John Bintz
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Entry Thread for CRMA: The Battle for Colony ZXC123 - Contest Ready!

Designed for the 2013 Solitaire Print and Play Contest

BGG Game Link

Colony ZXC123 is being threatened by the Boss Squad, and it's up to you and your CRMA (Combat-Ready Mechanized Armor) to protect them! Roam the area around the colony, defeating deadly monsters and enemies, escaping deadly encounters, and confronting the deadly members of the Boss Squad in deadly single combat!

Having played about twenty times now, playtimes varies from between 2 minutes (horrible loss) to 20 minutes (incredible win), with most clocking in around 5-10 minutes for a loss. I seem to lose about 75% of the time, but I haven't been tracking that accurately.

I'm aiming for a roguelike game with 54 cards and 5 dice, where each card in the deck is essentially an encounter, you have your choice of which direction you want to go after each encounter, and each card has multiple uses:

* One of them will be you, with armor to take hits, fuel to travel and use special powers, generators to power weapons, and places to put more weapons, generators, and add-ons.
* On the back of each card are arrows uses to indicate armor level, fuel level, and, if rotated, to indicate you're being hacked, or are on fire. Two of these are used to denote your levels, and when you fight an enemy, two more are temporarily used for their levels.
* Cards can also be used as the spoils of encounters. A card can become a weapon, generator, or add-on, slid under the character's card in the right location to show you've powered up. This will, of course, remove certain enemies and encounters from the game.
* Weapons let you roll dice to blow up enemies. Generators let you run more weapons. Add-ons give you special powers, like fuel or armor regeneration.
* Traveling to other encounters takes fuel. If you spend more, you have your choice of which of the encounters cards you want to take on.
* There are enemies to fight, random encounters that may involve rolling dice or revealing cards, and bosses to deal with. Because you're pulling two stats indicator cards and a weapon card at the beginning of the game, the things you'll possibly encounter should vary a little bit between each play.

The idea is to build a fast paced, always different game, with just enough dice rolling to make it crazy.

Here's what it would look like with a decked-out CRMA fighting one of the bosses. Note the two extra cards for each opponent for handling the current vitals, and the weapons, generators, and add-ons tucked under the CRMA.

Instructions are available here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/15AKHdNnOEcA4KxlOdWLVZe1U...

PnP PDFs are here:

Fronts: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/29721574/crma/Merged.pdf

Backs:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/29721574/crma/card_backs...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] 2013 Solitaire PnP Contest: CRMA: The Battle for Colony ZXC123 [Idea]
Sounds complicated and awesome. I'm always a fan of cards that can be used in multiple ways.

How/When does the game end?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bintz
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:
Sounds complicated and awesome. I'm always a fan of cards that can be used in multiple ways.

How/When does the game end?

Right now I'm thinking if you either reveal three of the six bosses without fighting them, or if your armor goes to 0, you lose, but if you defeat three bosses, you win. The bosses you reveal and don't fight are out of play, so you can't go back and fight them later. That would make you want to use the multi-fuel moves so you can see what's ahead and not pick a boss, but then you use fuel faster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bintz
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I've added a PnP PDF and really rough instructions to the first post in the thread. The terminology is all over the place, I know. blush I'll clean that up this week and get some pictures of the actual cards in use soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bintz
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Re: [WIP] 2013 Solitaire PnP Contest: CRMA: The Battle for Colony ZXC123 [Initial Playtesting]
Haven't forgotten about this. Been balancing the various cards, doing lots of internal playtesting, and I need to make a pretty set of cards for the game soon. Work on another game has been taking up the majority of my time, but I'd like to have something more polished together for this game next week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] 2013 Solitaire PnP Contest: CRMA: The Battle for Colony ZXC123 [Initial Playtesting]
That's excellent news!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bintz
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
The first "nice looking" cards are done!

I've also tuned all of the enemies, bosses, and weapons to be a lot more balanced. There's still a chance you could die on your first destination, but that's half the fun! No, really...

Also, I implemented a very simplistic dicecard system for the cards, so that I could test the game in places where die rolling is near impossible. Just be sure to shuffle them a lot when you use them!

PnP PDFs and instructions are in the first post. I'm going to start tracking my plays on this Google Drive spreadsheet, when I remember to do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bintz
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I've been doing some heavy playtesting of one of the outlier players characters, Joe. He has a lot more armor than this counterparts, but is more likely to be hit by enemy attacks (a low To Hit score). Every time I played as him, I made it a lot less farther than with other players. So I needed to improve his ability to take a hit, or dish them out, without making him too overpowered.

