Honor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

last update: Sun. 04/02, 18:50 GST.

Late Sign-Ups are closed. Period.

Official Tournament Thread: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/866941#866941

Well, it's about time your Tournament Director got his behind in gear!!

Yes, I will again be running a 2-player Tigris and Euphrates tournament. There will, however, be some significant changes from last year, which I will detail below and in the Rules thread.

Entry fee: 3 GeekGold. If you are GG destitute (very few should be, considering the St. Patrick's Day gift from Aldie), there will be gold available (Just contribute a short essay or anecdote to this thread about playing in the tournament - or about anything!). You must pay your entry fee to be officially signed up. Please let me know with your entry if you are planning on being on the 28-day schedule.

Sign-Up Deadline: March 31 - I will still take folks on a first-come-first-served basis after the 31st. The 31st will also be the final day for refunds.

Prizes: To be determined, based on total number of entrants and any additional prize monies contributed. For last year's tournament, MaBi's total winnings were 60 GG, so First Place will be at least that much. If there's enough GG in the pot, players will receive 1 GG/victory. (Current additional prizes: 74 GG)

Basic format: Swiss (no divisions), 2-player, open scoring, 14-day turnarounds (there will also be a 28-day accommodation), victory point awards/penalties. Start date is tentatively April 2 or 3; number of rounds to be determined based on the number of sign-ups (8 rounds at this point).

Rules: see this thread ... http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/835779#835779
If you have any Rule questions/concerns/suggestions, please post them with that thread. Signing Up for the tournament and paying an entry fee will constitute understanding and acceptance of the Tournament Rules.

For anyone who has never used the BGG E&T interface, I highly recommend you play a game or two before the start of the tournament:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/tigris/gamemgr.php

14- or 28-Day Schedule: The majority of players should find the 14-day schedule adequate. If you are sure you will need to be on a 28-day schedule, please let me know. If after the first round or two it seems evident that a player on the 14-day schedule needs to be on the 28-day schedule, that change can be made. A match between a 14-day player and a 28-day player will always be on the 28-day schedule. 28-day players will always be scheduled for at least 2 matches at once; this may also be true at times for 14-day players. During the first round (only), I will survey all games and may change some 14-day games to 28-day based on their progress and do player re-assignments at that time as well.

Threads: This thread is for sign-ups, general information, questions; once the tournament begins, there will be a new Official Tournament thread.

Rules Thread: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/835779#835779

Tournament Thread: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/866941#866941

Signed Up: (alphabetical)

14-day:

adiamant
aladdinsdad
Ardneh42
Belash
Billtje

ChemEPlumber
Craig
Csigs
dolzandavid
FlyingPenguin

fullerbd
funpaul
Gamegrunt
goldenboat
GreatWolf

Greyshoe
HBGlover
hseldon
jacty
johan100

jomblo69
Karlsen
katjaficko
kimapesan
Klifiek

Koert
kwik
Latria
lenalbertson
Leonardo

Lofcaudio
LORDs_diakonos
louiseh
MaBi
Mark Smith

melissa
micheni
mikegraham77
Moviebuffs
nishikawa-collector

nnf1
oblacka
oblakec
Paul1
qzhdad

rmartinc
Rooker
schlappy
sdhockeyboy
seamusk

shugyosha
shumyum
sterno joe
suarezhm *
SumbuddyStopMe

texasjdl
Thommy8
TMJJS
yahkeh
yazpah

* = 28 day

Sponsors:

nnf1

yahkeh

ChemEPlumber

jomblo69

If anyone else would like to throw some GG into the prize pot, I will certainly not mind. If you are interested in helping people without GG join the tournament, please let me know, though I don't think that it is an issue in light of our luck in being Irish. Sponsors will have their avatars splashed across tournament threads and posts, perhaps with a short text message of their choosing. Thank you's: Moviebuffs, pdclose, nnf1, ChemEPlumber, jomblo69, sterno joe, and yahkeh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Fuller
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludes
United States
Honor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fullerbd wrote:
I'm in.

