Javier Martin
United Kingdom
Maidenhead
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EDIT: There's now a BGG entry for the game: A Night in Deepwail Manor. I'll make sure to update it throughout the coming days.

The door opened slowly with a tremulous creak, and the two children peeked timidly from the threshold before making their way into the room.

"I knew it," said the smaller of the two boys. "We've been in this room already."
"No, we haven't," replied the tall boy. He smiled with confidence as he scanned the room with his flashlight, but the darkness was so thick that it seemed to swallow the feeble ray.
"We have, too!" complained the small child. "I'm starting to think that this was not a good idea. Maybe we should go back. I didn't want to come anyway."
"For the last time... No, we haven't, and you know that we can't go back until tomorrow. Our parents would know that we didn't go to the field trip. And stop grabbing my arm so tightly, you're hurting me."
"I'm not grabbing your arm," said the small child after a short silence.
"You are, too!" replied the tall child, a hint of nervousness in his voice.
"No, he isn't," said a deep, ghastly voice in their ears, and then the door slammed shut behind them.

A Night in Deepwail Manor is a short and simple push-your-luck game for 1 or 2 players playable in 5-15 minutes that uses only a small deck of 29 custom cards as well as 4 double-sided character cards. The player (or players) will control two children who explore the creepy Deepwail Manor on a dare and face eerie locations and dangerous encounters as they venture deeper into the mansion.

Every round, a new card is revealed and played from the deck. Encounter cards take effect immediately, but the effect on Location cards only takes place if there's a location with the same name in the discard pile. Each location is worth a number of Exploration Points, and the goal of the game is to make it out of the manor with the maximum number of Exploration points. But be careful! As soon as both characters are terrified, the game is over and the player or players will lose all their points! With cards that test your decision making and four characters with different abilities, A Night in Deepwail Manor is the perfect game to play on a train ride, during a lunch break or around a campfire... if you dare!

----------------------------------------------------------

This is my entry for the 2013 Solitaire PnP contest. The game is now contest ready. Here are the final files!

Cards + backs
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6QEJ0uMUUXRV29CWVpDdlk2NFU/...

Rules
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6QEJ0uMUUXRUmoxUGpBckdjSnc/...

Player aid + Scoring table
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6QEJ0uMUUXRM1FOMFVKV2RuX2M/...

A few images of the cards:

A few shots of the game in action:

Wishlist for the future:
-More characters
-More locations/encounters settings
-Uploading the game to the BGG site
-Creating a thread for players to post their highest scores
-Logo
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tina T
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] 2013 Solitaire PNP Contest: A Night in Deepwail Manor
Looking forward to find out more about the game - I really liked your previous game (The Salem Conspiracy), so this will be interesting, I'm sure! And a solitaire, too, I've been looking for a nice, low-component one of those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dummiesday wrote:
This is my entry for the 2013 Solitaire PnP contest. I will update this entry with more details in the coming days, but the design itself is pretty much finished (the mechanics are fixed and I can test it with rudimentary components). As soon as I have decent-looking cards and more polished rules, I'll upload more information. I'm looking forward to seeing other designs and to getting some feedback. Keep an eye on this thread if you're interested!

I don't think you need to wait for decent looking cards before you make the game available. In fact I'd wait doing to much graphics work until you've gotten feedback from playtesters you don't know. That will prevent you from wasting time and will prevent you getting married to a mechanic that really ought to be changed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javier Martin
United Kingdom
Maidenhead
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:
dummiesday wrote:
This is my entry for the 2013 Solitaire PnP contest. I will update this entry with more details in the coming days, but the design itself is pretty much finished (the mechanics are fixed and I can test it with rudimentary components). As soon as I have decent-looking cards and more polished rules, I'll upload more information. I'm looking forward to seeing other designs and to getting some feedback. Keep an eye on this thread if you're interested!

I don't think you need to wait for decent looking cards before you make the game available. In fact I'd wait doing to much graphics work until you've gotten feedback from playtesters you don't know. That will prevent you from wasting time and will prevent you getting married to a mechanic that really ought to be changed.