I tried the following:

Letting him start with two weapons, or a weapon and an add-on. He got a little farther out, but higher level enemies still wiped the floor with him.

Giving him the ability to start things on fire (with, say, a flamethrower attachment) if he got two 6s when he hit an enemy. Fire burns an enemy's fuel, and if the fuel's out, does armor damage each combat round. Still not good enough.

For each generator he had, he could dial down one of his opponent's dice by 1 (say as an energy shield). This made him way too powerful. He breezed through two games and barely got touched.

I like the use of generators to manipulate enemy dice, but I need to balance that power, by either limiting generator dice adjustment to unused generator slots (if you have four generators, but only three weapon levels installed, you can do the adjustment on one die) or by having you not use particular weapons the round after the adjustment. I'll try out both and see what works best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bintz
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
After some experimentation, using unused generators as shielding (post-enemy roll die adjustment) provides two things: A slightly longer life against tougher opponents, as well as an extra decision for players to make: do I pile on weapons, hoping I can blow my enemies away before they blow me away, or do I underpower my offense, so that I can take some extra hits? So far, that's working out pretty well.

I think Joe might need an extra boost to this (I'm thinking -2 to one die per unpowered generator as opposed to -1 for other players), and I'm going to increase the max # of generators that can be installed to 6, so that you can still arm some powerful weapons if you want while still running some shields. I think with this change, Joe will be pretty well tuned for battle, and it'll be on to the other outlier, Dr. Awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bintz
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Here's some of the new cards in action. Joe is fighting a Battle Scorpion, with a big dice rollin' weapon installed (3d6) and an extra generator to sop up some damage. I also have three items in my inventory, but I've since limited inventory to two items.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bintz
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Updated card fronts PDF: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/29721574/crma/Merged.pdf

Updated instructions, including how to use unused generators as shields: https://docs.google.com/document/d/15AKHdNnOEcA4KxlOdWLVZe1U...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And I just downloaded the original.

But I hadn't printed them yet, so no big deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
John,

I printed everything out tonight. Only played one game and I have a few questions before I play again.

d10-1 I assume the level of each opponent is the large number to the left of the card type and enemy name? So the Light Cruiser is level 3 and the Scout Team is level 1?

d10-2 The combat rules direct each combatant to roll for initiative. "Roll 1 die and add that opponent's level, plus any other initiative bonuses. The highest value goes first." Shouldn't it read, "Roll 1 die and add that combatant's level...?"

d10-3 What is the level of each player card? I believe each player needs a level based on the initiative determination rule, see d10-2. None of the player cards have initiative printed on them, that I can tell.

d10-4 The third box from the top on enemy cards tells the player to gain certain items. I assume these are only gained upon destruction of the enemy. Didn't see this in the rules, though I could be wrong.

d10-5 Some cards state to gain "1 Weapon", while others state to gain "1 Revealed Weapon". Does this difference denote a difference in play, or do both terms mean the same thing?

d10-6 For my first Destination Selection phase, I know that I use the routes on my player card to determine my first route draw/destination. After I complete Adventure Card Resolution, what card do I use to determine the next Destination Selection? I assume I would use the routes on the top card of the Adventure Pile, which is usually the destination I most recently selected and traveled to. What happens if I draw a Boss that I either ran from or defeated since they go into separate piles? Do I use that card even though it is not on top of the Adventure Pile?

d10-7 Reshuffling and game end triggers. Correct me if I'm wrong.

A Reshuffle the discard pile when the draw pile is exhausted or when an event card necessitates. Do not ever reshuffle the Adventure Pile cards, the defeated boss deck, or the boss skip deck back into the reshuffle.

B If the Boss Skip deck is less than 3 and the Boss Defeated Deck is less than 2, the discard deck is reshuffled when the draw pile is exhausted.

C If the draw deck runs out and the Defeated Boss deck has 2 bosses, the player wins.

D Does the player win if an event forces the draw deck to exhaust and the Defeated Boss deck has 2 bosses?

I'll be happy to play some more if you can answer those questions. Apologies if the answers are present in the rules and I missed them.

