Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Rioux
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all!

I've been playing Puerto Rico for a few weeks now so, I can't say I'm an expert yet but, I'm becoming better to it. Most of the time, I play with my wife in a 2 players game. There is only one wharf in a 2 players game and it seems that lately, the game has become a race to build the wharf. As soon as someone gets it, you can no longer stop him or her from making victory points with that private boat of his or her. My wife discovered the benefit of the wharf so, her only goal now is to get it. As for myself, I try all kind of other strategies to see if I can win anyway (I could buy the wharf too but, I hate to think that this is the only way of winning so, I try other things) but as for now, every time she got the wharf, she won...usually with a lot more victory points than me cuz anytime we use the captain, she can send at least 3-4 barrels more than I because of that darn private boat. The game is slowly losing its interest if this is the only good strategy at 2 players...

Any idea what we can do about it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Wilbur III
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about the harbor? Build a variety of crops/production and then ship the product at +1 for each kind you ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
riouxda wrote:
Hey all!

I've been playing Puerto Rico for a few weeks now so, I can't say I'm an expert yet but, I'm becoming better to it. Most of the time, I play with my wife in a 2 players game. There is only one wharf in a 2 players game and it seems that lately, the game has become a race to build the wharf. As soon as someone gets it, you can no longer stop him or her from making victory points with that private boat of his or her. My wife discovered the benefit of the wharf so, her only goal now is to get it. As for myself, I try all kind of other strategies to see if I can win anyway (I could buy the wharf too but, I hate to think that this is the only way of winning so, I try other things) but as for now, every time she got the wharf, she won...usually with a lot more victory points than me cuz anytime we use the captain, she can send at least 3-4 barrels more than I because of that darn private boat. The game is slowly losing its interest if this is the only good strategy at 2 players...

First - Build the harbor. If she gets the wharf, DO NOT let her get the harbor. Bad... bad bad bad.

At least if you have the harbor, then you will get extra points when you ship.

Second - Control the shipping goods that are on the ships themselves. If you control those types of goods and she does not, then she can only ship through her wharf, while you ship two types of goods each time.

Third - Don't let her take captain. That's key to controlling the shipping.

Fourth - If she grabs Captain before you in a round, Craft right away. Then in the next round, you can grab captain and ship. Also, you get the bonus good rather than her.

Fifth - If she's going for the wharf, you should have the Factory - no question about it. If you can get the factory before she does, then you put her in a bind. If she crafts so she can get shipping goods, she helps you get money. That money, in turn, goes into buying buildings. Basically, once she gets wharf, you try to build as much as possible - get cash any way you can, and buy those big buildings. You need to match what she gets in shipping. Take both of the large buildings that base points on other buildings (e.g., extra points for production buildings and extra points for pink buildings).

Another option - Eliminate Harbor and Wharf entirely from the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gilesclone wrote:
How about the harbor? Build a variety of crops/production and then ship the product at +1 for each kind you ship.

Exactly. Combine this with the Factory, and you have a good chance of not only gaining extra points for shipping to offset her wharf, but every time one of you crafts you get extra cash to buy more buildings. If she is concentrated on shipping goods through the wharf, then she's less focused on accumulating cash to get buildings, which should be the tactic you take.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Lachance
Canada
sherbrooke
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re: 2 players game - Is there a way to win against the wharf
JeremiahClayton wrote:
You should play with the expansion because you can A)remove the Wharf from the game and/or B)play with the Small Wharf to balance the game.

+1

BTW, playing with the expansion for a 2P game, it's a good way to be sure to not using the same strategy for the majority of your games...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Appelbaum
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Where do y'all see the rules saying that there's just one wharf in the two player game? I downloaded the two player rules and the set I have doesn't say anything about limiting the numbers of different buildings, just about how many plantations are available at any one time, which two ships are used, and that you use the prospector.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Fletcher
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AKARed wrote:
Where do y'all see the rules saying that there's just one wharf in the two player game?

It's in the translation of the rules. Here's one:

http://www.morethangames.com/article.php?story=2003061610483...

It says that you only use 1 of each violet building, and 2 of each production building. That leaves you with just one wharf!

Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
whistler
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Knob Creek Manhattan
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The harbor doesn't seem as strong in the 2P game because there are only two ships and my one extra point pales compared to three or so from their wharf/. I've beaten an opponent who had wharf, but never by a good margin. It took a small market, small warehouse, factory, harbor, production of all goods except coffee, and at least two of the following: guild hall, city hall, customs house.

I don't have the expansion. What is the difference between the small wharf and large wharf? (I assume just some limit on capacity.) It might be nice to try that limitation next time to see if things appear more balanced.

BTW, in case it affects your responses, I played with the official 2P rules for awhile and just recently tried another variant I found on these forums: instead of starting with 3 doubloons each and alternatively choosing 6 of 7 role cards, we started with 1 doubloon each and alternatively chose 3 of 6 role cards (no prospector). This seemed more in the spirit of the regular game because there were no back to back turns and there were always three roles unchosen each round. But the wharf still proved a little too dangerous even when countered by the aforementioned list of buildings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
I play two player against my wife. We found the Wharf to be a powerful building. However in the last game we played she made an early grab for the wharf and lost by the widest margin we have seen in a game. Essentially to get the wharf before me it stripped her of cash. I then built up a cash generating setup with my early builds and built like crazy. She was short of money so couldn't always build. I built three large buildings to finish the game quickly and won handsomly. End the game as soon as possible and the wharf loses it's must have status.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
whistler
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Knob Creek Manhattan
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds to me like she lost because of her "early grab". My opponents don't take it until the 7th round at the earliest and always have a ton of cash flow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
If you are going for a build strategy you can end the game within nine turns (build every turn with your last three builds being large buildings) so a turn seven wharf will only operate two or three times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
whistler
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Knob Creek Manhattan
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you get enough cash to manage that?

By the way, can you tell me the difference between a large wharf and a small wharf?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
native_son wrote:
can you tell me the difference between a large wharf and a small wharf?

Unless I'm misremembering, the Small Wharf works like the regular Wharf, but it lets you ship as many barrels as you want of mixed kinds of goods -- the tradeoff being that you only get 1 VP for every 2 barrels that you ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bourrillion
United States
Mountain View
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jon_1066 wrote:
If you are going for a build strategy you can end the game within nine turns (build every turn with your last three builds being large buildings) so a turn seven wharf will only operate two or three times.

Yes, I just used this approach to counter the wharf -- my midgame builds were coffee, large market and factory, after which my opponent had very little way to make any income. I built him to death and slaughtered him 47-35.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
riouxda wrote:
Hey all!

Wouldn't warehouse/stockpiling the goods your opponent is trying to craft/ship be an effective counter as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Dickson
United States
National City
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I can see, Factory beats Wharf every time. So get the Factory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.