Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Within the last week, there have been a half dozen forum spammers that have come onto BGG for the express purpose of posting just for "adveritising" purposes, e.g. eBay auction listings and external unrelated websites.

So, what would be a good way to counter these? Whenever I've come across them, I've been reporting them to Aldie for deletion or banning, but is there a way we could nip these in the bud? In short, is there a way that we could make it more difficult for a forum spammer to post but not make it difficult (or overly difficult) for a new user to come to BGG and post a legitimate question?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Block Nigeria IP's... meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmb
One thing you could do is report them to another moderator. While Aldie's inbos is filled to the brim, other admins may be able tp respond faster. I try to delete spam wherever I see it.

There are also a couple of other perhaps surprising tricks we've discussed to deal with spammers, but it could be some time before they make it to the site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.