Ryan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bintz
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Ryanmobile wrote:

I printed everything out tonight. Only played one game and I have a few questions before I play again.

d10-1 I assume the level of each opponent is the large number to the left of the card type and enemy name? So the Light Cruiser is level 3 and the Scout Team is level 1?

Right.

Ryanmobile wrote:
d10-2 The combat rules direct each combatant to roll for initiative. "Roll 1 die and add that opponent's level, plus any other initiative bonuses. The highest value goes first." Shouldn't it read, "Roll 1 die and add that combatant's level...?"

Yes it should.

Ryanmobile wrote:
d10-3 What is the level of each player card? I believe each player needs a level based on the initiative determination rule, see d10-2. None of the player cards have initiative printed on them, that I can tell.

Whoops, missed that part. A player's level is the same as their weapon level, so having two level 1 weapons installed makes the player level 2.

Ryanmobile wrote:
d10-4 The third box from the top on enemy cards tells the player to gain certain items. I assume these are only gained upon destruction of the enemy. Didn't see this in the rules, though I could be wrong.

Yeah. I should make the clear, even though it'd be impossible to gain the weapons if you get blown up.

Ryanmobile wrote:
d10-5 Some cards state to gain "1 Weapon", while others state to gain "1 Revealed Weapon". Does this difference denote a difference in play, or do both terms mean the same thing?

They mean the same thing. I uploaded a new PDF with that wording all fixed, but for the cards you've already printed out, just assume it always means Gain Revealed whatever.

Ryanmobile wrote:
d10-6 For my first Destination Selection phase, I know that I use the routes on my player card to determine my first route draw/destination. After I complete Adventure Card Resolution, what card do I use to determine the next Destination Selection? I assume I would use the routes on the top card of the Adventure Pile, which is usually the destination I most recently selected and traveled to. What happens if I draw a Boss that I either ran from or defeated since they go into separate piles? Do I use that card even though it is not on top of the Adventure Pile?

That part was never written clearly, so I totally rewrote it. Basically, whatever the last card you pulled from the deck and resolved during a turn is the one you use for destination selection.

Ryanmobile wrote:
d10-7 Reshuffling and game end triggers. Correct me if I'm wrong.

A Reshuffle the discard pile when the draw pile is exhausted or when an event card necessitates. Do not ever reshuffle the Adventure Pile cards, the defeated boss deck, or the boss skip deck back into the reshuffle.

B If the Boss Skip deck is less than 3 and the Boss Defeated Deck is less than 2, the discard deck is reshuffled when the draw pile is exhausted.

C If the draw deck runs out and the Defeated Boss deck has 2 bosses, the player wins.

D Does the player win if an event forces the draw deck to exhaust and the Defeated Boss deck has 2 bosses?

All of those are correct. I've moved the Two Defeated Boss check out of the Boss card handling part of the instructions, so it now catches that possibility.

Ryanmobile wrote:
I'll be happy to play some more if you can answer those questions. Apologies if the answers are present in the rules and I missed them.

Nah, I'm just bad at rules writing. I really appreciate you trying it out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
John,

I played 2 more games tonight. Here is a brief summary of each.

Game 1 I used Dr. Awesome. I defeated a Scout Team on turn 1. On Turn 2 I choose to travel to the Battle Buffalo over the Tank Squad. The Battle Buffalo defeated me. Very quick game. Forgot that I could retreat from an enemy that is of a higher level than me.

Game 2 I used Dr. Awesome. This was a long game and lasted 15 turns. I defeated 2x Scouts, Battle Buffalo, Heavy Tank, and a Hover Scout. I was defeated by the Striker Boss and had run from one other boss the 1st turn.

Here are some thoughts, questions, and a suggestion based on these two games:

d10-1 In the rules combine the two bullet items that describe the use of the Scanner and that Dr. Awesome can't use it. I missed it after I drew the Scanner add-on and read the Scanner bullet since they were in separate places.

d10-2 What happens if you run out of fuel? Do you lose? I assume so since you can't travel to another location. If running out of fuel is a game ender, when does the loss take place? I think a player should be able to travel to a location, run out of fuel, and be able to resolve the location on the chance a successful outcome nets the player more fuel. What happens if an enemy reduces your fuel to zero during combat yet you succeed in vanquishing the enemy without drawing a fuel bonus? Note: I really like to use fuel to have more location selection options. I think it's a big advantage and moderates some of the randomness and bad luck draws.

