Josh Wheeler
United States
Ammon
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After a game of Struggle of Empires last night, I realized something about my highest ranked games.
They all have, in some form, a "technology tree". So that got me thinking, what game should I move up on my wish list as my next purchase.

The favorite games I speak of are these:
Twilight Imperium 3.0
Struggle of Empires
Mare Nostrum
Dune

I just love these games that have player powers that may start the same but begin to vary significantly through the course of the game. Each of the games I have listed all have their own special charms, of course, but that "tech tree" always seems to hook me.

So, what games am I missing?

Now, I know for sure that Tempus might fall into this category, is that true?
I suppose the Civilization games probably go here, too, but I know I will never find enough people with that kind of commitment in SE Idaho.
7 Ages? Maybe the same issue as Civ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
Vanished Planet is a co-op with a tech tree.

Attika is a lightweight game, with a tech tree of sorts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
Andromeda and Settlers of the Stone Age have them, too, but those might not be as deep as you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davido
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stellar conquest has variable technology that depend on the star-type of the system etc. Easily obtainable from the usual OOP sources (ebay, here, etc)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Now, I know for sure that Tempus might fall into this category, is that true?

No, not really. The "tech tree" in Tempus is a trunk with no limbs. Everybody progresses up the same trunk, and will always be within one technological step of one another. Still a fun game, but not a whole lot of variation between players' civilizations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, these games may be considered to have a "biotech" tree, but the three I thought of first are Wildlife, Evo, and Primordial Soup (Ursuppe). Evolution themed games are by nature (no pun intended) based on the idea of a biological "tech" advancement per species.

Another one that has a literal tech tree is Industria, in which you can actually see the tree on the board. You move from the branches to the trunk visually, even though you are moving from low to high technology along the timeline. It's a tech tree that closes as you get higher up, rather than the reverse that you might expect. Very good game, by the way.

I share your appreciation for the tech tree concept, which is one of the reasons I like the "pseudo-RPG." One of the best implementations of this I have found is the character advancement in World of Warcraft. It functions much the same way as a tech tree, with each character advancing through the levels of their own personal skill and ability deck. You actually get to choose which skill trees you want to pursue, so it's more interesting to me than just getting better at magic, might or movement, as in some other fantasy adventure games.

You might also look at Starship Catan, and Merchant of Venus. They have tech improvements to the spaceships which give you different abilities.

There's also a good geeklist that features games that have individual player boards, where a lot of games with tech tree type systems might be found...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/10673
And another list with games where each player has an individual deck of cards, that might yield other possible tech trees....

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/12135

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"To be honorable and just is our only defense against men without honor or justice." -Diogenes of Sinope
badge
I simply walk into Mordor.
mbmbmbmbmb
Antike, Space Opera, Ursuppe, hmmm - something big I'm missing. I'll check when I get home.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Jacy
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure, but Age of Mythology has a "soldier unit tech tree" of sorts. You can use your resources basically to expand to higher levels of more powerful troops. It is just a "trunk" though, not branching.

It's a quirky game you should read about and see if you like because there seems to be a lot of like/hate of this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.