enjoyed my one play (so far).

The War of Independence ended in a Historical Irish Victory (2 pts) in Turn 7. The Civil War did not go as well with a Republican victory/British intervention. It was actually due to unfortunate die rolling on my part. Turns 9 and 10 had Republican Morale at 2. I rolled a 2 both times. cry Oh, well. I still enjoyed the play session.

One more caveat before I go any further, I’m only one-fourth Irish and really know nothing about my family history regarding it. modest So, all of the information and history you provided is completely new to me.

Anyway, I’ve got some comments and questions (mostly noob stuff, I’m sure) for you:

Questions
• Does Combat occur at the end of every Phase or only at the end of the Enemy Movement and the Player Action/Movement phases? After some Phases (like Events), there may be both Enemy and Player Units in the same Area. I wasn’t sure if I was to perform Combat then or not.

• In a related matter, at the end of the Enemy Movement and Player Action/Movement phases, do I perform Combat only in Areas with newly moved Units that Phase or in all Areas of the Map where both Enemy and Player Units conflict? Does that make sense? At the end of an Event or even after setup of the map, there may be Enemy/Player Units together. Will these fight even if there was no movement/action taken in that area?

• I think I got the War of Independence half of the game, but I was somewhat confused for the Civil War. Are there three sides all fighting each other? Or is there supposed to be two where the British forces are aligned with the Green Irish forces? I know that sounds like a really dumb question, but I ask because at the end of the Republican Move and Player Action/Move sections of the rules it states. “Combat will now occur in any Area where there are British and Irish units (green or blue) in the same Area, or…” To me that sounds like if there are British and Green Irish units in one area, they would fight each other. Is that right or am I misreading the rules?

Comments
• This game is both unique to me in terms of genre and its historic information. Not only by playing the game, but just through a reading of the rules, I felt like I learned a lot about the basic history of this era of Ireland. I found it interesting and enjoyable to learn along the way.

• I think the components and rules are very well done. I had (almost) no trouble following the rules and understanding what was taking place each turn. I really like the look of the counters and the use of color to represent the various “factions” of units in play.

• By having the game progress from the War of Independence into the Civil War and especially that transition of setup into the Civil War, I felt it gave a very fascinating look into how the landscape changed in Ireland between its two main opposing groups.

• The Event cards with real photos and historic comments really added to the feel and theme of the game for me.

• I really only have two minor negatives – there is a lot of setup for each half of the game. But I completely understand why and don’t feel it needs to change. To offer this style of simulation, a specific scenario needs to be in place to begin each one.

• There doesn’t seem to be a whole lot of strategy involved, but again, I believe I understand why…it’s just not that style of game. You’re looking to present a specific set of events with a (generally) predetermined outcome. This leads me to think that I’ll probably play the game a couple more times but may not return to it often. That being said, I don’t believe my time spent with the game will be wasted. It just has a specific purpose.

Okay, I’m sure you’re tired of reading my long, babbling reply at this point. Thanks again for bringing this subject matter to my attention with a well-organized and well-produced game. I look forward to giving it another go and hoping the outcome is more fruitful.

In case you’re curious, here are the maps at setup and endgame for each war:

War of Independence

Civil War

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kershaw
Ireland
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
WARGAME!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mo7189 wrote:
Hi, Dave. So I gave your game a try last night. Very cool! I’ll be honest – I do not consider myself a wargamer in the slightest (my only experience thus far is a few games of SE: 4X and T-AL), and generally, I don’t have any interest in a historic simulation style game. However, the unique subject matter of your game was both interesting and intriguing, and something about the components just grabbed my attention. So, first, kudos to you for bringing someone to your game that may not normally be interested in such things. And second, I really enjoyed my one play (so far).

Well, this was an excellent write up, and has given me so much to think about. I thank you so much for the effort you have put into this. Without people like you, it would be impossible to design games with any degree of confidence. And wargames are great - play more of them!

Quote:
The War of Independence ended in a Historical Irish Victory (2 pts) in Turn 7. The Civil War did not go as well with a Republican victory/British intervention. It was actually due to unfortunate die rolling on my part. Turns 9 and 10 had Republican Morale at 2. I rolled a 2 both times. cry Oh, well. I still enjoyed the play session.

I'm really not impressed with your playing!!! I usually get a bit better that that, and I didn't actually think it would be possible to lose. This does give me heart though that the game does have a bit of risk in it! Historically, the Irish had reached stalemate in the War of Independence and those in the know on the Irish side were quite aware that defeat was easily possible if Britain wanted to spend the effort. The civil war was more one-sided, but could have gone the other way if the Free State leaders had been less resolute, the British less forthcoming with arms, or some minor event could have thrown the politics completely off-kilter (like your rolling of two twos!)

