Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Plant #14 stinks so heavily its hard to believe its not a missprint.

#14 2 garbage => 2 power

This costs more than these superior plants:

#10 2 coal => 2 power
#11 1 nuke => 2 power
#12 2 hybrid => 2 power

I'm wondering if there was a missprint and it was meant to be:

#14 1 garbage => 2 power
?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know there was one misprinted plant, but can't remember which one it was. check here for erratta

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nah. I believe 29 was the original misprint.

Garbage starts out very slow compared to the other resources. Plant 14 isn't anything special, just like most of the other lower plants are nothing special.

For nukes, they always use 1, and coal and oil start out cheaper....especially coal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a misprint, and depending on the price of garbage, a perfectly viable plant. This plant is often used when playing on the italy map, for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
One feature of Power Grid is that some plants are much better than others. This makes auction strategy important.

It seems that Power Grid was designed to support expansion maps. France and Italy was just released. The expansions include new maps and new rules, but they don't include new power plants, which would be costly to print. In the France rules, uranium is much cheaper at the start of the game. This makes the #11 nuclear plant, which is typically scorned in the regular game, highly desirable. I can imagine that another set of rules could include plentiful trash. This could make the #14 a plant to go after.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I also have to say that when everyone else goes coal and oil, i have often gone nukes with a touch of garbage or vice-versa and sailed on to the win.

On the flip-side (pun intended), garbage lead me to the win in France.....we left out the center section....wow that's a toughie, and efficiency of plants is important....and I landed the garbage and the good nukes...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Plants 6 and 14 are very poor, due to the shortage of garbage in the early game, especially with a small number of players. Even on the Italian map (with more starting garbage and less startign coal and oil) I find 6 worthless in a three player game. In a four player game on the Italian map, 6 becomes a viable first round plant.

Plant 14 is better than 6, but still weak. With more players, there's more garbage, so eventually garbage plants are good. It's part of the varying character of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.