I completely agree with you, but right now I'm just using business cards to test! I will make sure to upload a crude prototype ASAP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javier Martin
United Kingdom
Maidenhead
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schlawiner wrote:
Looking forward to find out more about the game - I really liked your previous game (The Salem Conspiracy), so this will be interesting, I'm sure! And a solitaire, too, I've been looking for a nice, low-component one of those.

Thank you so much for your continued support! I hope it won't disappoint you too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vandel Arden
Germany
Leipzig
Sachsen
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Reminds my slightly of Betrayal at the House on the Hill.
A nice overall concept.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deathworks
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

This sounds quite nice. I have actually considered trying to make a game with a very similar theme (a child at a haunted house on a dare), but I have thus far shunned taking up the challenge.

I am looking forward to have a look at your game.

Yours,
Deathworks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javier Martin
United Kingdom
Maidenhead
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Avalain wrote:
Reminds my slightly of Betrayal at the House on the Hill.
A nice overall concept.

I've actually never played Betrayal, it looks pretty fun! This will end up being way lighter, but I hope I piqued your interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javier Martin
United Kingdom
Maidenhead
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deathworks wrote:
Hello!

This sounds quite nice. I have actually considered trying to make a game with a very similar theme (a child at a haunted house on a dare), but I have thus far shunned taking up the challenge.

I am looking forward to have a look at your game.

Yours,
Deathworks

Thanks! I'm curious to know what mechanics you were considering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fox Glove
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds fantastic. I loved your introductory passage. I hope that that little interaction captures the feeling of the finished game because it was perfect.

Best of luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deathworks
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

dummiesday wrote:

I am a fan of Höllenhaus (fond childhood memories which have met a recent chance to actually play it again :) ), and ever since that game, I am also a fan of modular boards. So I was thinking about using a two- part modular board: the surrounding grounds and the house with two stories and a basement as the second set. I was thinking of maybe having different sets of tiles (like basement tiles, house tiles, ground tiles front and ground tiles for behind the house), with there being more tiles than are actually used in a single game (thus creating a board that does not only change shape but also content).

The protagonist would be a single child (with a few different characters to choose from before gameplay, who have different advantages and disadvantages), equipped with her cell phone (hey, we are living today, right :) :) :) ) out to collect photos of the manor and its denizens. Limiting factors could be fear and maybe also time...

I was wondering whether a paragraph booklet could be used as the central device of filling gameplay (in effect, character moves onto tile which directs to a paragraph which redirects based on a random number/card draw to a paragraph that describes what encounter or event actually occurs). The board tiles would need a marker or something for being exhausted or at least fixed in a certain condition (for instance, a shrine in the back area would have its dedication set randomly when first discovers, but then keeps that dedication through the session).

But those have all been just idle ideas I have had, with nothing really to back them up.

Yours,
Deathworks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javier Martin
United Kingdom
Maidenhead
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deathworks wrote:
Hello!

dummiesday wrote:

I am a fan of Höllenhaus (fond childhood memories which have met a recent chance to actually play it again ), and ever since that game, I am also a fan of modular boards. So I was thinking about using a two- part modular board: the surrounding grounds and the house with two stories and a basement as the second set. I was thinking of maybe having different sets of tiles (like basement tiles, house tiles, ground tiles front and ground tiles for behind the house), with there being more tiles than are actually used in a single game (thus creating a board that does not only change shape but also content).

The protagonist would be a single child (with a few different characters to choose from before gameplay, who have different advantages and disadvantages), equipped with her cell phone (hey, we are living today, right ) out to collect photos of the manor and its denizens. Limiting factors could be fear and maybe also time...

I was wondering whether a paragraph booklet could be used as the central device of filling gameplay (in effect, character moves onto tile which directs to a paragraph which redirects based on a random number/card draw to a paragraph that describes what encounter or event actually occurs). The board tiles would need a marker or something for being exhausted or at least fixed in a certain condition (for instance, a shrine in the back area would have its dedication set randomly when first discovers, but then keeps that dedication through the session).

