Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Graber
United States
Louisville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On Page 7, under "Leadership After the Action Roll", the rules state that the Shadow player may assign additional leadership tokens to Shadow Armies during the Action Resolution step. Can any number of tokens be assigned during the use of a single Action die or must they be assigned one at a time?

On Page 16, "Advancing after a Combined Attack" is not clear. The statement "the attacker may advance into the now-empty Region with one of the attacking Armies" makes it sound like any of the attacking armies could advance, but the line after seems to contradict this: "It is not possible to advance Units from the other Armies involved in the battle". Which is true?

The example at the top left of page 15 appears to be incorrect. The last line reads "the Shadow player may choose to re-roll both Maneuver Dice as his Leader Re-roll to try to succeed in eliminating the Warg Riders." I wouldn't think that the Shadow player would be attempting to eliminate the Warg riders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Schwarz
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
GLOOOOOOOOOOOOOMHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVEN!!!!!!!!!!!
badge
maybe on the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one....
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are my takes on your questions:

page7 : Even though it doesn't specifically state this, I'd interpret the rules at this point so that you would place each single corresponding token onto the board before or after you resolve the action of the die, but you are right: a clarification to make this absolutely clear would be good.

the example on page15 was, what made me come back to this forum in the first place - I thought exactly the same thing there and I guess it must say: "activating the Warg Riders special ability" instead to make sense according to the rules stated above that example. The example also doesn't make it clear that you may also reroll only 1 Maneuver Dice or none in addition to rolling more Combat Dice instead, but this is also not explicitly forbidden, so this might not really be a point.

the rules on page16 are both correct. They mean that you can only advance with one army of your choosing that was involved in the combined attack, but you may not advance any units from other armies involved in the attack in addition to this.

The Note below this seems a bit queer to me, though: Here the rules say that if the last attacking Army is completely eliminated while eleminitating the enemy army as well, any "other" army involved in the attack may advance into the attacked territory, but the ruling above seems to indicate that you may always choose, which army of the involved to advance. The last attacking army wouldn't be important mentioning in this case.

And one more question: The text of Gothmog (which can be seen on page 2, and read if you zoom real close to the card) states that you can "use one character die result to place and flip one Recruitment token (or to place two Recruitment tokens) in West Osgiliath and Cair Andros."

Does this mean that I can place and flip one token/place two tokens in EACH of these regions or that I may place and flip/place two tokens in total there? And if the last is true, am I allowed to place both tokens into the same region?!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave de Vil
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
As I read it you can move in units from another attacking army only if the army conducting the succesful attack is eliminated. Either way, it's rather confusing as written.

I don't quite understand why attacking armies can never route, and always have the option of a "free" retreat. Surely battles are meant to take place on the borders between regions, so a defeated attacker is just as liable to route.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Coon
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
sgraber wrote:
On Page 7, under "Leadership After the Action Roll", the rules state that the Shadow player may assign additional leadership tokens to Shadow Armies during the Action Resolution step. Can any number of tokens be assigned during the use of a single Action die or must they be assigned one at a time?

Any number is the way we played during playtesting. As long as you understand that you are only placing the tokens you get from rolling Characters.

scrabber wrote:
On Page 16, "Advancing after a Combined Attack" is not clear. The statement "the attacker may advance into the now-empty Region with one of the attacking Armies" makes it sound like any of the attacking armies could advance, but the line after seems to contradict this: "It is not possible to advance Units from the other Armies involved in the battle". Which is true?

That simply means that you can't advance units from the other army involved. In other words, you may advance one or more units from one of the armies. The other army may not advance in part or in total.

scrabber wrote:
The example at the top left of page 15 appears to be incorrect. The last line reads "the Shadow player may choose to re-roll both Maneuver Dice as his Leader Re-roll to try to succeed in eliminating the Warg Riders." I wouldn't think that the Shadow player would be attempting to eliminate the Warg riders.

The wording in the final version of the playtest manual says, "Re-roll to try to succeed in Maneuvering the Warg Riders." So that if hit with these rolls you can apply the Maneuver. (That's why you choose the Maneuver dice first for the re-roll if they haven't succeeded.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sgraber wrote:

How it worked before was that before each action die, you could place any number of the extra tokens.

Quote:

It must mean activating the ability of the warg riders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neva Kee wrote:
And one more question: The text of Gothmog (which can be seen on page 2, and read if you zoom real close to the card) states that you can "use one character die result to place and flip one Recruitment token (or to place two Recruitment tokens) in West Osgiliath and Cair Andros."

Does this mean that I can place and flip one token/place two tokens in EACH of these regions or that I may place and flip/place two tokens in total there? And if the last is true, am I allowed to place both tokens into the same region?!?

Option 1: Place 2 recruitment tokens in each of West O. and Cair Andros.

Option 2: Place and then flip a token in each of West O. and Cair Andros.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Angry Martian wrote:
I don't quite understand why attacking armies can never route, and always have the option of a "free" retreat. Surely battles are meant to take place on the borders between regions, so a defeated attacker is just as liable to route.
In the main game, if the attacker's dice get fubar and he has to stop the attack, the "defender" is wont to counter-attack on the very next action die and send those precious Nazguls back to the mordor muster pool like blue ghosts in Pac Man. I'd imagine a similar dynamic emerges in the op-games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik Sievert
Sweden
Helsingborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrWeasely wrote:
Angry Martian wrote:
In the main game, if the attacker's dice get fubar and he has to stop the attack, the "defender" is wont to counter-attack on the very next action die and send those precious Nazguls back to the mordor muster pool like blue ghosts in Pac Man. I'd imagine a similar dynamic emerges in the op-games.

This was exacly my thought also. And it highligts something that is important in many strategic games. Actually both "successful" and failed attacks can leave the attacker with some weakness the defender can exploit. If he chooses not to exploit it that would be a mistake, and any good game leaves room for plenty of possible mistakes. So I like that a failed attack is not necessarily punished automatically by the rules. It's more fun (and frustrating) that the punishment is in tha hands of the opponent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.