Scott Mellon
United States
Erie
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Attike

I just traded for this one at BGG. Thanks Aldie for getting the direct matches up. It makes trading sooo much easier.

Anyway, Steve, Bugbear and I sat down to give this one a try. I explained the rules and we were off.

One thing surprised me. I did not expect this game to cause AP after reading the four pages of rules. Our game took almost 2 hours. Yes, a three player game took that long. It would have taken longer, but Bugbear had to leave early, or we would have went another 15 minutes. It was VERY frustrating. I mean, the game only has 2 choices, draw or build. It shouldn’t be that hard. With your opponents limited to that too, you can do some look ahead and be fairly ready to go.

In fact, my opponent’s actions never made me change my mind as what I was going to do. It would only change where I was going to place the buildings to block them, and figure out what the cost would change to because of the new location at the most.

But I think that’s the fault of the player, not the game. At several points I actually had to say something to get them to take their turn, or the game would never have ended. This is the problem with having a ‘public game night’ I guess. You can’t necessarily pick your opponents.

The game itself was ok, and I’ll want another play with other players before I rate it. I was trying to connect the shrine in front of me with the shrine in front of Steve. Steve and Bugbear were building towards each other, and Steve built a second settlement to block Bugbear. This started a war between the two of them, with Steve building in front of his shrine to block Bugbear. Bugbear had meanwhile cut Steve off near his shrine and blocked it off.

I had started the game building in front of my shrine blocking it off immediately. I got a street next to Steve’s shrine, and another building next to that, but then Steve cut me off. He spent the rest of the game blocking me from completing my connection, and I him. This handed Bugbear the game, as he just happily built everything he had in one big settlement while we duked it out.

When we wrapped the game up, Bugbear was two turns away from building his 30 buildings, and neither Steve or I could get all of ours built or get to each other’s shrine, although I was slightly closer to achieving that, had I had a few more turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angus the Bull
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting that it took so long to play out... Were you all new to the game?

I've found that pushing for a shrine connection is always second priority and it's better to be sneaky about it. Rather concentrate on staking out some territoy, building your groups effectively for free builds, and defending one shrine to prevent easy connection by an opponent.
IMO, the Road or the Fountain group with together with an Amorpha create the best opportunities for a connection win. (The ability to place 4 tiles quickly in a straight line can allow you a nice reach across the board for a quick win against an unsuspecting opponent.) If I had to guess, I would say that from my plays, 60% of games end with all the buildings built and 40% are connection wins. Of course, almost all my plays are 2-player only.

Definitely worh another try, and be sure to get in a game with just 2 players before you mae up your mind. I've got well over 100 plays on my copy at home and I've yet to tire of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nomadic Gamer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I plug the "3 amphora reward" variant for any shrine connection.
The game is a little faster & you don't have to block someone.
meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mellon
United States
Erie
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It took so long because one player just stood there hemming and hawing until one of us yelled at him to make a move.

I've since aaked his friend not to bring him back, as that's the least annoying trait he has.

Since then I've played it once or twice more, all games have ended by connecting shrines. I was working towards playing all tiles, and would have had it, it the one player would have blocked the shrine on their turn.

It's an ok game, not my favorite, but it's not getting tossed out of the collection either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Ding Dong
United States
Ding Dong
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
agashamirv wrote:
It took so long because one player just stood there hemming and hawing until one of us yelled at him to make a move.

I've since aaked his friend not to bring him back, as that's the least annoying trait he has.

He should have said 'ding' when his turn was done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.