But those have all been just idle ideas I have had, with nothing really to back them up.

Yours,
Deathworks

I would totally play something like that. It would also probably make a very nifty co-op, methinks. What do you mean with shrine dedication though? Like, the shrine is dedicated to a deity or something for the duration of the game? If so, it reminds me of a couple roguelike PC games I like, sounds awesome!

In any case, my current design is WAY lighter than that. So much so, in fact, that I'm worried that I will actually alienate some people with the simplicity. But I figure that there have to be games of every kind in the contest, and hey, the idea is crystal clear in my head and I want to stay true to it. Let's see how it goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javier Martin
United Kingdom
Maidenhead
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LiberD wrote:
This sounds fantastic. I loved your introductory passage. I hope that that little interaction captures the feeling of the finished game because it was perfect.

Best of luck.

I'm really, really happy that you liked it! As I said in other posts, the game is very light, but I'm aiming to keep it as tense and thematic as I can. I hope you will find time to give it a spin!

Thanks again for your support!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javier Martin
United Kingdom
Maidenhead
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's about time I posted an update here. I'm afraid I can't share the cards themselves yet, but I thought I could give a better overview of the cards and the flow of the game so everyone can have an idea of how it works currently.

There are 2 ways to play: Solo (duh!) and 2P. In the solo game, the player controls two characters and takes all the relevant decisions. In the 2P variant, every player controls a character and they take all decisions together, but in case of conflict, the active player has the last word. I will be writing this piece with a focus on the solo experience since I don't want to create confusion.

To begin the game, the player selects two characters from the current pool of five. Note that the character cards are double-sided, and they have a calm side and a terrified side. Each character also has a special ability, which can be used while in either state. That's it, no stats or sanity points or anything that can create clutter. In order to use said ability, the player must exhaust the character -- that is, turn it sideways. So what's the purpose of 2-sided cards and the different states? Now is a good moment to explore the victory condition.

The goal of the game is... not to lose. robot The player must reveal one card of the Mansion deck each turn. These cards can be either locations or encounters. Encounters are pretty straightforward: something (usually unpleasant) happens as soon as it's revealed. Locations are a bit different: They also have nasty effects, but they only happen whenever the second copy of that location is revealed. Locations also have an exploration value that ranges from 1 to 3. Since both cards are different types, there's a discard pile for the encounters and another for the locations.

Some cards will make the characters panic, which means that they must be flipped to their terrified side. If at some point a character needs to be terrified and both of them are already terrified, the game is over and the player loses. However, almost at any point during the adventure, the player can decide that discretion is the better part of valor and run for the hills like a coward. If he does, the game is over and he counts the total of Exploration Points (EP) in all the visited locations (except his current location, which is not considered to have been explored). Therefore, the player must keep an eye on which locations and encounters have been played up to that moment and estimate the possibility of getting hit by a Panic effect - whether on an encounter or on a location.

Without further ado, here are the current cards:

Characters
-SIGMUND, the Friend: Calm 1 character.
-SERENA, the Helping Hand: Unexhaust 1 character.
-HADRIAN, the Leader: Search the deck for 1 location and play it.
-RENÉ, the Skeptic: Cancel the effect of 1 encounter.
-LUCIEN, the Scout: Look at the top 2 cards of the deck. Leave 1 on top and put the one on the bottom.

Locations
-1x ENTRANCE: 0 EP. This card cannot be shuffled into the deck. If an encounter is played in this location, it has no effect. Shuffle the encounter back into the deck. This card is always the starting location.
-2x BASEMENT: 2 EP. If at least one character is terrified, PANIC.
-2x GRAVEYARD: 3 EP. PANIC.
-2x HALL OF MIRRORS: 1 EP. Shuffle 1 location from the discard pile into the deck.
-2x BEDROOM: 2 EP. Activate the effect of any encounter in the discard pile. Then, shuffle that encounter into the deck.
-2x ANCIENT LAB: 2 EP. If both characters are exhausted, PANIC.
-2x HEDGE MAZE: 2 EP. Exhaust 1 character.
-2x RUINED CHAPEL: 2 EP. Shuffle 1 SPECTER encounter back into the deck.
-2x SAFE ROOM: 1 EP. If the next card is an encounter, ignore it.

