Paul Bryant
United States
Jamaica Plain
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy this game. I enjoy it a lot. It plays fast, it is easy to pick up, and though there is some luck, more often then not it comes down to skill. So I like it even though I hate Star Wars.

SWE1-COTL (Star Wars Episode 1 - Clash of the Lightsabers) is a card game that works a bit like the card game war. There are a few big differences thankfully. You get to see the cards you lay down and there are special cards that have abilities instead of number values. There are two decks in the game they are identical in content but one is themed "Dark Side"devil and represents Darth Maul (who gets more time in this game then he did in the movie) and one themed "Light side"laugh that represents Qui Gon Jin. The base cards in the game (the lightsaber cards) have values ranging from 1 to 6. These are your battle points and the person with the highest total wins the battle.

Play:
1 You start by taking your decks and shuffling them.
2 You then deal out 7 cards. These represent your initial cards for your first 3 battles.
3 You lay lay 3 cards face down these will be your opening card for each of the three battles. The idea is to have the highest total in each battle.
4 You each turn over your first card. The person with the lower number must now ether play another card to up his total past the opponent or secede the battle. You can use the number cards and or special cards such as double your value, block opponents last played card, draw two cards, or the card that holds the most valuable card in the game.. retreat to up your points. Special note: the retreat card is the best card in the game, with that card you admit to defeat that battle and take all the cards you had in play back into your hand. Why is that so powerful? Because you get to carry over any cards you have left over after the 3 battles into your next hand. So instead of starting with 7 cards you get 7 plus what you had.
5 You play out the 3 battles and see who won the 2 out of the 3 or 3 out of the 3 battles and move your token up accordingly.
6 You deal out another 7 cards and the cycle continues. Knowing when to give up a few battles to gain the advantage to win the war is a key strategy in this game. How to win the war? There are 5 cards in each deck that represent the "duel" that the game is named for. If you win two battles in a set you move up one. If you can pull of winning all three battles in a set you move up 2. The first person to make it to the 5th card (earn a total of 5 movement points) wins. l

That is the game in a large nutshell.

Components: You two fairly well sculpted miniatures one of Maul and one of Qui-gon. This is what prompted the guy who own s the set I play to buy it and it would seem was the main reason many folk bought the game. I know one guy who bought it for these two little minis then tossed out the cards before having ever played the game. These two miniatures are nice if you like Star Wars. The cards themselves however are poor. They are full color cards printed on pretty cheap playing card stock. The kind you get when you pay a dollar for a themed deck of playing cards. The art on the cards is also pretty bad. The pictures are all pulls from the movie but even on little cards you can see compression and artifacting in the art. It is not major but it looks like someone built the deck off of art they took from a ripped VCD of the movie. I will give it the only reason it did not get a two is because of the miniatures which are pretty well done.

Game: The game is solid fast and fun. Luck can be a factor especially if you get most of your good cards in the top part of your deck and make a fast sweep. If however you get through the whole deck it is purely a matter skill as you have each had the exact same cards albeit at different times. I really like this game especially as it plays nice and quick. I wish they would use this system with a nicer theme or with some better card stock also it would be great to see them make rules that allow it to be a 4 player game.

Overall
: thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Caspers
Germany
Mönchengladbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are mucher better Star Wars games out there (old and new), but for haters this might be it...
just a bit dumb to play a Star Wars game as a hater in the first place

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bryant
United States
Jamaica Plain
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A good game is a good game. I will play a good Star Wars game just as I would play a good Care Bears game (not that you will likely see one of those.)

As far as table top star wars games I have played a few though it sounds like not nearly as many as you. The only other one that was good enough to play on a semi regular basis is the Star Wars Risk. It is pretty well done and I like the fact it is built around a two on two cooperative game but as a whole I still don't think it is a great game. But it is a good one.

If there are other very good Star Wars games out there that I should know about I would would welcome your suggestions. A number of my friends enjoy Star Wars a lot and that is how I ended up playing any of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Queen's Gambit is the highest rated Star Wars game, but that one is pretty expensive now since it is out of print.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.