Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I'm searching for a good boardgame RPG which maybe steps into the trails
of the good old Talisman, it should also
- offer cooperative play (prefered for 2 players) and player vs player
- no dungeon master (e.g. Dungeon&Dragons is nice but needs a master)
- be playable with 2 players already (or even solo)

Please don't suggest Return of the Heroes and the sequel,I consider this game to be really broken.

So any good suggestions out there?

thanks
Abraxx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the king
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Sounds like your looking for Runebound

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Peterson
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest Mage Knight Dungeons, too. It is out of print, but there's usually quite a bit available on eBay....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Scutt
United Kingdom
Matlock
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
I've been trying to put together a co-op fantasy game for ten years now, on and off. Having gone through about eight complete revisions, the game is finally approaching what I wanted (a DM-less co-operative RPG card game), and I should be looking for playtesters in the next month or so... I posted this in another thread (on co-op fantasy games) a couple of weeks ago and already have a number of people signed up. Let me know if you're interested.
Cheers,
Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R S
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, sounds like Runebound is the game for you!

Fun, easy to play, great components and expansions that will keep the game fresh for years to come.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well thanks to all who have replied already, yes Runebound sounds like what I might be looking for so I'll have to check it out and also see what my wife thinks

cheers
Abraxx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael M
Sweden
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like Talisman you should try the Prophecy!

Runebound is OK, but it's not great..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Deagan
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Out of print, but still findable, is Minion Hunter. It's the boardgame for the Dark Conspiracy RGP by GDW. Post-apocalyptic rather than fantasty, but as an old Gamma Worlder, I prefer it :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hm I read about Prophecy before here on BGG but from what I saw on the gallery... I didn't liked the looks of the board. Doesn't look like there is much of exploration and traveling here, though of course I might be wrong, because I haven't tried it yet, but the board just doesn't look like it. I think travel and exploration can play an important part in a RPG boardgame, since it adds a certain "feel" to it.
Also another first glimpse impression is that the cards lying on the board take away already a lot of space of the whole board itself, its starting even to look more like a basis for card RPG game than a boardgame?! (!just a first impression!)

But since you mention it (and as mentioned in BGG) it is Talisman style, I'll give it another thought and look... hm

krgds
Abraxx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Munzing
United States
Piscataway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When Darkness Comes might also be an option. Horror themed and no GM required however I don't know how it would play with 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
World of Warcraft the boardgame has good character advancement, etc. It could be really good given the right expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I read WoW boardgame is not really suited for 2 players, am I right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds to me that Runebound is the best fit for all the things you're looking for. No GM needed. Has PvP. Is a fluid enough system that it's easy to expand. Has RPG-like character progression.

No one's mentioned Descent, which does have a GM-like Overlord, but in a much more competitive role than in a RPG. It plays well with just 2...my wife and I play, and we love it.

Dungeoneer is a fun game, but very light on the RPG elements. arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The root of all evil... but you can call me cookie.
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
It really is a super light game and if you can "try before you buy" would be my suggestion but look into Dungeon Twister. It's not a co-op game it is head to head but has the dungeon theme (which is wrapped around the game very well) and the characters all have their own special abilities. It's a pretty neat approach to a game and I enjoy it a good bit but it's not going to be for everyone so again if you can play it first, I suggest that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The part that will really stump you is wanting a game that's both playable cooperatively and competitively. Co-op games are pretty rare as is, and they don't generally also include competitive rules!

Arkham is great for a cooperative game; its not fantasy themed, but you get to build up a character, fight menaces, and race against time to defeat a terrible threat. Its the boardgame I've played that "feels" the most like an RPG experience (not that a boardgame can get very close). It plays best with 2 players in my opinion, and you can really vary how the game feels by playing with 1 character each or two characters each. 1 character gives a more frantic struggle of a game, 2 characters each lets you play with the abilities more. But, its a pure coop game, no "player vs. player" option.

Runebound is fairly Talisman-like in a lot of ways, and I believe people have come up with coop variants, but I'm not sure if any of them are any good - you may want to check the Runebound page for details. Its got several good points, but unfortuanetly its also rather slow moving and has some issues.

Dungeon Twister is an abstract strategy game with a dungeon theme. If you want a chess-like game with lots of analysis, its fine, but be aware that despite the theme its NOTHING like the other games being talked about here.

If you are into D&D, there is a product called Dungeon Bash that is supposed to be a random adventure game playable without a GM that uses the D&D 3.5 ruleset. I've never tried it, and info here on the geek is a bit scarce. Its web-purchased and is only around $10 I think, so one of these days I really should just go ahead and try it.