Quote:
One more caveat before I go any further, I’m only one-fourth Irish and really know nothing about my family history regarding it. modest So, all of the information and history you provided is completely new to me.

That's one-fourth more than me... I just live here (20 years and counting), but my wife is 100% Irish (well, Northern Irish) and my kids are therefore 50% Irish. Or maybe it's 100% if you're born here. Who knows - it's somewhat irritating that people fight over this kind of crap!

Quote:
Anyway, I’ve got some comments and questions (mostly noob stuff, I’m sure) for you:

Questions
• Does Combat occur at the end of every Phase or only at the end of the Enemy Movement and the Player Action/Movement phases? After some Phases (like Events), there may be both Enemy and Player Units in the same Area. I wasn’t sure if I was to perform Combat then or not.

I think it should be every phase, and I will clarify this. In particular, cards (events) and the treaty phase can end in conflict situations, which really should be resolved.

Quote:
• In a related matter, at the end of the Enemy Movement and Player Action/Movement phases, do I perform Combat only in Areas with newly moved Units that Phase or in all Areas of the Map where both Enemy and Player Units conflict? Does that make sense? At the end of an Event or even after setup of the map, there may be Enemy/Player Units together. Will these fight even if there was no movement/action taken in that area?

Perform all movement first. That way, as player, you can get 2+ units into 1 enemy.

Quote:
• I think I got the War of Independence half of the game, but I was somewhat confused for the Civil War. Are there three sides all fighting each other? Or is there supposed to be two where the British forces are aligned with the Green Irish forces? I know that sounds like a really dumb question, but I ask because at the end of the Republican Move and Player Action/Move sections of the rules it states. “Combat will now occur in any Area where there are British and Irish units (green or blue) in the same Area, or…” To me that sounds like if there are British and Green Irish units in one area, they would fight each other. Is that right or am I misreading the rules?

The British were "neutral" in the civil war, in that they supported the Free State with arms, and defended Northern Ireland. So, not really neutral I suppose. They had plans to intervene, but demurred as they assumed it would give the Republicans too much of a moral victory. So, in the Civil war, you will only find conflict with the British in Ulster. In these cases, the British should resolve combat first, and they will fight both Irish combined - green and blue. Again, historically, the Irish forces in Northern Ireland were anti-treaty, and yet the Free State supplied them with arms (supplied to them, ironically, by the British). There was a tacit assumption that the Civil war was an interruption in the Campaign to free all of Ireland, whether, in the case of Northern Ireland, it wanted it or not.

Quote:
Comments
• This game is both unique to me in terms of genre and its historic information. Not only by playing the game, but just through a reading of the rules, I felt like I learned a lot about the basic history of this era of Ireland. I found it interesting and enjoyable to learn along the way.

It is not a well documented period of history. The British don't want to mention a defeat. The Irish spend far too much on the pointless 1916 rising and, also don't really want to mention a shameful civil war - on top of that, the losers of the Civil war after a brief period out of power, came back and, as the Fianna Fail party dominated politics for half a century. I have no proof, but I think that writing about the civil war would have been frowned upon by the powers that be. Your career could be at stake. Fianna Fail have had a lot of allegations against them, and whether true or not, it would certainly make one think twice.

The post-Civil-war period of Ireland is fascinating, and it is really only with the collapse of the Irish economy that the old ways have started to change. Essentially, Irish politics has been dominated until recently by the pro-Treaty Fianna Gael, and the anti-Treaty Fianna Fail. They really haven't finished the civil war with each other, and as a result the electorate have been badly served. Corruption and a blind-eye turned to scandal have been the order of business. Only a brief cheap-money bubble caused by the EU changed things (called the "Celtic tiger"), but its bursting in the recent recession has, thankfully, shaken things up.

Quote:
• I think the components and rules are very well done. I had (almost) no trouble following the rules and understanding what was taking place each turn. I really like the look of the counters and the use of color to represent the various “factions” of units in play.

I'll probably tone the colour down a bit. I think they're a bit bright. also, silhouettes for the a/cars and artillery.

Quote:
• By having the game progress from the War of Independence into the Civil War and especially that transition of setup into the Civil War, I felt it gave a very fascinating look into how the landscape changed in Ireland between its two main opposing groups.

Welcome to wargaming! This is what it is all about - history at your fingertips!

Quote:
• The Event cards with real photos and historic comments really added to the feel and theme of the game for me.

I'll have to check the licensing of those images - I'm pretty sure they're all public domain.

Quote:
• I really only have two minor negatives – there is a lot of setup for each half of the game. But I completely understand why and don’t feel it needs to change. To offer this style of simulation, a specific scenario needs to be in place to begin each one.

Heh - you should try some of the bigger wargames. Try 500+ counters...