d10-3 I know that if I run from a Boss he goes to the Skip deck. What do I do with a regular enemy that I run from? Does he go to the discard pile or the adventure pile?

d10-4 I haven't read all the cards. When I get to draw a generator, does that mean I get to keep a card with 1 or 2 generators? Or do I literally only draw a card with one generator, skipping over cards with two generators? Are there cards that specifically allow the player to search for and draw a card with two generators?

d10-5 It looks like all the player cards have the same benefit when selected as locations. Draw 3 armor and 3 fuel. Some have locations with a 1,1 value. Others have locations with a 1,2 value. Is there any reason for the difference? From a difficulty perspective, you could make things harder by making them all consistent and changing them to a location value of 1,1. It seems that having the option to draw 2 cards at the cost of 2 fuel is a big advantage. Or you could decrease the amount of armor or fuel gained by traveling to a player card location with a value of 1,2. Does that suggestion make sense?

d10-6 I appreciate that cards are used for fuel and armor markers for enemies and the player card. It adds uncertainty and increases the overall fog of war. But realistically it is hard to play without jostling the marker cards, especially when adding or removing items from the player card. I'm not suggesting you change this mechanism. Maybe there's a slightly different way to do it to reduce the potential for error. I take note of each value before switching cards because I know they'll get jostled. I'm dealing with it but I can see some players having a hard time with it.

d10-7 If I discard an item to change the value of any two dice, am I limited to doing this on just my attack or may I use this tactic as a defense during an enemy's attack? From the rules as written I'd say for attack only. I think it may add some extra decisions to the game if this power could be used for defense as well.

d10-8 Instead of randomly drawing a level 1 weapon at game start, what about allowing the player to select a weapon of choice at level 1 or 2 at a cost? Maybe allow the player to draw a set number of random weapon cards. Each positive value such as 2d6 vs. 1d6, or a rotate, reroll, or adjustment bonus costing the player a certain amount of fuel and armor at game start? The decision might add an extra layer to the beginning of the game. Do I stay safe and draw a random level 1 weapon at game start, keeping my fuel and armor at 100%? Or do a gamble and draw X cards, perhaps having to pay for something that isn't ideal? Maybe the decision to gamble on a random draw costs something as well, in addition to any weapon selected?

That's it for now. I'll try to get back to you with more thoughts after I play again. Never mind, here are a couple more:

d10-9 When the rules state, "Enemies and Bosses always spend as much fuel as necessary to get as many successes as possible each turn," do you mean that an enemy will keep spending fuel on rerolls until it gets a hit? Or are enemies, and the player, allowed to spend fuel only once per combat round? If the Boss Striker has 14 fuel and can reroll a die, can he conceivable reroll that die up to 14 times (I know, unlikely) in one combat round until he gets one hit?

d10-1d10-0 While the player Dr. Awesome may apply enemy hits as advantageously as possible to his mech, while deciding on enemy rerolls and flips, he must make the best decision possible for the enemy card? In other words, if an enemy rolls 2d6 with one flip and rolls a 1 & 6, the die should always be flipped from a 1 to a 6 and not flipped from a 6 to a 1. I think it would be ridiculous to give the player such an advantage, I just want to check since it doesn't seem to be explicit to me in the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
missed this one somehow. will catch up on the thread tomorrow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bintz
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hi, Ryan!

Ryanmobile wrote:
Game 1 I used Dr. Awesome. I defeated a Scout Team on turn 1. On Turn 2 I choose to travel to the Battle Buffalo over the Tank Squad. The Battle Buffalo defeated me. Very quick game. Forgot that I could retreat from an enemy that is of a higher level than me.

Game 2 I used Dr. Awesome. This was a long game and lasted 15 turns. I defeated 2x Scouts, Battle Buffalo, Heavy Tank, and a Hover Scout. I was defeated by the Striker Boss and had run from one other boss the 1st turn.

Here are some thoughts, questions, and a suggestion based on these two games:

d10-1 In the rules combine the two bullet items that describe the use of the Scanner and that Dr. Awesome can't use it. I missed it after I drew the Scanner add-on and read the Scanner bullet since they were in separate places.

