Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We met at "Games People Play" at University mall, and the group consisted of myself, my buddy Bob, and Mark T. Originally we were just going to knock out a couple of games of Heroscape, but since Mark T. was able to make it we played a game of Power Grid. It was Bob's first game, my second, and Mark T's 311th, if you count BSW. Still, it was a fairly close game, with first and second place determined by abotu $15 in "electrodes", which has had me playing "what if" in my head for the past 12 hours. "ooooh, what if I hadn't chosen a coal plant and saved some money on fuel...I would have won!"

We played on the France board, which Mark T. hadn't used before, and I was able to discuss the locations of several French cities with my wife who lived there for a while. We actually took out the atlas and talked about France briefly.

The Italy map looks whacky.

We will meet again on April 13th from 6-9 p.m.

Our Yahoo groups list for announcements can be found at:

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/ucboardgamers/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McF
United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried to come but when I got to the point of the mountain there was some strange force repelling me back into Salt Lake County. Despite being LDS I just couldn't get through. I figure it is due to rooting for the school that Brigham Young started, not the one named after him, that forces me out of there. I will try to make it down one of these months.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kchunks wrote:
I tried to come but when I got to the point of the mountain there was some strange force repelling me back into Salt Lake County. Despite being LDS I just couldn't get through. I figure it is due to rooting for the school that Brigham Young started, not the one named after him, that forces me out of there. I will try to make it down one of these months.

It worked! Our forcefield worked!

Hey, you should already be pretty spoiled in Salt Lake with places like this:

http://www.gamenightgames.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McF
United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There really is something to that Happy Valley Bubble.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McF
United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never actually been to the store. I have checked their web page and I am personally not impressed with the "pay us money for this club and you get a game discount" idea. Yes, it does make it so you don't have to pay to play in the tournaments, but I have no desire to play in the tournaments. The FLGS I frequent(ed) is Game Crossing. Unfortuantely, he is closing. It is sad because there was no fee to play in tournaments (not that I ever did) where the winner was given a $20 store credit, he had a pizza party every Friday for everyone, and offered a discount on large orders and kept a punch card for when you had smaller orders to build up and apply later. It is a great store and I am sad to see him go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds like a fantastic place. That is the kind of store that draws you away from the online retailers. "Games People Play" is overrun by Warhammer cult members, but everyone is nice and they have a good selection of Eurogames that I can't afford, including the new Marklin TTR.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.