United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Bas-ket by Cadaco

Bas-Ket is a basketball dexterity game. It could also be considered a toy. Cadaco originally released Bas-Ket in 1938 and there is a recently released version I’ve seen in several classic toys catalogs.

My husband had this game when he was a kid and he had many fond memories of playing this with his dad. About the time he was in high school, his older sister borrowed it for a party at her house and it never came back. Many years later, along comes ebay and I was able to get a copy for him for Christmas. Now my hubby gets to play it with his son, so the tradition continues.

I tell you this, so that you realize that my review may not be the most objective.

When this game is set up, it attracts a lot of attention. The base of the box is the basketball court and there are two pieces of cardboard that are set upright into the ends of the box. These have the basketball hoops (with nets) and scoreboards to complete the court. The ball is a ping pong ball, ours is red.

The object is to make as many baskets as possible. The court has dimpled holes. When the ball is dropped on the court it will come to rest in one of these holes. Each hole has a spring-loaded lever attached to it. If the ball is in one of your holes, you pull the lever back, let it go and hopefully launch the ball into the net.

The only skill involved is getting the hang of how far back to pull the lever to get it into the basket. At first, many balls are launched amusingly over the back of the hoop and across the room. Of course, once you get the feel of the levers, almost every shot is a sure thing. After each shot, the players watch the ball roll about on the court to see whose hole it will wind up in and they shoot again.

You can make some house rules about points for the shots. We say that the hole farthest from the hoop is the three-pointer and that the free throw hole counts only for one.

The fun in this game is in seeing how many shots you can make in a row and chasing the balls that are launched out of the court around the room. A frisky cat helps add to the fun, if you have one available. I don’t believe they ever released an official cat expansion.

Bas-Ket is a cute, little mindless amusement. It’s fun to bring out and people are always interested in giving it a try. I wouldn’t say that it has a lot of replay-ability, but my son and hubby would disagree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Goguen
Canada
flag msg tools
I have to ask you if your the same person who uploaded a video of your husband on Christmas day opening up his gift & was overcome with emotion when he relized it was this very game you are reviewing? It was priceless to watch!! If it is or isn`t I`d like to share it with you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gettoQburPk&lc=sLnB4YLTFwZmLb...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
bizzarobrian wrote:
I have to ask you if your the same person who uploaded a video of your husband on Christmas day opening up his gift & was overcome with emotion when he relized it was this very game you are reviewing? It was priceless to watch!! If it is or isn`t I`d like to share it with you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gettoQburPk&lc=sLnB4YLTFwZmLb...

No, that wasn't us. But that is just wonderful! Thank you for sharing that! I just loved it, I'm embedding it below - definitely worth watching if anyone needs a smile! Very heartwarming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.