Quest Cards advertises coop play, but there are no rules for it...and its a pure luck game in any case. Not one I recommend bothering with.

Descent has done a very good job of making a dungeon crawl experience where you get the feeling of leveling and treasure finding all in one session...but it requires an "overlord" player and is a competitive game.

I haven't played WoW yet (getting it Friday), but its intended as team vs. team. It sounds very interesting, but not well suited to cooperative play.

When Darkness Comes is an exceedingly awkward system. Its written as a competitive game with a cooperative theme, which really doesn't work! Cool components, some cool ideas, but it just doesn't play well.

I certainly wish you luck in finding something good...this is a genre that my girlfriend and I keep searching for as well (though we don't mind if it has no pvp option, so that's a little easier )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to put in a word for World of Warcraft. I happen to love pseudo-RPGs, and I've played most of them and own several. World of Warcraft has the deepest character development of any such game, including Runebound, and that's not just an opinion. Every character in WoW has a deck of skills and abilities, and you could develop the same character differently in each game considering skills, abilities and items.

WoW is made for 2-6, and while it is competitive in the two player version, it could be adapted to a 2-player cooperative game quite easily. Here is a link to a Geeklist I made comparing Descent, Runebound and World of Warcraft. Hope this helps you in your decision! Also, you might consider the Dungeoneer packs. They don't have the best rules, but you can't find a cheaper, more portable Talisman-like game.

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listid=11...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well no DM is really a must, because we don't think 1 GM vs 1 player works well and is fun. Regarding PvP it is not a must. Even if a game like Talisman is not designed for cooperative player we don't really play against each other, if its just us two we take the fun out of the roleplay component laugh
I forgot to mention that we usually prefer a classic fantasy theme.
Basically from what I read here so far these could well be to our liking:
Runebound
Prophecy
World of Warcraft

So many thanks for your suggestions sor far.
cheers
Abraxx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bravey
United Kingdom
Stafford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Runebound a few times now and not noticed anything beyond a trace of cooperative play. The expansions may change this but, with 6 players, it's a 3+ hour set of individual dungeon crawls with long amounts of down time between each turn. With two players the down time will be much lower which would improve the whole experience and the large number of expansion packs can mean that the game will be different every time. If you play it with the right people it has its fun moments but I wouldn't recommend it for cooperative play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:

Actually, WoW is very easy to make co-op. In fact, I think most people tend to co-op a solo game when they first get it in order to learn the rules. (In fact I recomend you do this when you get it.)

Elaborate please...or maybe this should belong in a different thread. Is there an official variant or one posted here on BGG? Do you just play to try to defeat the big boss monster thing within the time limit or what?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd also add the Dungeoneer series to the list. Players kinda take the role of the Dungeon Master in turn, so everyone plays as hero and DM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Regarding PvP it is not a must. Even if a game like Talisman is not designed for cooperative player we don't really play against each other, if its just us two we take the fun out of the roleplay component laugh

So you are counting Talisman as a co-op? If so, runebound should be good for you. Its basically and advanced form of talisman, like RotH is. My only concern is that you felt RotH was broken - any reason why?

No, I think haven't made myself clear on this one
I don't consider Talisman to be coop, but since you don' have to fight against the other players till the end its still fun, BUT I would like to see a game similar to Talisman where you could CHOOSE wether to coop or not. From a ranking we prefer coop, followed by characters on its own without being forced to fight each other, last PvP but only as an option not forced
(just a side comment if we want a challenge we rather play a good cosim then, I'm in luck that my wife likes to play cosims with me as long as they don't take longer than a day . She doesn't want to fight me in RPGs laugh )

Considering the current 3 options I'm still undecided (read some of the BGG comments here on them) so here my pros and cons which weren't discussed yet in this thread:
Runebound,
- having to fight the big boss in the end with still high chances to loose is a bit unforgiving for a long playing session especially if I CAN'T coop.
- the traveling via special dices is a bit weird?!
+ lots of expansions and adventures could bring some nice changes so replayability seems the highest of these three RPG boardgames

Prophecy,
- as I mentioned already the board is not really the nicest around
- unfortunatley english versions are rare though I think I found one, but
no english expansions available due to poor advertising
+ some flaws of Talisman corrected though does it come with new ones...?
+ cheapest game here

WoW,
- though here is the much loved coop to be found it sounds a lot like pick up and deliver here only
- downtime even with 2 players seems to high
- expensive though the miniatures don't look that nice with these strong colours
+ coop possible!

So a all deciding question could be who of these 3 has more to it than just "pick up this and bring there"?

I'm likely to buy Prophecy anyway because I found a special discount (hehe lucky me), but I'm certainly only buying Runebound OR WoW....

cheers
Abraxx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.