And IN the sign-up list you'll be as soon as we see some .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karen Babcock
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Count me in :-)

--Karen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludes
United States
Honor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FlyingPenguin wrote:
Count me in :-)

--Karen

Great to have you back, Karen, but gosh, darn, I was hoping you'd maybe want to be an assistant TD or something ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karen Babcock
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I recall, I was robbed (robbed, I tell ya!) of my chance at fame and glory last tournament, so this is my chance at a comeback! But if you get too many players, I can drop out to be an assistant TD .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Macbride
Australia
Vic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In something with as much tile-drawing luck as E&T, might it be worth having 2-game matches with a 3rd game as tie-breaker? (... like the way Magic tournaments are run) That would make it much less likely that players would be hurt by close games which swing one way because one player simply doesn't draw the tiles they need. Admittedly, it would also make the tournament take roughly twice as long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Mark,

Sounds great, thanks for running this, I'm in

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B B
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in again! GG already paid.
thumbsup LudesFactor thumbsup

P.S. I'm a little bit critical about the following rule:
Quote:
Finishing Games (14-day schedule):
+ within 7 days - both players receive 4 VPs;
+ within 10 days - both players receive 2 VPs;
+ game reaches 15th day - both players penalized 3 VPs; each day thereafter, both players penalized 1 VP/day; starting day 18, 3 VPs/day each

I am someone who has the luxury of being able to do a move the whole day. In other words, if it is my turn between 8.00h and 22.00h, I'll probably do my move within half an hour (I have to eat sometimes ). But if the other player is not able to do that, I will lose VP. There is the rule
Quote:
If it is obvious that only 1 of the players is "at fault" for a game's delay, that player will probably accrue all of the total assessed penalties that both players would have had.

but what if my opponent lives in e.g. the US or Australia (I live in Europe), then it is possible (because of the time difference) that we can not finish our game within 7 days, even if we do immediately our move when we get up in the morning...
I understand why this rule is applied, but I'm curious how it will affect the score. We'll see
(EDIT: typo)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in and paid for.

As an international player, I am worried about the vp issue raised above. Despite that, I would like to play on the 14 day schedule. I can usually get in 2 moves each day, which is more than ample.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludes
United States
Honor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FlyingPenguin wrote:
As I recall, I was robbed (robbed, I tell ya!) of my chance at fame and glory last tournament, so this is my chance at a comeback! But if you get too many players, I can drop out to be an assistant TD .

Thanks, but I'd rather see you get your shot at fame and glory ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sign me up, please. I'll give this game one more try

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludes
United States
Honor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Klifiek wrote:
I'm in again! GG already paid.
thumbsup LudesFactor thumbsup

P.S. I'm a little bit critical about the following rule:
Quote:
Finishing Games (14-day schedule):
+ within 7 days - both players receive 4 VPs;
+ within 10 days - both players receive 2 VPs;
+ game reaches 15th day - both players penalized 3 VPs; each day thereafter, both players penalized 1 VP/day; starting day 18, 3 VPs/day each

I am someone who has the luxury of being able to do a move the whole day. In other words, if it is my turn between 8.00h and 22.00h, I'll probably do my move within half an hour (I have to eat sometimes ). But if the other player is not able to do that, I will lose VP. There is the rule
Quote:
If it is obvious that only 1 of the players is "at fault" for a game's delay, that player will probably accrue all of the total assessed penalties that both players would have had.

but what if my opponent lives in e.g. the US or Australia (I live in Europe), then it is possible (because of the time difference) that we can not finish our game within 7 days, even if we do immediately our move when we get up in the morning...
I understand why this rule is applied, but I'm curious how it will affect the score. We'll see
(EDIT: typo)

Before the start of the playoffs last year, I did some research into the elapsed times of the games (thank you, Karen Babcock!!). I don't have the data in front of me or recall precisely, but I seem to recollect that there was only 1 game that was longer than 15 days between players that I considered "faster" and that one clocked in at 17 days. Anything longer involved at least one of the "slower" players, who will be relegated to the 28-day schedule this year. With (presumably) several dozens of players and the need for a rigid schedule, having the games finish in a timely manner will be more critical this year, hence the incentives and disincentives. We can only see how it goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludes
United States
Honor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
melissa wrote:
I'm in and paid for.

As an international player, I am worried about the vp issue raised above. Despite that, I would like to play on the 14 day schedule. I can usually get in 2 moves each day, which is more than ample.

If the 14-day schedule doesn't work out, there's always the 28-day. Do we know yet if Fraser is playing again this year? I bet a potential melissa-karlsen match-up will generate a bit of excitement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Massimo B.
Italy
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Of course I'm in.
First of all I want to thank you Mark for taking the trouble of organizing this. You will get all the work and troubles and we players all the fun! .