Encounters
-6x SPECTER: PANIC.
-2x BATS: Play 2 cards immediately. Characters can't use abilities until all cards are resolved.
-1x BANSHEE: All terrified characters are exhausted.
-1x POLTERGEIST: Activate the effect of your current location.
-1x IMAGINARY FRIEND: Name a location. If the next card revealed is that location, its effect doesn't activate.
-1x WILL O'THE WISP: Look at the top card of the deck. You may put it on the bottom.

So there you are, folks. That makes a total of 29 cards plus 5 characters, so it should be relatively easy to print and put together. Plus, all you need is these cards, no boards, dice or tokens.

I will write later on some notes about what I'm trying to accomplish with this design. Until then, I hope you find this update interesting and I'm looking forward to hear your thoughts!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael R.
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it possible that you can lose the game almost right away without being able to do anything about it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javier Martin
United Kingdom
Maidenhead
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mjrobertson wrote:
Is it possible that you can lose the game almost right away without being able to do anything about it?

Nope. Encounters don't have any effect on the Entrance, so you can't suffer three Specters right away, for instance. Plus, you have the character abilities. I'm still tweaking numbers, but the fastest you can lose with EPIC bad luck is 5 cards into the deck using René and Sigmund, as an example. This, however, would involve playing 1 location and then getting, one after the other, 4 out of the 6 Specters in a row! I'd say you have more chances of getting a visit from a real ghost. goo

Typically, I go over half of the deck before I chicken out or lose.

Of course, I'm all ears for suggestions if you think the randomness can be a problem!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael R.
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like you've got it covered. Good thinking. Any game that involves luck will of course sometimes crush the player without them having much chance, but as you say this should almost never happen.

Once you're about half way through the deck, do you think that you can predict whether you will win or does luck still play a reasonable part? Obviously the fewer cards there are then the possibilities becomes less and less. Do you think it's actually possible/realistic that you can regularly win the game by totally exploring the manor?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javier Martin
United Kingdom
Maidenhead
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mjrobertson wrote:
It sounds like you've got it covered. Good thinking. Any game that involves luck will of course sometimes crush the player without them having much chance, but as you say this should almost never happen.

Once you're about half way through the deck, do you think that you can predict whether you will win or does luck still play a reasonable part? Obviously the fewer cards there are then the possibilities becomes less and less. Do you think it's actually possible/realistic that you can regularly win the game by totally exploring the manor?

The idea is to make exploring the whole manor impossible. With this mechanic, I often find myself wondering how far I can push. I probably could change some things at this stage to allow for that possibility, though. Do you think it would make the game more interesting? I fear that players will feel frustrated if victory happens rarely, and I think the push-your-luck element fits the design pretty well (hence the Exploration Points in the cards).

By the way, thanks for your input! It's helping me to see things more clearly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael R.
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually prefer solitaire games that I rarely win (although I should always have the possibility of winning). It doesn't sound like the game will take very long to play so I have that having a 'high score' approach to the game is ok.

You can possibly have different levels of achievement:

e.g. 20 points - Amateur Investigator
30 points - Paranormal Professional
etc.

While it's difficult to understand the mechanics in detail without reading detailed rules or playing the game, am I right in thinking that there is the possiblity the game could be 'infinite' if cards keep getting fed back into the deck? If you can feed cards back into the deck then the potential high score is limitless. I can see a kind of mini deck building effect.

You could also take the approach that once you've reached x score, you've explored a certain part of the manor and have reached a 'checkpoint', where you have the chance to rest or do something that helps you.

You could then add some new/different cards or challenges to the deck, so that the game can go on and on. Maybe you can even change character...you know, how in horror movies people always say "Let's split up and explore this dark and creepy house."

