Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruce X
United States
Unspecified
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can an empire which has chosen to use its random picks to try to get a new unnamed leader still promote a named leader once it has used up all of its random picks? My interpretation is no, but in reading the rules, it does not specify.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Taubman
Australia
Queens Park
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with you - the limit in leaders applies to the total of both named and unnamed leaders. The rules say:

"Your empire can promote one leader if it has fewer leaders on the map than the leader number on its card."

No distinction between named and unnamed leaders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Adlington
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not if you have run out of picks. What is unclear from the text is if with one pick remaining you can take the "sure thing' named leader!

Troy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce X
United States
Unspecified
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Troymk1 wrote:
Not if you have run out of picks. What is unclear from the text is if with one pick remaining you can take the "sure thing' named leader!

Troy

We have played that you can, but it doesn't actually say it either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Anderson
Canada
flag msg tools
You can always take a named leader, not sure I am following the issue correctly?

Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've always played that you either take a named leader or you draw (possibly several times). Once you draw, you will wind up with a generic or no leader.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Hartman
United States
Norfolk
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've always played the same as qzhdad.
IMHO the rules suggest it in that the paragraph on taking a named leader is before the one regarding drawing an unamed leader.
In any event the paragraph regarding unamed leaders says "You can pick again if you haven't already picked as many times as the leader number on the card." To me the use of the word "picked" means drawing an unamed leader since when talking about taking a named leader the rules say "choose" but when drawing an unamed leader the rules say "pick".

No, I'm not a Rules Lawyer....but I play one on TV!

-Cardinal Fang
Have Comfy Chair. Will Travel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce X
United States
Unspecified
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Harry, are you out there to answer this one?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Rowland
Australia
O'Connor
ACT
flag msg tools
designer
Yep we play like Eric and Scott.

Regards
Harry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.