Quote:
• There doesn’t seem to be a whole lot of strategy involved, but again, I believe I understand why…it’s just not that style of game. You’re looking to present a specific set of events with a (generally) predetermined outcome. This leads me to think that I’ll probably play the game a couple more times but may not return to it often. That being said, I don’t believe my time spent with the game will be wasted. It just has a specific purpose.

I think that there is more subtlety to it than I initially intended. In particular the balance between the playing of the War of Independence with half an eye on what is to come in the Civil War.

Quote:
Okay, I’m sure you’re tired of reading my long, babbling reply at this point. Thanks again for bringing this subject matter to my attention with a well-organized and well-produced game. I look forward to giving it another go and hoping the outcome is more fruitful.

I very much enjoyed your reply, and really look forward to another. Can you please post the images on the game page: Irish Freedom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo
United States
Downingtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Solitary Man
mbmbmbmbmb
kerpob2 wrote:
Well, this was an excellent write up, and has given me so much to think about. I thank you so much for the effort you have put into this. Without people like you, it would be impossible to design games with any degree of confidence. And wargames are great - play more of them!
Thanks! And you're welcome! And I plan to!

kerpob2 wrote:
I'm really not impressed with your playing!!! I usually get a bit better that that, and I didn't actually think it would be possible to lose.
Well, I did say I was a noob at this sort of thing. modest

Plus, based on your rules answers, I didn't totally play correctly. We'll see if that actually makes a difference though. whistle

kerpob2 wrote:
The British were "neutral" in the civil war....to free all of Ireland, whether, in the case of Northern Ireland, it wanted it or not.
kerpob2 wrote:
It is not a well documented period of history....Fianna Fail have had a lot of allegations against them, and whether true or not, it would certainly make one think twice.
kerpob2 wrote:
The post-Civil-war period of Ireland is fascinating....but its bursting in the recent recession has, thankfully, shaken things up.
Dropping some more history on me...I love it! Thanks. Seriously, it's very interesting.

kerpob2 wrote:
Heh - you should try some of the bigger wargames. Try 500+ counters...
You're not supposed to scare me off. laugh

kerpob2 wrote:
I think that there is more subtlety to it than I initially intended. In particular the balance between the playing of the War of Independence with half an eye on what is to come in the Civil War.
Yes, and I think that was the most interesting aspect of the game, that transition between the two wars. I hope to have a better handle on it the next time I try it out.

kerpob2 wrote:
I very much enjoyed your reply, and really look forward to another. Can you please post the images on the game page: Irish Freedom
I just submitted them. But if I had known that, I would have tried to take slightly better pics...although, they can only be so good with an iPhone camera, after all. meeple

I'll be sure to reply when I play again. Also, I commented on your game here. However, it was before I knew you created a game page for it. Sorry about that. I'll get it next time.

Mo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kershaw
Ireland
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
WARGAME!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My latest game. War of independence, historical victory for 2 points. Civil war, victory on Turn 4 with 5 points, total of 7 = Good victory!

End of war of independence (need more blue mobs) :

End of civil war :
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lucid
United States
Mountain House
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played it a few more times. My favorite strategy is to upgrade green units to flying column and get them in the bog and wait for a nice ambush.

Need more mobs, artillery, everything...I recommend printing 3 x counter sheets to start. That way you can populate a British graveyard to help with the accounting at the treaty phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo
United States
Downingtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Solitary Man
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Dave! Just wanted to give you a quick update as I’ve played this one again. I still found this game very enjoyable. I completed the War of Independence in Turn 6 with a “Good Irish Victory” and 3 vp. The Civil War ended successfully in surrender also in Turn 6 and 4 vp. Combined, I scored 7 vp which is listed as “The Wind that Shakes the Barley.” Very cool.

As I said, this game is not in my wheelhouse in terms of style, but I found it interesting, informative, and a pleasure to play. The most unique aspect to the game, IMO, is that transition between the Irish War of Independence and the Irish Civil War and how your result in the first affects the setup for the second.

Thanks for your hard work on this one. I'm glad I gave it a try. And I'll be looking into some of your other designs as well at some point.

Best of luck in the contest! I'll be following along.

Mo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kershaw
Ireland
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
WARGAME!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your kind words. You got same score as my last game. I think the rules are complete . I'm working on a historical commentary and design notes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Game printed and prepared and looking forward to playing. Reading rules now, but too late to play tonight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meg Kline
United States
Lawrenceville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brilliant! You may have achieved the impossible and found a game my mother will play... she just asked me to print two copies. (This is the woman who will not play Ticket to Ride or Haggis with me. Apparently a solo wargame is the very thing, however, as long as it's themed around our beloved Irish and Northern Irish history. We're a weird family, what can I say....) I'll post here once we've both got a few plays under our belt. Go raibh mile maith agat!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |