Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patha
United States
Bay area
California
flag msg tools
mb
Ok... have heard too many good things about Carcassonne, so i decided to see what all the hype is about by getting it! Little did i know that there are like 10 different ones!! So which one should i start with, and do the others act as "add-ons" to the original??

By the way, Carcassonne refers to the ville Francaise, right??!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
The original, basic game* is a great place to start, and the one with the most potential variety, because of the many expansions available.

Be sure to use the updated farmer scoring rules!#

*http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/822
#http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/828560#828560

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers is the best place to start. It's a complete game, doesn't require any expansions, is easy to learn and lots of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Many answers lie in this thread:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/101545

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Wankel engine
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I think you may have the only 9 rating for Connect Four. I've only played the base game and Discovery, I like both. In your case, I'd suggest Discovery as the scoring is a little simpler.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patha
United States
Bay area
California
flag msg tools
mb
ed95005 wrote:
Wow, I think you may have the only 9 rating for Connect Four. I've only played the base game and Discovery, I like both. In your case, I'd suggest Discovery as the scoring is a little simpler.

hahahaha... allow me to explain... the rating is based more on nostalgia than actual "playability"... perhaps there should be a separate scoring column for "nostalgia factor"!! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Start with the Count of Carcassonne

In seriousness get the original then Inns and Cathedrals quick-smart.
That's all you need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
you will receive a million answers to this one.

i would have said hunters and gatherers a couple months ago, but the castle (2 player only!) has completely obsoleted it for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LC
United States
Florissant
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Definately "Ark of the Covenant". Far superior to ALL other versions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I highly recommend starting out with the original Carcassonne, NOT any of the other standalones (such as Hunters & Gatherers, City, Castle, or Discovery). I'm not going into detail about why I think the original is far superior to the others here, but if you look at some past threads on Carcassonne I've made my reasons relatively clear, plus I distinguish between the different versions in my rating comments in my profile. You should check out some past threads, such as:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/102235

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/101545

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/101325

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/92454

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/90792

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hinsz
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think to start with the base game (Blue box, no expansions) is the way to go. In terms of simplicity it almost matches H&G in my opinion. The benefit you have over getting H&G is that IF you find that you love the game and IF you're in the mood for it, you could buy expansions and try them out.

If you buy H&G then there's (currently) little to no expansion options. I know that many people feel that expansions kill the fun of basic Carc, but you should give yourself the flexibility to make that decision on your own.

The major detraction I've heard about classic Carc is the farmer scoring. Personally I don't think ANY of the options are bad so long as everyone knows what rule you're using when the game starts.

So I recommend you get basic Carc and try it. Then if you like it you can read some of the different expansion rules here and decide if any of them sound like something that would interest you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Tholén
Sweden
Norsborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only know basic Carc with expansions and H&G. Of those I'd definitely say go for basic Carc. They're definitley alike anough so you'd never want to have both of them. And Carc has lots of advantages over H&G. The biggest difference is the farmers (Carc) vs. the hunters (H&G), of which the farmers offer quite complex play with where to place them, and to make sure there are more cities around them ans stuff, and the hunters offer quite childish animal counting. (I'd recomend using the older rules for farmer scoring.)

Also of course carc offers a gazillion expansions (if you're into those sorts of things), while H&G only had the Scout, an expansion of five tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Czech Mate
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I started with the basic (blue box with River I expansion included) game of Carcassonne. Then (within a week of playing my first game) I bought the Inns&Cathedrals expansion as well as the Traders&Builders expansion. After integrating the expansions in one at a time (progressively), we now play with all 3 together.

I realized that even though we have the tiles from all expansions in, we don't have to play all the expansion rules. Does that make sense? What I'm trying to say is, I think the basic Carcassonne with the three standard expansions (River I, I&C, T&B) is very practical, very fun, and very flexible.

I recommend getting your feet wet with the basic blue box version.

mikey.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i just think the game isn't very good without the much more open tile placement rules from the castle (which i understand are also present in the city). without it, the game feels like you're placing a tile in one of a few legal places, and then possibly making a meeple placement decision. with the placement options so blown open when nothing but the roads have to line up, i think it makes the game much better because you have tons of real decisions to make with placement (and lots of blocking/merging options).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turner
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hunters and Gatherers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest you start with the original Carcassone game. The original game comes with "The River" expansion now.

I picked up Carcassonne about a month ago. It's my first euro-game as well as my first tile laying game. It’s a fun game in and of itself, so start with that first, then if you like it pick up the add-ons later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Start with the original blue boxed version (with the river tiles although I do not recommend).

I'd add inns and cathethedrals right from the start. The cathedrals and big meeples add just enough interactive elements to make the game interesting without complicating things too much. The additional concepts from inns and cathedrals also work well with the original concepts and its not too hard to grasp them all at once.

Frankly I see the original set (minus the river) and inns and cathedrals as the "basic" game.

If your getting bored try the river or better yet add traders and builders.

I think the other expansions are definately optional and the level of complexity they bring starts to confuse new players. The later expansions, the count, princess and the dragon also add a large degree of randomness and the ability to screw with peoples placed meeples which I think runs a bit contrary to the original gameplay.

A game will all the sets also takes a very long time!

A lot of people swear by hunters and gatherers but I just can't get into it. Funny, because it really is very close to original carcasonne.

Either farm rule is fine provided everyone agrees to it at the start. In particular inns and cathedrals and traders and builders contribute enough city pieces (and the cathedrals) to the mix that you seem to end up with fewer, larger cities which pushs the scoring more in favour of knights than from farmers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Vriese
United States
Newberg
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldaron wrote:
...Be sure to use the updated farmer scoring rules!...

Why? What's wrong with the original rule which, if I understand it correctly, is still maintained in the US game rules? But then again, the standard measurement system is also pretty much exclusively maintained in the US (and Liberia) while the rest of the world has adopted the metric system. Not that there's anything wrong with that!

Doei!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne: the City is the most balanced and the most elegant.

It is a little more expensive, but you don't need any expansions so it evens out in the long run.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Surya Van Lierde is pure Eurosnoot and proud of it!
Belgium
Michelbeke
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldaron wrote:
The original, basic game* is a great place to start, and the one with the most potential variety, because of the many expansions available.

Gotta agree with thisone...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.