Thanks, I totally missed that. blush

Ryanmobile wrote:
d10-2 What happens if you run out of fuel? Do you lose? I assume so since you can't travel to another location. If running out of fuel is a game ender, when does the loss take place? I think a player should be able to travel to a location, run out of fuel, and be able to resolve the location on the chance a successful outcome nets the player more fuel. What happens if an enemy reduces your fuel to zero during combat yet you succeed in vanquishing the enemy without drawing a fuel bonus? Note: I really like to use fuel to have more location selection options. I think it's a big advantage and moderates some of the randomness and bad luck draws.

The game would end. It should happen right before Destination Selection begins, so that you do get a chance to get more fuel from the enemy. I'll think about being able to burn more fuel for more choices.

Ryanmobile wrote:
d10-3 I know that if I run from a Boss he goes to the Skip deck. What do I do with a regular enemy that I run from? Does he go to the discard pile or the adventure pile?

Adventure.

Ryanmobile wrote:
d10-4 I haven't read all the cards. When I get to draw a generator, does that mean I get to keep a card with 1 or 2 generators? Or do I literally only draw a card with one generator, skipping over cards with two generators? Are there cards that specifically allow the player to search for and draw a card with two generators?

Any card with a Generator will count, whether it has one or two.

Ryanmobile wrote:
d10-5 It looks like all the player cards have the same benefit when selected as locations. Draw 3 armor and 3 fuel. Some have locations with a 1,1 value. Others have locations with a 1,2 value. Is there any reason for the difference? From a difficulty perspective, you could make things harder by making them all consistent and changing them to a location value of 1,1. It seems that having the option to draw 2 cards at the cost of 2 fuel is a big advantage. Or you could decrease the amount of armor or fuel gained by traveling to a player card location with a value of 1,2. Does that suggestion make sense?

Right now those destinations are pretty randomly applied. I'll think about changing that up a bit.

Ryanmobile wrote:
d10-6 I appreciate that cards are used for fuel and armor markers for enemies and the player card. It adds uncertainty and increases the overall fog of war. But realistically it is hard to play without jostling the marker cards, especially when adding or removing items from the player card. I'm not suggesting you change this mechanism. Maybe there's a slightly different way to do it to reduce the potential for error. I take note of each value before switching cards because I know they'll get jostled. I'm dealing with it but I can see some players having a hard time with it.

I guess if someone had some cubes they could use those instead. Maybe there could also be meters on the backs of cards you could use if you, again, had cubes.

Ryanmobile wrote:
d10-7 If I discard an item to change the value of any two dice, am I limited to doing this on just my attack or may I use this tactic as a defense during an enemy's attack? From the rules as written I'd say for attack only. I think it may add some extra decisions to the game if this power could be used for defense as well.

Yeah, it can be used for defense as well, so you could knock down an opponent's roll too, and do it before you're set on fire or hacked.

Ryanmobile wrote:
d10-8 Instead of randomly drawing a level 1 weapon at game start, what about allowing the player to select a weapon of choice at level 1 or 2 at a cost? Maybe allow the player to draw a set number of random weapon cards. Each positive value such as 2d6 vs. 1d6, or a rotate, reroll, or adjustment bonus costing the player a certain amount of fuel and armor at game start? The decision might add an extra layer to the beginning of the game. Do I stay safe and draw a random level 1 weapon at game start, keeping my fuel and armor at 100%? Or do a gamble and draw X cards, perhaps having to pay for something that isn't ideal? Maybe the decision to gamble on a random draw costs something as well, in addition to any weapon selected?

I'll ponder this as well.

Ryanmobile wrote:
d10-9 When the rules state, "Enemies and Bosses always spend as much fuel as necessary to get as many successes as possible each turn," do you mean that an enemy will keep spending fuel on rerolls until it gets a hit? Or are enemies, and the player, allowed to spend fuel only once per combat round? If the Boss Striker has 14 fuel and can reroll a die, can he conceivable reroll that die up to 14 times (I know, unlikely) in one combat round until he gets one hit?

The adjustments are only once per turn, and you can only spend the fuel once per adjustment. I cleared that up.

Ryanmobile wrote:
d10-1d10-0 While the player Dr. Awesome may apply enemy hits as advantageously as possible to his mech, while deciding on enemy rerolls and flips, he must make the best decision possible for the enemy card? In other words, if an enemy rolls 2d6 with one flip and rolls a 1 & 6, the die should always be flipped from a 1 to a 6 and not flipped from a 6 to a 1. I think it would be ridiculous to give the player such an advantage, I just want to check since it doesn't seem to be explicit to me in the rules.

