Jake Thornton
United Kingdom
Wallsend
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
We rounded off our gaming session with an old favourite: Samurai. After Caylus and Carc it came somewhere in the middle for complexity, but I for one was much more familiar with it. It's one of those games that I feel a certain affinity for and always enjoy playing and do reasonably well at.

Opening moves saw Blue and Green nabbing a mixture of high hats and buddhas each, and me going nowhere. However, I came back with a handful of rice tiles and took three of those pieces. It seemed that I had cornered the market for rice and so I sat on the ones I'd taken and started collecting anything else. There were the usual underhand liftings from under people's noses and we lost 2 pieces to draws. Still, by the end of the middle game it seemed like it was winnable. Blue was, perhaps, a little behind, but I felt I could beat Green.

At this point I decided I'd have to nab another rice to guarantee me that 'most of'. I also decided that I was poised well to get most of the high hats too and win outright. However, it was not to be. Nearly, but not quite. It was actually down to a single tile coming a turn too late for me, which was both frustrating and great!

The endgame went right down to the wire with one left of each on the board. Blue ended the game with a tile on the penultimate space, capturing one last piece for Green.

Screens were then removed to reveal the final scores. Green had most buddhas and I had most rice, but we drew on number of other pieces so it was decided on total - a well deserved Green victory!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.