United States
Dayton
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tribe ALBUS, welcome to your new home. Have fun making a shelter, trying to make fire, and eating a bug or two. The first challenge will begin Monday, March 13th.

Your buff color is GREEN. When you post in the main forum, "wear your buff" by posting with this color. You do not need to wear your buff in your tribe home.

The members of your tribe are:
Belash
Beowulf
janiera
jmglidden
melissa
Rukasu
Threnody

The main forum is here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/834853

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
rah rah Team Albus - what a great team to be part of!

I have to confess that I have never watched Survivor so I am flying a little blind

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Starkey
United States
Dayton
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI: Belash said that he couldn't check in until Monday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is all a big practical joke, isn't it. I am the only person here who is REALLY playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenny Wadkins
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yay! Melissa

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay! Thren

We need a Team Song or something. And a Team Code. We should write each other notes in code. Didn't that work well last game?

Just memorise this code. That should do the trick.

A
B
C cool
D surprise
E cry
F soblue
G shake
H robot
I
J
K wow
L laugh
M blush
N kiss
O yuk
P arrrh
Q
R
S angry
T meeple
U snore
V devil
W gulp
X zombie
Y sauron
Z ninja
Space goo
and d10 numbers are the numerals d10-1 d10-2 d10-3 d10-4 d10-5 d10-6 d10-7 d10-8 d10-9 d10-0

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yeah - and clearly we all need to post a LOT on this thread

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
to make the other teams wonder what we have to talk about so much

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
unless, of course, that means that they decide to vote us all off... I better stop now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Glidden
United States
Denver
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hail fellow Survivor people! Albus tribe! Wooo!

I agree that we need a code, but the last Survivor game proved that substitution ciphers are way too easy to break. I like the smiley code though. It would be frustrating to crack, but not difficult.

I don't really have a better idea right now, but I'd like for us to brainstorm on this for a bit. Perhaps we should first use babelfish ( http://babelfish.altavista.com/ ) to translate our message to say... Dutch, and then put it in smiley code.

We translate because people will be looking for common words, like wolf, the, etc. They'll also be doing letter frequency analysis.

That won't help with names though, so we need to come up with nicknames for everyone, and the nicknames must be common words.

So...
DIRUS:
red head = BagpipeDan
red neck = Freyja
red leg = greek2me
red hand = mbs808
red arm = rmunn
red foot = seanp
red back = xandryyte

ALBUS:
green head = Belash
green neck = Beowulf
green leg = janiera
green hand = jmglidden
green arm = melissa
green foot = Rukasu
green back = Threnody

LUPASTER:
blue head = bowman
blue neck = CapAp
blue leg = Dragonbane11
blue hand = lauramath
blue arm = oilslider
blue foot = Royalflush
blue back = runningquick

gulp meeple goo surprise cry kiss wow meeple goo snore goo laugh laugh cry kiss

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmglidden wrote:
Hail fellow Survivor people! Albus tribe! Wooo!

I agree that we need a code, but the last Survivor game proved that substitution ciphers are way too easy to break. I like the smiley code though. It would be frustrating to crack, but not difficult.

I didn't play that game, so I need advice from you vets on what worked or didn't. If you use a smiley for spaces as well, I think that a code become smuch harder to crack - especially if you add random spaces along the way.

But the smiley code was mostly a joke. It it's useful, we should go with it, but if (as I suspect) it is a bit of a waste of space, then we should ditch it.

What we need is a website somewhere with a codemaker and codebreaker - so we don't have to do manual translations.

Quote:
Perhaps we should first use babelfish ( http://babelfish.altavista.com/ ) to translate our message to say... Dutch, and then put it in smiley code.

But then we'd have to translate it back, which wouldn't work so well. I read simple Dutch by extrapolating from German and English (Wat denkt u allen - what do you all think) but I suspect babelfish doesn't work in both directions yet. That old 'the vodka's good but the meat's a bit off' story springs to mind.

Here are 3 more ideas:

1. If the message starts with a space then it is junk & randomly sequenced. We should get a few of these posted so that the frequency analysis is off.

2. Does anyone speak languages other than English? We could also PM short messages to each other in that language... I speak German, if that helps.

3. We should completely avoid using the letters T and E, to throw off frequency counts.

Urgh. I have to go to bed. Getting far too silly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Starkey
United States
Dayton
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great code, folks. I love it.

melissa wrote:

2. Does anyone speak languages other than English? We could also PM short messages to each other in that language... I speak German, if that helps.

You may not PM each other, unless a role specifically allows it. You may use a foreign language in the main forums, however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yekrats wrote:
Great code, folks. I love it.

melissa wrote:

You may not PM each other, unless a role specifically allows it. You may use a foreign language in the main forums, however.

Sorry - I meant 'send coded messages to each other' but not to the whole group of us unless we all happen to speak the same language.

Hey - I speak Pig Latin, too!

oday ouyay understanday emay?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenny Wadkins
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Heya gang

The smiley thing is clever Although it might be easy to break!

Is it possible to concatenate the alphabet so that one smiley can share up to three letters without the resulting message being indecipherable to us?

That might work ok particularly if the letter selection feels random.
OR we have more than one smiley representing a letter.

