Heroscape Master Set: Rise of the Valkyrie» Forums » General

Subject: Heroscape? Dual of Ages? or what? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zachary Hawk
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
I am kind of just getting into board games. I have been playing Settlers and Carcassonne for about a month now and been browsing around BGG. I came across this game and Dual of Ages and love the idea of Unique characters from different eras. My first impressions is the miniatures and custom battle grounds for Heroscape must be awesome and lots of fun but the more strategic feel and looks like more variety, with the addition to real life characters, of Dual of Ages would also be great.
I'm just having a hard time deciding which one I would want to get or if there might be something like these out there that I would like even more. Basically are there any suggestions out there for me? Thanks a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a DoA player but I am a Heroscape fan. You can get into the basic Heroscape set now for under $35 at most retail outlets (even less on eBay). It comes with a great selection of characters and scenarios. Heroscape is a minatures game with both basic and advanced rules to suit your taste (and even age group). I've played a demo game of DoA and found the rules to be more complex than with Heroscape with a need to keep track of more information through the various cards and items added to characters. With HS, what you have on the card is what your figure has to fight with (though glyphs and other characters may modify this). IMHO, it's a cleaner system.

Then there's the coolness or toy factor (depending on how you look at it). HS has great terrain that can be set up to your liking and the painted minis are better than average and good value for the money. DoA is geomorphic but more limited in setup however, with the expansions, it can get to be a very large play area as well. But the HS minis win out over the thin DoA boards and tokens in my book.

Both games have a good following but I think that HS is more accessible. I you were to get all the DoA expansions along with the base game it would probably run you about $160 depending on your retailer. HS could run much more in the long run if you got hooked on getting one of every set that comes out, but again there's no need for that unless you find you really like the game.

HS shines with 2 players and sizes well to teams of 2 also. DoA seems to play better with more players. I like the point balancing system of HS as well. Overall, my personal preference goes to Heroscape. I found a lot of fun in the base set box.meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Baumbach
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I myself have Heroscape, and have played Duel of the Ages.

Honestly, Duel of the Ages isn't that bad. It plays quickly, the charactesrs are balanced (at least the ones we used) and the modular battlefield is a neat mechanic. The only downside is that some of the gameplay falls flat for me. Cross-checking a chart for what you need to hit or do something and comparing colors and whatever aren't my favorite mechanics.

Heroscape, on the other hand, takes a bit to set up and if you have two or more people who think out their moves, it can take awhile to play. The upside is that the abilities and attributes of every miniature are self-explanatory. The system is not difficult and you don't need charts to figure out combat. Plus ... neat miniatures. I really like the miniatures.

I'm an old Necromunda fan, so I may be biased. Both games are good, just Heroscape appeals to me due to 3-D terrain and minatures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Houserule Jay
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DOA is my favourite game so I am biased here, click on my profile to read my review to see what its all about. It doesn't play too quickly to have a good fun game which is why it falls flat for people, 3 hours should be the minimum but its so worth it, there are several other reasons why it can fall flat as well outlined in my review. If you like Magic, D&D and war games this is "the game" that combines them. The colour chart takes a bit of getting used to as do a couple of things but after it is a non-issue. Your right on the replay as well, just owning the first 2 sets make this the highest replay game in my collection. Happy hunting...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cavaliere
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zach,
I play lots of Carcassonne and Settlers too as well as owning HeroScape and playing it a lot. I don't know much about DoA but I can at least say I play HS as much as I do the other two. I've also heard of a Settlers of HeroScape version someone created. I'm not sure how well it would play, but someday I have to try it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Hawk
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Thanks, it sounds like Heroscape is probably the easier one to get into. If I get it and later on feel like I need something different I'll probably get a used DOA on Ebay, they look pretty affordable. If I like Heroscape enough, I'll probably get it anyway. Thanks for all the help. I have a limited budget, so the Master Set will do fine for now, what's the reccomendations on first expansions though?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cavaliere
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are 6-7 expansions out now (depending on how you want to count them). There are 4 sets of additional heros and figures (wave 1-4) and 2 sets with terrain and figures. Then there is one additional set of just heros. I like them all so I would suggest finding what you can first, and then check out what price you want to pay. The terrain and large hero packs are about $20+ each. The smaller (wave) expansions can run you about $10 each if you find them at Wal-Mart. If you'd like to see all the abilities each new character adds I'd suggest finding photos of their cards on this website or on HeroScapeHQ.com. I've added all of them to my collection and in some cases you end up adding 2 or 3 copies of 'common squad' because they work better together that way. It gets addicting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.