BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Suggestions for fun, happy 2-3 player card or board games! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
robyn olsen
United States
California
flag msg tools
I am hoping for any suggestions for fun games for 2-3 people that aren't too easy and don't get boring if played often. Hopefully good for about ages 12+. Card games, board games, etc. that are really funny; the more ridiculous the better. I am totally new to gaming so any suggestions welcome, thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Suggestions for fun, happy 2-3 player card or board game
Well, lately my group has gotten a lot of mileage out of Uno. We play a variant that my grandmother taught me. It is called Crazy Uno. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/95185
It would definitly meet your "ridiculous" requirement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
beachygirl wrote:
I am hoping for any suggestions for fun games for 2-3 people that aren't too easy and don't get boring if played often. Hopefully good for about ages 12+. Card games, board games, etc. that are really funny; the more ridiculous the better. I am totally new to gaming so any suggestions welcome, thank you!

INGENIOUS (board) is a fast-moving combination of Scrabble and dominoes where players lay tiles with colored symbols on them to make the longest lines of such symbols to score points. Usually takes perhaps 30-40 minutes per game.

MODERN ART (mostly cards) is a simple but very interesting auction game that's usually well under an hour to play, as is

FIST OF DRAGONSTONES (mostly cards), but this one involves fantasy creatures, each with their own special pwer; players need to win the "right" creatures to first earn Dragonstones, then exchange them for victory points.

POISON (cards) is a very simple card game with solid strategy; even though several "rounds" are palyed to make a full game, it'll still be over in under half an hour including rules explanations.

NEXUS OPS (board) is a cool science-fiction "wargame" that's also super easy to understand but with a lot of interesting strategy. It might take a whole hour.

SABOTEUR (cards) is an excellent simple game where players are dwarves trying to dig their way to veins of gold nuggets; cards represent tunnels being dug or hazards to the workers. Each round, there's a chance 1-2 someones is/are secretly Saboteur(s), out to foil everyone else. Another 30-40 minute game

BOHNANZA (cards) should be almost perfect - a simple game where players "grow" and trade crops of beans, trying to score the best by turning in large numbers of matching cards ("crops") at once. Maybe an hour for this one at most.

TRANSEUROPE/TRANSAMERICA (mostly board) is another super light game that might actually lern them young'uns some geography - not much, though. Each turn, players lay down train tracks trying to connect 5 specific cities on the board before others players can conect their 5 cities; this one plays fast enough that several rounds are played in a single sitting and it still will take less than half an hour including rules explanations.

TICKET TO RIDE/TICKET TO RIDE EUROPE (board) is a simple game similar yet different from the TRANSxxx games. Players still lay track and connect cities, but they have to collect cards that match the colors of the routes to claim them. It's solid fun and definitely very different from TRANSAMERICA/TRANSEUROPE. These are 40-90 minutes.

GUILLOTINE (cards) might be a little grim, but it's handled well - in this one, a large group of French nobles during the Revolutiuon have been lined up for..well, you know, and players are the...well, the executioners. They use various cards to position the nobles such that they get to chop off the heads of the ones worth the most points. The artwork is nice and cartoony, so it's really just the theme. This is another half hour tops.

A-MAZE-ING LABYRINTH (board) is a long-lived classic where players are wizards moving through a maze to reach various potion ingredients first; the trick is the maze is actually a grid of tiles that can and are moved by each player on each turn - so the maze is always changing with every move. A fun one, but this could go for an hour or a little more.

All of these should be easily explained in perhaps 5-10 minutes except FIST, which might take more like 10-12.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Guillotine, Can't Stop, Schildkroetenrennen, Warumono 2, Nodwick, and Nobody But Us Chickens (the last three require at least 3 players; the others can be played with 2 or more). Ubongo, Piranha, and Flix Mix are some others we find fun. All three play better with 3 players than with 2.

To me, almost any game gets boring if played too often, but I combat that by having a bunch of different games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDiceTower has a list of "Top 10 3 player games" that may be helpful:

http://www.thedicetower.com/dicetower/topten17.htm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nate ben-porat
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
well here are few games that i like with 2-3 players

lost cities (2 only)
camelot legends (might be too complex)
blokus (worset with 3)
nexus ops
carcassonne
through the desert (best by far with 3)
puerto rico (haven't played yet with 2-3 but heard great things about 2/3 puerto rico game)
masterpiece (fun only with 3+)
yahtzee (little boring but quick games for short time)
caylus (might be too heavy/long)
ingenious (fun)
ticket to ride

well that what i got now...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, you people have a strange idea for funny and ridiculous...

Click Advanced Search at the top of the page. Choose what appeals to you (HUMOR is a check box). I suggest maybe putting a 6 or 7 in minimum rating. And of course 2-3 in players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robyn olsen
United States
California
flag msg tools
Thank you all so much for the great suggestions, I appreciate it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Rollings
United Kingdom
Peterborough
Cambs
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kupferkessel is fantastic for two and there are rules for playing with three.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam VanRegenmorter
United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
tally ho- fun 2 player game with big luck component but easy to learn and play

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.