Having the option of using more than 2 characters per game (not at the same time) could be interesting. Maybe you can rescue characters or meet them at various checkpoints (as above). Maybe a character can become lost and can't be used for x turns etc.

It sounds like you have an interesting base for the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javier Martin
United Kingdom
Maidenhead
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mjrobertson wrote:
I actually prefer solitaire games that I rarely win (although I should always have the possibility of winning). It doesn't sound like the game will take very long to play so I have that having a 'high score' approach to the game is ok.

You can possibly have different levels of achievement:

e.g. 20 points - Amateur Investigator
30 points - Paranormal Professional
etc.

While it's difficult to understand the mechanics in detail without reading detailed rules or playing the game, am I right in thinking that there is the possiblity the game could be 'infinite' if cards keep getting fed back into the deck? If you can feed cards back into the deck then the potential high score is limitless. I can see a kind of mini deck building effect.

You could also take the approach that once you've reached x score, you've explored a certain part of the manor and have reached a 'checkpoint', where you have the chance to rest or do something that helps you.

You could then add some new/different cards or challenges to the deck, so that the game can go on and on. Maybe you can even change character...you know, how in horror movies people always say "Let's split up and explore this dark and creepy house."

Having the option of using more than 2 characters per game (not at the same time) could be interesting. Maybe you can rescue characters or meet them at various checkpoints (as above). Maybe a character can become lost and can't be used for x turns etc.

It sounds like you have an interesting base for the game.

Those are actually excellent ideas! I will give them some thought, I particularly like the "achievement tracker". It looks like you've caught on the essence of the game.

And to answer your question, the game can't go on infinitely, since it's designed so the player will eventually lose (or that's the idea!). There are no effects in the whole deck that unexhaust/calm the characters. It's probably a bit subtle, but most cards are more dangerous the longer the game goes. An ANCIENT LAB (2 EP. If both characters are exhausted, PANIC) or a RUINED CHAPEL (2 EP. Shuffle 1 SPECTER encounter back into the deck) won't do much at the beginning, but they can be devastating later on.

I like where this is going. I need to sleep on all the ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael R.
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing that you will have to consider is what is the expected lifespan of the game (in fact all contest designers should consider this). If I play it 10 times and score x points will I have any incentive to play another game? There will probably be a score that can't easily be beaten. I understand it's a light game but I like to see solitaire games that can be played again and again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javier Martin
United Kingdom
Maidenhead
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, the first draft of the game is up in all its printer-friendly glory! Give it a try and don't hesitate to leave some feedback!

Cards, printer friendly
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6QEJ0uMUUXRM3JDcEhUclBzLXM/...

Rules, printer friendly
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6QEJ0uMUUXRdk9za0lNekFlR0U/...

To-do list:
-Upload color version
-Finalize art
-Player guides
-Checklist with all cards and their effects
-Any requests are welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deathworks
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

I have given the game a few rounds without counting points (I know I will score rather low given my cowardly nature (^_^;; ).

It is a nice, quick game of daring/betting, in a way. The main decision is how far to carry on, how far to risk it. One card too many may cause you to lose all the points for the round. So, it is a question of risk- taking. As such, I think it works well, although it is not really a game type I excel at, so this is more an amateur guess.

The rules are relatively clear (first time a location appears, nothing happens, the second time, the event is triggered), with the exception of the entrance location. Intuitively, I assumed that the event listed there (re-shuffling any encounters into the deck and never re-shuffling the entrance into the deck) is always active as the entrance does not exist twice in the deck. That may require some clarification.

Locations score every time they are in the pile, regardless of whether they have been resolved (drawn twice) or not, right?

The aspect that I have most feelings about is the thematic aspect (besides wanting more female characters :) :) :) ). While most locations fit well, the cemetery feels kind of odd as it is definitely an outdoor location (the chapel and so one could all be indoors). I don't know, but I find this a bit hard to imagine.

This made me wonder about changing the setting a bit for some variance/flavor.

