Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: 4 New Games from Decision Games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

On the Funagain site I saw 4 new games from Decision Games being offered in pre-order but funny enough I could not discover anything on both the Boardgamegeek and on the Decisions Games site:

The Conquerors (Preorder) List: $73.00 $58.50 (20% savings!)
Featuring both strategic and tactical level games, complete with two maps and four counter sheets, The Conquerors covers the campaigns of Alexander the Great, Rome's Second Macedonian War.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Battle For Stalingrad (Preorder) List: $52.00 $41.50 (20% savings!)
Battle for Stalingrad is an operational level game focusing on the climactic battle of World War II.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------Ancient Conquest (Preorder) List: $52.00 $41.50 (20% savings!)
Battle with Egpy, Medes, Arameans, Urartu, Assyria, Mitanni, Lysdians, Hittites, Elamites, Jews, Cimmerians, Caldeans, Kassites, Phyrgains, and other ancient nations in this game of the epoch until the Persian and Peloponnesian wars.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------A Mighty Fortress (Preorder) List: $48.00 $38.50 (20% savings!)
An operational level campaign set in central Europe, A Mighty Fortress explores military and diplomatic conflict during the Reformation period (1532-1555).

Anyhow: all looks very interesting and A Mighty Fortress is a reprint of the old one.

Maybe soemone knows where to find additional info?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reed
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: 4 New Games fron Decision Games
A Mighty Fortress is a SPI title that was released in 1977 - this is appears to be a reworked version or redesign of the original: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/2666

Here's what I could find on the DG website: A Mighty Fortress (SPI/Excalibre/new) is a 2-6 player game of military and diplomatic conflict during the Reformation period (1532-1555). The update would focus on a graphics update (one map, one counter sheet). (See note in Pledge Update about publication) (Est. retail: $48; est. pledge: $36).

I own the original, but have not gotten it to the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
"The Conquerors" is also a reissue of an old SPI double game. I hope they fix the broken tactical combat system, which had a tactical display in "Romans" for manipular legion vs. phalanx battle resolution in which the maniples lost their maneuverability once they crossed the centerline (because they were moving onto the phalanx grid, which was more restrictive).

The concepts in the games were interesting and with a facelift and redevelopment should prove quite popular.

"Conquest" looks like a reissue of "Ancient Conquest," an old '70s game by a Third World game company. It had all those peoples in it and decently thick, but plain, counters (and other graphics). I have one someplace--I remember the purple box.

Don't know if S'grad is a reissue or not, but many of the games on DG's feedback/preorder list are reissues.

It will be interesting to see people compare A Mighty Fortress with the new GMT card-driven game on the Reformation era. AMF was actually a design done out of house, I believe by a German designer (it was definitely NOT a "Euro-style" game, however--hex map and counters and case-style rules, etc.) and picked up by SPI.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Barry

I was a huge fan of the SPI / TSR games and at the time they were what GMT is now.

I share your concern: I am curious how Decision is holding up / refine their old issues against the new games from publishers like GMT.

I heard very good things from 'Here I Stand' and it seems Decision is slightly too late with there re-issue of 'a mighty fortress'.

Wonder why there is no input yet on the boardgamegeek.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reed
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barry Kendall wrote:
It will be interesting to see people compare A Mighty Fortress with the new GMT card-driven game on the Reformation era. AMF was actually a design done out of house, I believe by a German designer (it was definitely NOT a "Euro-style" game, however--hex map and counters and case-style rules, etc.) and picked up by SPI.

It will indeed be interesting. The GMT title is very tempting, but I would need to find some opponents (and since my copy of Mighty Fortress is still unpunched, the odds of that seem low). Much of the Decision/Excalibre line seems to be rehashes of the old SPI catalog, with little updating or refinement. This is fine if you want to live in the 1970s, but wargaming has evolved a lot since the peak of SPI.

Recently, I have been playing Eurogames for the most part, due to the ease in finding opponents and the smaller required investment in time, but I have been tempted by some of the new designs (Triumph of Chaos really looks interesting). I guess it is time to see if there is some in the group who really would be interested or figure out VASSAL or Cyberbox.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi David,

Triumph of Chaos is on my Hot List as well.

Games that might be interestins as well for you:

-Commands & Colors: Ancients + C&C:Ancients Expansion 1
-The Burning Blue (GMT) about the Battle of Britain
-Shogun, a similar game as wallenstein but set in Japan (I think a much stronger theme)
-Hellas (Columbia Games)
-Combat Commander (GMT)
-Napoleon's Triumph

Happy gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.