Subject: Finally figured out Who You Are in Reef Encounter... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally got my new copy of the Z-man edition of Reef Encounter. Finally. Wow, what a game. But I also finally realized what writers were talking about who wondered who or what you, the player are in the game...are you the Parrotfish? the Shrimp? the Reef itself? the Ecosystem of the reef? the Chaos Principle evident in that ecosystem? the Rock that supports the reef?

Okay, maybe not everyone thought about it that much, but still. Now, after much consideration, I have decided that in Reef Encounter, the Player is the Unseen Patron Saint of the _____ Species of Parrotfish (insert color in the blank). You're a semi-omnipotent being influencing the coral reef ecology for the benefit of one specific species of parrotfish. I have looked it up and there are, in nature, several different species of parrotfish. The colored shrimp simply represent an abstraction of the given species of parrotfish's total shrimp intake.

Discuss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Teplin
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I think you're a geek playing a game called Reef Encounter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This cracks me up because a few weeks ago my daughter and I were debating who you were when you played Max the Cat and came to a very similar conclusion -- you were some benign presence sent there to protect the smaller creatures without starving or hurting the cat. I suggested patron saint or guardian angel, but she held firm that the players are a gang of especially nice kids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Marchlewitz
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Man...did you ever get it wrong.
You're a spec in the eye on the flea on the fly on the wart on the frog on the bump on the log in the whole in the bottom of the sea.

How it's not obvious to some people is beyond me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
You're the bubbles floating from the fish's butt!!!

THAT'S RIGHT!!! YOU'RE A FART!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom "Snicker Daddy" Pancoast
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clearly you are a parrot fisk with god-like powers to make coral grow and to control shrimp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burke Glover
United States
Unspecified
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
You are NEPTUNE! Lord of the underwater realm. At least I am, when I'm playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Stephenson
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
I do not run and hide... I strategically maneuver.
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps some of the posters on this thread have misread the title and have been playing "Reefer Encounter" instead...? laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
People joke, but I think the vagueness of "Who You Are in Reef Encounter" makes the game's theme feel sorta pasted on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.