Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I've got a couple of games under my belt that I play with friends and family (one is too in-jokey to take any further while the second one is possibley marketable but needs some complicated maths simplified!)

Anyway I had an idea of a gane based around farming in seventeenth and eighteenth century England with the development of enclosure, seed drill, crop rotation and the corn laws.

Basically each player would start with a few separate fields outside of a town that they can grow one of four crops, keep cattle or leave fallow. Each can give an income to sell at market days but the farmers must also feed themselves and hire other workers to bring in the harvest.

To start with fields will need to be left fallow every few turns but when enclosure can be developed (allowing fields together to be fenced into one big field to increase productivity), seed drill developed (again to bring an increase), crop rotation (cancelling out needing to leave land fallow) larger more productive fields can be developed.

Much more thinking to be done of course but just wondering if the subject matter would provoke any interest at all (there will be some exciting corn law riots and industrial revolution issues to deal with) because it bored me when I studied it at school but has become more interesting as I got older.

I thought it could create a really 'pleasant' gaming environment but also allow cut-throat business!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
HamsterOfFury wrote:
I thought it could create a really 'pleasant' gaming environment but also allow cut-throat business!

Or maybe the word is 'peasant'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any games involving peasants surely has to be a winner...right? Right? arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nairb Attobas
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HamsterOfFury wrote:

So it would seem, since the vast majority of boardgames seem to take place in Old Timey Europe.

I personally wouldn't mind seeing your game set in another time period, or with a slightly different theme in general. Why not do something completely new, original, and whacked out?

My suggestions:
1) You're raising free-range hamsters which can be sold to fast food chains.

2) You're raising crops on a terraformed moon or planet.

3) You're raising crops as described, but it's in Bizarro World where Carrot People or Beet People or Potato People are raising crops of humans to sell.

The possibilities are endless!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ben_ethus wrote:
HamsterOfFury wrote:

My suggestions:
1) You're raising free-range hamsters which can be sold to fast food chains.

Winner for me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not as dramatic as what you are describing, but you'd probably want to check out Dicke Kartoffeln http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/167 which is all about potatoes and crop rotations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
echoota wrote:
Not as dramatic as what you are describing, but you'd probably want to check out Dicke Kartoffeln http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/167 which is all about potatoes and crop rotations.

Looks like a cute little game.
My idea is different but now I want this little curioso!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is an old saying, "There are three ways to drive a man to ruin: drink, women and farming."

And farming is definitely the least fun of the three.

Just kidding. Good luck with your design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cooper
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
Ask me how I got this badge early!
badge
Dexterity Games Guy for BGG.Con / GeekCoin # 318030
mbmbmbmbmb
Please, Please, PLEASE name one of the characters Dennis! (Yes, I know it's the wrong century.)

/ooh, there's some lovely filth over here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
ben_ethus wrote:
3) You're raising crops as described, but it's in Bizarro World where Carrot People or Beet People or Potato People are raising crops of humans to sell.

You'd better patent this idea before Friedemann Friese gets a hold of it. It sounds right up his alley.

Freaky Farming, maybe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Siggins
England
Bexhill
SUSSEX
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely keen Luke, I have been working on a more modern version.

You may also like to look at Sim Farm if you can find a copy.

Antike No 2 all time? Wow. Must try it.

Who is the babe in your avatar?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sumo wrote:
Definitely keen Luke, I have been working on a more modern version.

You may also like to look at Sim Farm if you can find a copy.

Antike No 2 all time? Wow. Must try it.

Who is the babe in your avatar?

I'm a massive fan of Civilization and Antike is like Civilization, more aggressive, in under 3 hours. Classy.

The babe is a Japanese star Kato Rosa!

Now you've got me interested in yours too! More info definitely desired!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Coppedge
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
laugh Agricola

Good call!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I dont think anyone has EVER thought of making a board game about farming before! Oh wait....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Serious feedback:

As other people have said, there do seem to be a lot of games about farming in medieval or Renaissance Europe. It also seems like most of them are eurogames.

So I'd only make that the theme, if the game is likely to appeal to fans of eurogames.

If it is a euro-style game, I wouldn't use any of the other suggestions that people have posted, cool though they are.

Otherwise you might end up in an analagous situation to a death metal band that called itself Jah Dub Energy.

Mind you, I don't really know anything about how the game industry works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Gorno" Fashena
United States
Westchester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
apeloverage wrote:
If it is a euro-style game, I wouldn't use any of the other suggestions that people have posted, cool though they are.

Otherwise you might end up in an analagous situation to a death metal band that called itself Jah Dub Energy.
That's a good point, but maybe farming games are ripe for satire... consider Agricola X-Deck! An out-and-out goof-fest analogous to Galaxy Trucker might be in order.

Getting back on the original tack: 1) there are lots of (Europe-set) farming games already, so there would have to be something neat and distinctive about this one, 2) the principles of crop rotation and other Agricultural Revolution innovations are well known now, but were discoveries then, so one would want to introduce alternatives that have to be experimented with/bet on without prior knowledge and might vary from game to game (e.g., if the rules lay out the optimal crop rotation pattern, everyone will follow it). One way to help with both would be to change the setting and premises of farming, perhaps to ancient Meso-America or South-East Asia, maybe with invented crops to mix things up...

Gorno

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
August Larson
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I had an idea for a farming game after ordering some chinese take-out.

As Gorno said, an Asian farming game could mix things up. The game would be called General Tso's Chickens. Players are chicken farmers raising chickens (of course) that they must use to feed their family, sell at market to get money to buy more chickens or supplies. But the Taiping Revolution (a big civil war in China around 1880) was going down, and General Tso (he's not fictional) needs to feed his troops. Players get VPs for sending their chickens and eggs to feed the troops of China.

Of course, the game doesn't have to JUST be based on chickens. That was just my original thought. But if the game were taking place during a war where armies come stomping through your fields, and you have to give chickens to the government to feed their forces, that would be fine too. I have no idea where to go with this from here, at least yet, so any ideas are welcome, or if anyone even wants to take this idea and make it their own, go ahead, just let me know because I'd like to see where that would end up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.