Allow me a bit of criticism on two points (and please take them as constructive criticism, I really like all the rest of your proposal).

1) GeekGold entry fee.
To me the whole GeekGold thing is total nonsense, but without going off topic, I don't see any need for entry fees. Last year there was the argument that a certain commitment was necessary (but how can you commit yourself with something as worthless as GG?), but now if someone joins the tournament and then leaves, what's the problem? One of the many advantages of swiss system is that it can easily accommodate for dropouts.
You already know the disadvantages of GG fees: a lot of good E&T players don't have any, as they don't care about them. Last year it was a pure chance I had exactly the 2 GG required, otherwise I wouldn't have joined the tournament.
Anyway, I still have all the GG earned with last year's victory and, saved for the 3GG I will send you now, it's all available for players wanting to join who don't have enough GG (there goes the commitment).

2) "Victory Points".
Don't like them. I'm dubious about "match score" VPs and I'm 100% sure that the time-related ones are a bad idea. Are they meant as an incentive for players to play faster? Do you think there is a reason why someone intentionally plays slower than he could? We all make our moves whenever we can, and if we cannot it's not our fault. And what about games where players are in different time-zones? They are automatically penalized.
I think the 14/28 days time-limit is enough to assure the tournament will move at good pace. Those who can move only once a week will not even bother to join.
Anyway, if VPs are used only as second criteria after wins/losses, I hope their effect will be negligible enough not to ruin anything, so I can live with them (but if this is the case, why to use them in the first place?).

Ok, enough with criticism! I think the swiss system is a very good idea, and I'm sure the tournament will be a lot of fun and even better than last year (especially if I will be able to win again ).

MaBi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
Sign me up ... 14 days schedule .... fee paid.

Nick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul O'Connor
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paid up and in

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
LudesFactor wrote:
melissa wrote:
I'm in and paid for.

If the 14-day schedule doesn't work out, there's always the 28-day. Do we know yet if Fraser is playing again this year? I bet a potential melissa-karlsen match-up will generate a bit of excitement.

But I suck at two player E&T, especially when playing against Melissa (where I believe our record is 9-2 in her favour).

But if it is for the fans...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Rugård Jensen
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Paid for, and I hope I am in.
Hope this will be fun...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Macbride
Australia
Vic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MaBi wrote:

2) "Victory Points".
Don't like them. I'm dubious about "match score" VPs and I'm 100% sure that the time-related ones are a bad idea. Are they meant as an incentive for players to play faster? Do you think there is a reason why someone intentionally plays slower than he could? We all make our moves whenever we can, and if we cannot it's not our fault. And what about games where players are in different time-zones? They are automatically penalized.

Swiss based just on games won will leave lots of people on equal scores. To have a table, it's useful to have some way to break all the ties. MtG uses game %, etc, but many of those are only possible because they play up to 3 games per match. Match score VPs look good to me. Someone who lost a very close game probably deserves more credit than someone who was annihilated.

As for time-related VPs, the only bad thing about them seems to me that it benefits both players, even if one is much faster than another. If everyone plays 2 moves per day, 14 days is enough to finish a game. If we find a compatible time to play several turns in a row, 7 days is easy.

And, yes, some people do not make moves whenever they can. It's called priorities. Some people join a game and then drop out entirely. Some find they aren't doing well and don't care any more. Hopefully the VP incentive for speed will push those players' priorities in the direction of completing tournament games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herbert Suarez
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SH W
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll join. I hope you don't mind a complete newbie with 2 player T&E. I have only played 4-player games so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludes
United States
Honor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Latria wrote:
I'll join. I hope you don't mind a complete newbie with 2 player T&E. I have only played 4-player games so far.

Glad you could join. 2-Player definitely has a different "feel" to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seamus Kleissler
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
definitely count me in. i'll pay up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Casiglio
United States
Ansonia
CT
flag msg tools
ConnCon 2018 March 23, 24, 25 in Stamford, CT
badge
mbmbmb
I'll join! But before I commit ... I have no computer access at work and would (at best) be able to log on two times a day (mornings and late evenings, eastern US time).

I take it that would be often enough for a 14 day game, yes?

Oh and I've got all of two games of E&T under my belt and neither one is two player so somebody should be happy to be getting my free geek gold. cry cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.