Or it might make it easier to crack. I have no concept of codes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
better - use some of the less common smileys for whole words. Either player names or common words like 'vote'.

I bags be grapecamel

EDIT: I'm wondering if there's a way to make a spreadsheet that would auto-translate things for us. That would save a LOT of time...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oOO! I made a spreadsheet!

Mod: are we allowed to share tools like that? Because I'm happy to email it to anyone - or is that illegal in this game? Or put it up on the web for you guys to grab.

At the moment, it only works in one direction, but I will try to get it working both ways if it is something that can be shared.

meeplerobot angrygoo angrygoomeeple yukyukgoo cryangry sauron
grapecamel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK - looks like I need to put a space after each letter to avoid scrabblifying occasional letters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
meeple robot angry goo angry goo meeple yuk yuk goo cry angry sauron

that's better

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With Yekrats's OK, I have uploaded the spreadsheet to my website

We don't have to use it, and we can expand it if we want to. Heck, if we are all using the same spreadsheet we can have a different set of codes for each day if we want to.

If you think this is a possible plan, please download and play with the spreadsheet. It's only 29K at the moment. I'm sure there are smarter ways to do the lookups...

http://www.rogerson.com.au/boardgames/files/survivor/AlbusCo...

This version allows you to use game icons for people (as below). I'd like to also come up with some common terms like 'vote' and 'lynch' so we hide those most common patterns. (What other words should be in there).

Also if we use, say, for vote then it is easy to type grapecamel at the end of an otherwise innocuous post.

Of course, we don't have to use this if we don't need to. I am just having fun

BagpipeDan mintcamel
Belash limecamel
Beowulf coffee
bowman corn
CapAp graytaj:
Dragonbane11 indigo
Freyja goldencamel
greek2me coal
janiera bluetaj:
jmglidden whitetaj:
lauramath lemoncamel
mbs808 tantaj:
melissa grapecamel
oilslider tobacco
rmunn orangecamel
Royalflush maroontaj:
Rukasu oil
runningquick colonist
seanp sugar
Threnody nuclear
xandryyte browntaj:

The team with the best code wins, right? That's the rule?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greig
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
Always believe
badge
I went out there in search of experience, to taste and to touch and to feel as much, as a man can before he repents...
mbmbmbmbmb
jmglidden, we meet again. <- not code

Hi all. I got back earlier than expected so I can check in prior to the start of the game.

Code... I'm not much good at code...

Aside from that, just hello and I hope someone from the Albus tribe ends up a winner!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Glidden
United States
Denver
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
/nods to Belash with respect

Good to see you again, Belash.

Is anyone else as bummed as me that we got stuck posting in gross Garou green? I can't stand posting in green. I'd have picked blue if given the chance. I think it conveys a kind of quiet confidence.

See what I mean?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Glidden
United States
Denver
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Melissa, I'm having trouble downloading your code generator spreadsheet. Could you please email it to jmglidden@gmail.com?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmglidden wrote:
Melissa, I'm having trouble downloading your code generator spreadsheet. Could you please email it to jmglidden@gmail.com?

Thanks.

Try it on this:

kiss yuk goo arrrh yuk laugh cry blush whitetaj:

Is anyone else having trouble downloading? Has anyone got it successfully? I think Yekrats did...

I need a couple more space delimiters, I think - it's too obvious that it's goo. Or do we just leave out spaces sometimes?

I am off to bed. If this code is any use (if it's not, no problem) then we need a word list for other words that should be in there as special references.

I think I should be able to combine the alphabet and word lookups into one table, now I think about it.

The other thing I thought of, to make it harder to crack, is that we could technically have 3 or 4 different substitution codes on the go at once - just make, say, the third character of the code be the indicator of which lines of the spreadsheet to use.

I realise I am now officially completely carried away. But tomorrow is a public holiday so I will have more time to play if the rest of you see value in something like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Glidden
United States
Denver
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
melissa wrote:
I realise I am now officially completely carried away.

Welcome to Werewolf SURVIVOR Island. Carried away is the name of the game.

I think your ideas are fantastic. We just need to set them in stone, so to speak. I'm quite confident that this code will come in handy before the end, and I think we've got one that won't be cracked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I will keep playing then.

The next step is a list of common words.

You have suggested 'wolf' and 'the' - I'd add 'and' and 'or'. I looked briefly at the last game & voting doesn't seem to be so important - am I right that that is done here? - so vote and lynch are probably not the important words I expected them to be.

Please add to the list:

wolf
the
albus / green
lupaster / blue
dirus / red

Oh yeah - and obligatory availability post. Detailed so you know when NOT to expect me to be contributing.

The game starts on Monday - my Tuesday. I will be at work from about 3.30pm (BGG time) until let's say 10ish (could be later). After that, though, Biggie is on school holidays so I will be around most of this week and quite a bit of the next. I am usually asleep between about 7am and 2pm (BGG time) - maybe 3ish as it is a holiday. I am generally online as soon as I get up, as well as all evening (from about midnight - 7am, bgg time - not necessarily the whole time, but on & off). Hopefully that may give us an advantage at some critical time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [31] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.