Yeah, enemies will always adjust their dice to do the most damage.

I've updated all the rules with what you've found. Thanks again for taking it for a spin. Despite the rules issues, I hope you've enjoying it so far!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
johnbintz wrote:
Ryanmobile wrote:

The game would end. It should happen right before Destination Selection begins, so that you do get a chance to get more fuel from the enemy. I'll think about being able to burn more fuel for more choices.

Let me clarify my last statement above about fuel choices. I meant to say that I prefer to spend the fuel to select a destination that requires 2 fuel and nets me 2 locations to select from. So far I don't like to go with a single card location, even at the expense of only 1 fuel. That's my preferred tactic for traveling based on your current rules. I appreciate choice in solitaire games, and I think it helps moderate excessive randomness.

I wasn't asking you to consider changing anything!

johnbintz wrote:
Ryanmobile wrote:

I guess if someone had some cubes they could use those instead. Maybe there could also be meters on the backs of cards you could use if you, again, had cubes.

I may try with cubes the next time. If I do, I'll still draw my 2 "marker" cards after selecting my player card.

johnbintz wrote:
Ryanmobile wrote:

Yeah, it can be used for defense as well, so you could knock down an opponent's roll too, and do it before you're set on fire or hacked.

Awesome!

johnbintz wrote:

I've updated all the rules with what you've found. Thanks again for taking it for a spin. Despite the rules issues, I hope you've enjoying it so far!

I've enjoyed playing so far and I'll keep squeezing a game or two in as I have time. Thanks for being responsive to my feedback. I'm glad to see that you're passionate about your game. No worries about the rules. They were good enough to get me going. It's been a fun little game and I hope to continue to see it develop.

I've always been on the lookout for an affordable mechwarrior type game, especially one that played solitaire. I used to toss around ideas about developing one that took place on a hex map but never got to actually putting my ideas on paper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bintz
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Ryanmobile wrote:

Let me clarify my last statement above about fuel choices. I meant to say that I prefer to spend the fuel to select a destination that requires 2 fuel and nets me 2 locations to select from. So far I don't like to go with a single card location, even at the expense of only 1 fuel. That's my preferred tactic for traveling based on your current rules. I appreciate choice in solitaire games, and I think it helps moderate excessive randomness.

I wasn't asking you to consider changing anything!

Oh yeah, traveling to a farther location is always ideal, but I've had games where fuel gets kind of tight, or where I've had a fuel-based weapon, so choosing a 1 becomes more likely. That becomes much less of a problem if you can get the Jet add-on, which always gives you an additional location card to choose from, or if you get Solar and can regenerate fuel.

I've got a busy two weeks ahead of me, then I'll have some time to really polish up CRMA before the contest ends. I'm still pondering a few suggestions you've made, and I'll try a few out once I get un-busy. If you have any more observations or suggestions, just let me know!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bintz
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I updated the look of the fronts of the cards:

Going to mess with creating some simple art for the card types this weekend.

Download the latest fronts PDF: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/29721574/crma/Merged.pdf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bintz
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Ryanmobile wrote:

d10-8 Instead of randomly drawing a level 1 weapon at game start, what about allowing the player to select a weapon of choice at level 1 or 2 at a cost? Maybe allow the player to draw a set number of random weapon cards.

I tried out a variation on this, where if you want to draw a different level 1 weapon (hopefully to get something better), you can spend 3 fuel to search for a new level 1 weapon at the beginning of the game. It allowed Joe to get a 1d6+1 instead of a 1d6, but I was still stuck fighting a Battle Rex as I had run out of fuel. I think it may work, but it still needs a bit of testing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bintz
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
OK, I played a few more games of this with the updated cards. I almost managed to win one as Zxc'vbnm, who was pretty decked out, but just got outclassed by the boss Crusher. During that game, I was also nearly out of fuel the entire run, despite having the Solar add-on. I'm definitely not going to spend any more time tweaking this one, so I'm throwin' it out there. Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoping to get a game in this weekend. Actually, if I print it today, I might have time tomorrow afternoon... Hm...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bintz
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I wrote up a postmortem about the design process I went through, and the lessons learned along the way, for this game on my blog. A lot of it boiled down to simply getting better at all the game design-y and game development bits, and having more eyes on the rules (and maybe a better way of writing them as I go, too).

http://johnbintz.com/blog/2013/10/05/crma-the-battle-for-col...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |