Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played this twice with two different groups and both games (4 player) came in at three hours. Everyone enjoyed the game and would like to try it again, but it looks like this is going to be one of those games that takes up a whole evening rather than just a chunk of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've also played twice. The first game was 2 hours and the second was a little under 90 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our first game was just over 90 minutes. We'd never played before but all three of us were experienced gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Adams
United States
Brigham City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That long? Really? Wow.

Our games with 2-4 players always last around 90 minutes, maybe a little longer or shorter, but around that. The longest one, which stands out because it felt longer than all the others, was a three player game that felt agonizing towards the end - it was just so tight that it was hard for anyone to gain any victory points for a few turns there - lasted just under 2 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Little
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Karate Chop!
mbmbmbmbmb
That is insane!! I can't see how this could possibly take more than 90 minutes. The first four player game clocked in just under an hour, and the second three player game took about 75 minutes.

What on earth are you guys doing? Do you roll a single die for combat, individually rolling for each unit? Seriously -- I've played with people who did this for Axis & Allies, adding a good hour to the length of each game.

The game drops you in the middle of a knife fight -- there's really no time to hold back or catch your breath, it's push-attack-fight-attack all the way. Are people trying to somehow turtle or something?

Tell us more!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I agree that three hours is pretty ridiculous. My games have all lasted from less than 1 hour to 90 minutes. Like Jason said, you're given great incentive to fight right from the get-go! The whole game should be fight, fight, fight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Hasegawa
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you remembering to draw a new mission card each turn? Even if you turtle a little, somebody should end up with enough mission cards to have incentive to start attacking. Once someone jumps out in front a bit eveyone else has to join in the attacking or else its far too easy for one person to go from 8 VPs to winning. Is everyone ignoring the monolith? Holding the monolith for a couple turns in a row will definitely speed things up.

Sorry, I just don't see how you could possibly turn this into a 3 hour game without an incredible run of bad luck. Even then, a players turn just doesn't last that long. If a guy is turtling, his turn should last like 2 minutes tops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tatsu wrote:
Are you remembering to draw a new mission card each turn? Even if you turtle a little, somebody should end up with enough mission cards to have incentive to start attacking. Once someone jumps out in front a bit eveyone else has to join in the attacking or else its far too easy for one person to go from 8 VPs to winning. Is everyone ignoring the monolith? Holding the monolith for a couple turns in a row will definitely speed things up.

Sorry, I just don't see how you could possibly turn this into a 3 hour game without an incredible run of bad luck. Even then, a players turn just doesn't last that long. If a guy is turtling, his turn should last like 2 minutes tops.

Heh, is 8 VP the standard? We played to 10 in that first hour and a half.

If you're having trouble with your pals taking too long or not moving quickly enough, just send out a strongarm force directly to the monolith. If that doesn't provoke a response, send a dragon too. Then launch the dragon from the monolith right into the heart of their HQ for a TON of laughs. They'll be so pissed that the game will be over rather quickly in one way or another.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Hasegawa
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
franklincobb wrote:

If you are playing to 12 VPs, 4 is easy enough to scoop up in one turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
2 players rarely go over an hour. If ever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tatsu wrote:
franklincobb wrote:

If you are playing to 12 VPs, 4 is easy enough to scoop up in one turn.

We'll probably play to 12 next time. Seemed like the game ended right when it was getting interesting, as once you realize the endgame is nigh it's just a flurry of presses and attacks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I cannot imagine several hours of this game. I have yet to have a 3 player game last more than 60-70 minutes.

Almost 3 hours would be absurd.....Hell, our first 3 player game of Die Macher INCLUDING rules explanation only took 4....and that game's rated for 4 hours!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
My guess...you're not drawing/playing the red cards as often as you should.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think we've had a couple games just break 2 hours. But 3 is inconceivable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody
United States
Placentia
Select state
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ive had a similar experience.

My three player games are usually in the 90 minutes and are fun, but with 4 players it gets up in the 2-3 hour range. It just drags on and on because everybody masses their troops into one huge army and it becomes difficult to achieve the various mission objectives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't get it. You get AT LEAST 1 VP in every battle you win. How can it take 3 hours for one player to get to 12?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I played we got close to three hours. I think that it was with four players. You may get 1VP (or more) for every battle that you win, but we weren't interested in giving the VPs to other players so we would only attack when we felt safe with the results.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With 2p, we're at 55-75 minutes. 3p is around 90.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well it's good to hear that it can be played quicker, but perhaps not with the groups I've played with.

The first game was played with some guys who love to minimax everything, so a lot of time was spent contemplating purchases and deciding on moves. There was a lot of fighting going on from the start, and the guy who won was the player who was the most agressive, but it was a very calculated game. We'd also hammer on whoever was in the lead with energizing cards used in support which probably didn't help.

The second game basically had everyone turtling for a good chunk of the game. Now my prefered play style is to turtle in these types of games. I like to hang back, build up both my defense and offence and then roll across with a view that it is my manifest destiny to win, all while the other players squabble in their petty conflicts

Of course this doesn't work well when everyone else is constantly reinforcing and and not taking risks, so it's understandable why the second game took so long. Perhaps with that group it would help to just give an extra two or three to everyone's income, that way you can build up an offensive while still being able to create a defense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Perez
United States
California
flag msg tools
I've played the game twice with 3 players. 2 experienced and 1 twelve-year old. The first game took two hours and the next one was 90 minutes. It would have been shorter except the 12-year old kept hoarding his energize cards and secret mission cards (so he didn't even get a single VP at the end since he never won a battle on his turn).
But we all agreed it was fun. We explained the VPs a bit more to the kid and I think he finally got it. So our next game ought to be a 30 minute free-for-all.
Of course, it didn't help that he kept buying Rubium dragons and Lava Leapers and my Secret Mission cards were dependent on someone having fungoids in their armies. (sigh!) cry
Overall, excellent lark of a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Wills
Australia
Panania
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
2 players rarely go over an hour. If ever.

Never gone over an hour with two players for me - including rules explanation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the 3 games i have played have lasted roughly 2 hours each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.