Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
21 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: DS Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Spencer is turning 7. He enjoys his Gamecube and Gameboy SP, although he's not particularly talented at videoames.

For his seventh birthday, we have given him the option of either a party with his friends, or $200 cash. He wants the cash.

So, now he's looking to get a Nintendo DS, which some kids at school have.

On GameCube he likes the old arcade game collections, Hulk, Spiderman, Kirby's Air ride, some races (though he never wins), on Gameboy he likes Spongebob, Jimmy Neutron, Metroid, Castlevania.

What are the games that would be cool for him?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's see...

Kirby's Air Ride
Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow
Metroid Prime: Hunters(Coming out later this month)
Mario Kart DS


Those seem like pretty sure bets. There's other good games he might not like:

Phoenix Wright: Ace attorney requires a lot of reading. Monkey Island meets Law and Order.
Trauma Center might need too much hand-eye coordination for a 7-year-old
Animal Crossing/Nintendogs. Some people like those two, some don't. Read a few previews to see.
Advance Wars DS. The fighting is cartoony enough that few parents would be worried about it, but it requires more thinking that many kids would want to do.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
hibikir wrote:
The fighting is cartoony enough that few parents would be worried about it


He plays Diablo and Diablo2 with me, violence is not something we're worried about, as long as it isn't real-world, ala guns and humans.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
General DS recommendations...

Mario 64
Kirby: Canvas Curse
Wario Ware (might as well get Twisted, too, although it's GBA)
Ouendan (import-only, but GREAT)
Tetris (coming 3/20)
Mario Kart
Yoshi's Touch-n-Go
Trauma Center
Castlevania
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wario Ware is ridiculously addictive fun

Mario Kart DS is the best handheld Mario Kart ever


-MMM
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nasty McHaggis
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
I'm pouring all of my points in sarcasm.
badge
Box next to hand.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have kids that are 14, 10, 9 and 7.

The 10, 9 and 7 year old are all very much into Animal Crossing for the DS. In Animal Crossing, you get to create your own town, collect stuff to decorate your house, catch fish, plant trees, dig up neat fossils and collect bugs and donate them to the local museum.

Also, if his friends at school have Animal Crossing too, they can do the wireless connection thing and visit each other's towns, trade items, etc.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Mitchell
United Kingdom
Enfield
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
At 7 he might well be too young to enjoy Advance Wars DS, but buying it for him would give you an excuse to play it yourself. If he grows to like these games of ours, I'm sure he'll like Advance Wars too.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penny
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
AnakinOU wrote:
General DS recommendations...

Mario 64
Kirby: Canvas Curse
Wario Ware (might as well get Twisted, too, although it's GBA)
Ouendan (import-only, but GREAT)
Tetris (coming 3/20)
Mario Kart
Yoshi's Touch-n-Go
Trauma Center
Castlevania


I agree with this list. (never played yoshi, but i think they say it's too easy, go with kirby instead).

ALso add to the list is:

SOnic Rush (one of the best sonic games on a handheld)
Feel the magic
Feel the magic sequal :rub rabbit (these are mini games, very fun and additing, and they are more challenging than the warioware games, also better graphics too)
Super Princess Peach (it's a little girly, but if he likes old school mario gams, he will like this)
Meteos (puzzler)
Bust a move (a classic, and cheap)
ANimal Crossing!!
Puyo Pop

well i have just about all the DS games that are decent and good, so, you definitely have a lot of choices which are fun and original. Love my DS! Can't wait for the new Tetris!




 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul, you may already know this, but gamerdad.com is an excellent site for reviews and commentaries of all kinds of games. Its target audience is adults looking for information about kids games (that would be kids of all ages, of course ).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I found the controls for Super Mario 64 less than great, although the game is just sheer platforming excellence. For somebody in that age group I'd recommend Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time, especially in preference to the Princess Peach game, which uses the touch pad for no very good reason.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Animal Crossing will probably keep him busy for ages.

Super Mario 64 was too hard for me to control. It really needed the ananlog joystick.

A game that gets overlooked - Trauma Center: Under the Knife.
Where else can you perform surgery?

Don't forget about the whole library of GameBoy Advanced games! You can get all the old Mario games for that.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait, the DS is backwards compatible to earlier GB models?

I didn't know that.

Looks like his sister will get the hand me down...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penny
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
I found the controls for Super Mario 64 less than great, although the game is just sheer platforming excellence. For somebody in that age group I'd recommend Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time, especially in preference to the Princess Peach game, which uses the touch pad for no very good reason.


i prefer princess peach. i don't reallylike RPG games, it's too much talking, and princess peach is prettier! if someone does like RPG, then i guess M&L would bea good game, but people like me, princess peach is great! =)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Come on Kitty, the RPG element in Partners in Time is so minimal as to be almost non-existent. Some of us like a little story with our platforming, and I think Mario and Luigi mixed it up really well. That whole "pick Peach's emotion with the stylus" thing just bugs me (easily implemented with button presses, and if I ever read the instructions perhaps I'll learn that it is) and seems like a waste of the lower screen. But hey, I am the sort of person who never makes it all the way through most RPGs so don't listen to me.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yeah, not that any 7-year old probably cares too much, but Metroid Pinball is damned good, and the use of the GBA Cart slot for the rumble pack is nifty.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penny
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
Come on Kitty, the RPG element in Partners in Time is so minimal as to be almost non-existent. Some of us like a little story with our platforming, and I think Mario and Luigi mixed it up really well. That whole "pick Peach's emotion with the stylus" thing just bugs me (easily implemented with button presses, and if I ever read the instructions perhaps I'll learn that it is) and seems like a waste of the lower screen. But hey, I am the sort of person who never makes it all the way through most RPGs so don't listen to me.


i know, but for me, being a girl...princess peach has more appeal. i know M&L is not ALL RPG, but i played it, it didn't really grab my attention much. you are right peach doesn't use touch screen much, then again neither does castlevania, doesn't stop that from being on of the best games on a handheld. =)

ya 7 year old don't care, probably would be happy with some crappy game like elf bowling or something. =)
But I think just about everyone likes tetris. I wish they release it sooner...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Lee
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just in case you didn't know, Nintendo is releasing a new version of the DS. It's already out in Japan, and according to some local stores, it'll be available in Singapore early April. I think the States shouldn't be far behind after that.

Besides being available in different colours (I like Enamel Navy), the overall machine is quite a bit smaller than the original DS. The screens are also brighter, and allow for four levels of adjustment.

There's also an included dust cover for the GBA game slot, if you aren't using it, which is a useful addition.

Paul> The DS is compatible with all GBA games, but I haven't tried any of the older GB Colour games on it before. I probably don't want to try that out for myself though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jr
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Gmae Boy Color games don't fit.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penny
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kracken wrote:
Just in case you didn't know, Nintendo is releasing a new version of the DS. It's already out in Japan, and according to some local stores, it'll be available in Singapore early April. I think the States shouldn't be far behind after that.

Besides being available in different colours (I like Enamel Navy), the overall machine is quite a bit smaller than the original DS. The screens are also brighter, and allow for four levels of adjustment.

There's also an included dust cover for the GBA game slot, if you aren't using it, which is a useful addition.

Paul> The DS is compatible with all GBA games, but I haven't tried any of the older GB Colour games on it before. I probably don't want to try that out for myself though.


ya the new DS looks sweet. but of course I already have a DS, i am not going to spend more $ getting a new one. unless somehow i can sell my old one. =p
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
Avatar
mbmb
Once he's got Animal Crossing, if he likes it, he won't need much else for a while, I'd guess.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.