Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
Designer Wannabe
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zombie
First off, this is an expansion, so if you don�t have the core game, this won't do you any good. If you do have the core game, this is an expansion that adds quite a bit of depth to the game.

This time you and your friends are trapped on a college campus, and like all other expansions you are searching for the single seat on the coveted helicopter. But this game does introduce some enjoyable changes that add new ways to gain the advantage and backstab your buddies.

On the surface, the changes seem pretty subtle. The biggest thing long-time players will notice is the addition of "guts" tokens. These tokens control how many cards you have in your hand (from one to five).

It sounds simple, and it is, but it has a pretty dramatic effect on the game. It's amazing how much harder the game is to play when you only have one or two cards, and your opponents have four or five.

Guts are primarily won and lost based on your performance in zombie combat (you lose one of you roll a 1, you gain one if you roll a 6), but to accentuate the addition of guts many of the cards in the expansion also effect the new tokens. Now it's possible to lose your whole hand with a well-played card.

If you're not a big fan of the campus setting, it is very easy to port the guts into the core game's city or any of other expansions, but to really get the full effect, you need to use the cards that effect guts as well.

One of my favorite additions was a dastardly little card called "scalpel." The card gives the player you give it to a -1 on their combat rolls. You can give it back by discarding a heart, bullet, or gut, token, but if you're low on guts it can really hurt to give it away.

This one card can have a pretty drastic effect on the dynamics of the game, and luckily, the card text names a number of buildings it can be played in, including the hospital, so the card can easily be shuffled into your deck when playing with just the core game's city tiles.

Another good change is the reduction of building specific cards. In past sets, certain cards could only be played in one specific building (play when you are in the Sporting Goods Store). While there are still a few of those, there are also some great cards that allow you to play them on any Zombies 5 tile. That makes the cards far less likely to end up in the discard pile.

As with all Zombies expansions (except for 2) there is a code in the lower corner of all the cards, telling you which set the cards are from, so it is very easy to pick and chose your favorite cards and use them in other expansions without worrying about them getting lost in the deck.

While I think all of the Zombies!!! Expansions have added some great elements to the game, the additions have always been very set specific (air vents are only in the mall, the super zombies are only in the military base). This set breaks that mold and gives you some great new game elements that you can use every time regardless of which setting you want to play in.

Zombies 5 is a must-buy for any fan of the game who wants to add a new level of (slight) complexity to the games as well as some great new ways to screw your friends and reach the chopper first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Holyoak
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
Designer Wannabe
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe.
It depends on why you hate it.
If you hate it because there's "too much" randomness and luck involved, then NO.
The guts are earned and lossed based on the roll of the dice and the luck of the draw, there's nothing your "skill" can do to change it.
But if you want to play a game, where you get to sacrifice your friends to the zombie horde, while you watch from the helicopter, then the sadistic side of you will really like this expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven S
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
My problem with Zombies!!! is mostly speed. The game plays too slowly, and the endgame is really friggin' long (or happens so quickly that it might as well not exist). Does this expansion change that at all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Crimmins
United States
South Salem
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The 'speed' problem is everybody's issue with Zombies!!! in general. Without a doubt, use the 'fastplay' rules posted on the geek for the original game, and suddenly it's a fun frantic zombie-bashfest... those tweaks change everything, remove the over-rolling factors, and make the game fun imo... try em.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brzozowski
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have yet to play this version, but I did play the first game. I think the game moved along fairly quickly so long as people know what they're doing. (Getting newbies to play without having to consult the rules every turn was a challenge- I just created a player card, a 3.5 x 6 inch sheet to have for each player. It contains quick rules, a pool box for bullets, 5 boxes for life tokens, and 4 characters THE HERO, THE LOOSE CANNON, THE SCIENTIST to name a few, to represent the number of times you can respawn in the town square) Having this card helped out alot and gave Zombies a more 'board game' feel. This was something that Twilight Creations should have included in the set but didn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jcrim13 wrote:
Without a doubt, use the 'fastplay' rules posted on the geek for the original game, and suddenly it's a fun frantic zombie-bashfest... those tweaks change everything, remove the over-rolling factors, and make the game fun imo... try em.

I have not been able to find these 'fastplay' rules. Do you have a link? Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cauldronofevil wrote:
jcrim13 wrote:
Without a doubt, use the 'fastplay' rules posted on the geek for the original game, and suddenly it's a fun frantic zombie-bashfest... those tweaks change everything, remove the over-rolling factors, and make the game fun imo... try em.

I have not been able to find these 'fastplay' rules. Do you have a link? Thank you!

I assume he's talking about these:
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/44922/zombies-hardcore-v1-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.