The first thing I thought of was a mall/department store. The different locations would be different departments (hardware, women's clothes, toys) and specials like coffee shop, fountain, burger place.

Seeing the mirror hall, I then thought of a theme park with various attractions being the locations.

In addition, I have been wondering about having matches. However, the rules are already rather challenging, so it may be difficult to implement them. What I mean with matches is having certain encounters in certain locations have additional effects. For instance, in the mall at the women's clothes, the poltergeist could be using the manequins there and be more effective.

Well, these were my thoughts upon playing the game. It was quite fun, and I am curious about what artwork and what further ideas you will present.

Yours,
Deathworks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javier Martin
United Kingdom
Maidenhead
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi and thanks for your detailed feedback!

Deathworks wrote:
Hello!

I have given the game a few rounds without counting points (I know I will score rather low given my cowardly nature (^_^;; ).

It is a nice, quick game of daring/betting, in a way. The main decision is how far to carry on, how far to risk it. One card too many may cause you to lose all the points for the round. So, it is a question of risk- taking. As such, I think it works well, although it is not really a game type I excel at, so this is more an amateur guess.

I'm really glad you like it! This is pretty much the approach I was going for.

Deathworks wrote:
The rules are relatively clear (first time a location appears, nothing happens, the second time, the event is triggered), with the exception of the entrance location. Intuitively, I assumed that the event listed there (re-shuffling any encounters into the deck and never re-shuffling the entrance into the deck) is always active as the entrance does not exist twice in the deck. That may require some clarification.

The idea here is that no encounters can ever take place in the Entrance, both for thematic and design reasons. It wouldn't be much fun to get 3 Specters in a row before entering the mansion proper.

Note that the Entrance effect doesn't have the arrow symbol that indicates that the effect triggers on the second location. Perhaps this can be clarified in the card itself, or I can make a note in the rules regarding the symbols. Decisions, decisions!

Deathworks wrote:
Locations score every time they are in the pile, regardless of whether they have been resolved (drawn twice) or not, right?

That's right. The points are counted for each individual cards. Please let me know if you think this is not clear enough in the rules and I will do my best to amend it!

Deathworks wrote:
The aspect that I have most feelings about is the thematic aspect (besides wanting more female characters ).

That last point is very easy to fix, consider it done!

Deathworks wrote:
While most locations fit well, the cemetery feels kind of odd as it is definitely an outdoor location (the chapel and so one could all be indoors). I don't know, but I find this a bit hard to imagine.

This made me wonder about changing the setting a bit for some variance/flavor.

The first thing I thought of was a mall/department store. The different locations would be different departments (hardware, women's clothes, toys) and specials like coffee shop, fountain, burger place.

Seeing the mirror hall, I then thought of a theme park with various attractions being the locations.

That's a very good point. I have sadly already started with the art, and I really like the concept of exploring a haunted mansion, but I kind of feel the same way about outside locations. I will definitely come up with something.

Deathworks wrote:
In addition, I have been wondering about having matches. However, the rules are already rather challenging, so it may be difficult to implement them. What I mean with matches is having certain encounters in certain locations have additional effects. For instance, in the mall at the women's clothes, the poltergeist could be using the manequins there and be more effective.

Well, while designing the game, I did try to make matches in a more subtle and loose way. Encountering a poltergeist in the Bedroom should be very different from encountering it in the Cemetery, and no one wants to meet an imaginary friend while in the Padded Cell. Having certain encounters work better in some specific locations would probably be more thematic, but I think it would also add another layer of complexity. In this case, I was aiming for pure simplicity, although I admit I may have overdone it.

Deathworks wrote:
Well, these were my thoughts upon playing the game. It was quite fun, and I am curious about what artwork and what further ideas you will present.

Yours,
Deathworks

I really appreciate you taking some time to play the game. I agree with all your points and I will look into how to improve the experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javier Martin
United Kingdom
Maidenhead
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a sneak peek, hope you enjoy it!

Tomorrow I will upload all the final files and set the game as contest ready.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   |